FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What are the advantages of having a big family?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd think a big family would be cool (5+ children) but I'm not sure if I could handle it. I only have one brother and the idea of having many kids seems overwhelming but I've seen Catholic families who had up to 12-15 kids, and it's impressive. Also, families back then were big. I live near a small town with only older people and I haven't seen any big families. Usually, there are 2 kids per family, and there's alot of single moms. So, I'm worried we might stick out if we choose to have a lot of kids.
I had eight children in sixteen years and now the oldest is retired, and the next two oldest are semi-retired. Both my husband and myself came from large extended families and we wanted a large family. Of course, I had to strictly baby-proof part of the house with locks for kitchen drawers, and a gate before the cellar stairs. A great advantage is that the children played with each other! Toys were all over the floor in the 9 x 12 living room. After the sixth child was born we had a 12 x 24 slab job added to the side of the house. We had four boys and four girls.

Now I have twelve grandchildren and five great-grandchildren with two more on the way. Of course, I could write a book about happy times, and scary times.

It is great to have a large family, and I bet the ones with two would admire larger families and wish they had them.

My inspiration was my peaceful Grandma who had seven children in two and a half rooms after coming to live in "little Italy" in Manhattan. I loved hearing the stories of their six girls and one boy. The boy slept on a cot in the kitchen, and the six girls had to share one full bed....three at the foot, and three at the head of the bed.

What impressed me is that the closeness of the family remained after they moved to Brooklyn in a four-family apartment house. The aunts and the one uncle and their spouses lived all over the neighborhood, and some were in that apartment building..... and I had many cousins. Holidays were held in the basement which wasn't fancy, but we didn't notice that.

There is nothing wrong with hand-me-down clothes and knowing how to stretch the food budget.

Now the children are all over the United States and there are visits when possible and communication via internet and telephone. I had to do, and still do, a lot of praying....which is good for me as well as for those I pray for.

Blessings to you!
(02-26-2022, 02:44 PM)Grandma Wrote: [ -> ]I had eight children in sixteen years  and now the oldest is retired, and the next two oldest are semi-retired.  Both my husband and myself came from large extended families and we wanted a large family.  Of course, I had to strictly baby-proof part of the house with locks for kitchen drawers, and a gate before the cellar stairs.  A great advantage is that the children played with each other!  Toys were all over the floor in the 9 x 12 living room.  After the sixth child was born we had a 12 x 24 slab job added to the side of the house.  We had four boys and four girls.

Now I have twelve grandchildren and five great-grandchildren with two more on the way.  Of course, I could write a book about happy times, and scary times.

It is great to have a large family, and I bet the ones with two would admire larger families and wish they had them.

My inspiration was my peaceful Grandma who had seven children in two and a half rooms after coming to live in "little Italy" in Manhattan.  I loved hearing the stories of their six girls and one boy.  The boy slept on a cot in the kitchen, and the six girls had to share one full bed....three at the foot, and three at the head of the bed.

What impressed me is that the closeness of the family remained after they moved to Brooklyn in a four-family apartment house.  The aunts and the one uncle and their spouses lived all over the neighborhood, and some were in that apartment building..... and I had many cousins.  Holidays were held in the basement which wasn't fancy, but we didn't notice that.

There is nothing wrong with hand-me-down clothes and knowing how to stretch the food budget.

Now the children are all over the United States and there are visits when possible and communication via internet and telephone.  I had to do, and still do, a lot of praying....which is good for me as well as for those I pray for.

Blessings to you!
That is impressive, 2.5 rooms with 7 children! I like the idea of being frugal and it makes you appreciate things more. And thank you, your experience helps!
I’m the youngest of 10.  The one point I can make, because I have very few children of my own, is that a large group of siblings is great throughout life, not just when you are all under one roof.  It is a lifelong support network.
(02-26-2022, 02:44 PM)Grandma Wrote: [ -> ]I had eight children in sixteen years  and now the oldest is retired, and the next two oldest are semi-retired.  Both my husband and myself came from large extended families and we wanted a large family.  Of course, I had to strictly baby-proof part of the house with locks for kitchen drawers, and a gate before the cellar stairs.  A great advantage is that the children played with each other!  Toys were all over the floor in the 9 x 12 living room.  After the sixth child was born we had a 12 x 24 slab job added to the side of the house.  We had four boys and four girls.

Now I have twelve grandchildren and five great-grandchildren with two more on the way.  Of course, I could write a book about happy times, and scary times.

My inspiration was my peaceful Grandma who had seven children in two and a half rooms after coming to live in "little Italy" in Manhattan.  I loved hearing the stories of their six girls and one boy.  The boy slept on a cot in the kitchen, and the six girls had to share one full bed....three at the foot, and three at the head of the bed.

What impressed me is that the closeness of the family remained after they moved to Brooklyn in a four-family apartment house.  The aunts and the one uncle and their spouses lived all over the neighborhood, and some were in that apartment building..... and I had many cousins.  Holidays were held in the basement which wasn't fancy, but we didn't notice that.

Now the children are all over the United States and there are visits when possible and communication via internet and telephone.  I had to do, and still do, a lot of praying....which is good for me as well as for those I pray for.

Blessings to you!
God reward you!
More souls for Heaven. That fact alone should prevent anyone from not striving to have as many children as possible.
My wife is the youngest of 13. She is amazing and a great woman.

The advantage of a large family is it makes people better.
So, small families makes people worst?
No, it does not make worse people.  Large families, on average, may make more accomodating folks.  My wife is one of 11, I am one of 2.  Different dynamics.  I have had many conversations about the diffculty of large families these days.  Many opinions not many facts.
(06-06-2022, 11:26 AM)Ioannes_L Wrote: [ -> ]So, small families makes people worst?

As an only child, I have to say yes. Anything else would be a lie.
Pages: 1 2