FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pipe smokers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey gang, any pipe smokers out there?

Kevin
I used to for a long time.  I have about 40 pipes.  Then I made the mistake of starting back on the cigs [Image: frown.gif]
Oh noooooooooo Quis.......buy some nice Virginian, get out one of the great smokers, sit down in a comfy chair with a suitable beverage,slowly fill it...light it and throw thus butts away !!!
I smoke a pipe. [Image: pipe.gif]  I only have five pipes.
I used to have 5 briars and 6 meerschaum(sp).

I quit smoking alltogether almost 8 years ago and they had to go!

I miss smoking a pipe, though.
I had a couple of briars years ago that I smoked once in awhile. I quit smoking cigarettes about fifteen years ago (although I still have one on occasion). The idea of having smoke of any kind in the house now seems very bizarre.
I'm not a guy ( ;) ) but my husband smokes a pipe.  He started about a year after he first began smoking.  He is a cigar and pipe man but mostly smokes pipes.  He's got four briars but is interested in good estate pipes.  His pride and joy is his 18" stemmed church warden by Stanwell of Denmark.  He's a delivery driver at night and I bought him a very small 1 pinch pipe for his birthday last year to use while driving.  He delivers your food with pizza in one hand and a pipe in the other! 

[Image: bills%20pipe%20II.JPG?msg=1304&part=1&large=0]
[Image: bills%20pipes%20I.JPG?msg=1305&part=1&large=0]

KevinM Wrote:Oh noooooooooo Quis.......buy some nice Virginian, get out one of the great smokers, sit down in a comfy chair with a suitable beverage,slowly fill it...light it and throw thus butts away !!!

It's kind of ironic, but my favorite pipe tobacco was Three Nuns.   [Image: laff.gif]

Virginia, I think Burley, and Perique for zest!  The Perique is the key.  It's only grown in a tiny patch of land in Lousiana.

Then they screwed with the blend and it wasn't the same anymore, so I started blending it by hand.  If I smoke Latakia, my wife makes faces.

I'll have to dust them off.  I have only 2 Meerschaums - the rest are mostly briar.  My favorite pipes are Petersons.  I collected pipes over like 12 years some new, some estates.  Never anything too fancy because I tend to be rough with them, and I usually bite through the stem after a while.

I like cigars, but they are way too expensive now.  I smoke like one a year.

nicollette Wrote:I'm not a guy ( ;) ) but my husband smokes a pipe.  He started about a year after he first began smoking.  He is a cigar and pipe man but mostly smokes pipes.  He's got four briars but is interested in good estate pipes.  His pride and joy is his 18" stemmed church warden by Stanwell of Denmark.  He's a delivery driver at night and I bought him a very small 1 pinch pipe for his birthday last year to use while driving.  He delivers your food with pizza in one hand and a pipe in the other! 

Church wardens are nice, and Stanwell makes very good pipes.  I have I think two of them.  Another thing to look for are "seconds".  They're basically irregulars.  The wood is fine and everything, but has some blemish so they won't sell it under the brand name.  Peterson has nice seconds - they are usually unfinished, and as you smoke them they darken a bit almost like a meerschaum.

I had one of those "coffee break" pipes, but I couldn't do it.  I like a nice 40-60 minute smoke.

Unrelated, meershcaums are a pain.  The hardcore guys smoke them with a glove until they're almost black because the oil from your hands can make them color unevenly.  And when they're wet, they get really soft.  I don't have the patience.

How does your hubby clean his estates?  Boil alcohol or salt and whiskey?  I used to just do salt and whiskey.  Didn't die so far [Image: wink.gif]

I used to be a Pipe smoker but also made the mistake of going back to ciggs, but going to make an effort to just quit alltogether for some time.