FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Yogurt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it okay to eat yogurt that's been at room temperature for a day or two if the seal hasn't been broken?
I'd toss it for sure, but here's something from Wikipedia:

Quote:Pasteurized yoghurt has a shelf life of months and does not require refrigeration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt

Why risk it though?

Even if it's not contaminated because it is sealed and pastuerized, it may do something nasty to your digestive system because those "active cultures" are now "very active cultures".

In common terms, you may find yourself full of gas to the point of pain or at the least to the suffering of those around you.

I'd pitch it unless you were going to use it in something cooked.
After working at a grocery store, I've seen some pretty strange stuff in the dairy department.

This leads me to conclude that...

You COULD eat it if you really desired to, BUT...

I'd say toss it unless you're starving to death.

Best of luck,

Pinoy Monk

QuisUtDeus Wrote: 

In common terms, you may find yourself full of gas to the point of pain or at the least to the suffering of those around you.

Its worth the pain. Eat it.
Waste not, want not. Grab a spoon and eat up.
Marty Wrote:Its worth the pain. Eat it.

What if it's soy yogurt?

I'm actually more inclined to eat it, because it happens way too often that I take a yogurt to school in my lunch and then don't eat it and it gets left in my bookbag till the next morning. But I don't want to get eaten alive by those "very active cultures."
If it is indeed soy (as you seem to suggest), I vote as Marty does.

Pitch it.

PinoyMonk Wrote:If it is indeed soy (as you seem to suggest), I vote as Marty does.

Pitch it.

I was only joking, because of his signiture. I would never eat (or drink) soy anything.