FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: ADL Blasts Falwell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From seattlepi.nwsource.com:
[/url] 

Falwell's 'vote Christian' criticized
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LYNCHBURG, Va. -- A Jewish organization is calling on the Rev. Jerry Falwell to retract a "vote Christian in 2008" statement made months ago in a letter raising money for his ministries.

The criticism of Falwell appeared Monday on the Web site of the Anti-Defamation League, a group organized in 1913 to fight anti-Semitism.

Falwell, founder of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., and Moral Majority, included with his mass fundraising letter for Falwell Ministries a sticker that reads, "I Vote Christian."

Abraham Foxman, the Anti-Defamation League's national director, said Falwell's statements are "directly at odds with the American ideal and should be rejected."

Quote:Yes, in America, no one but Jews are allowed to vote -- or admit to voting -- for their own interests and ideologies.

"Understanding the danger of combining religion and politics, our founding fathers wisely created a political system based on individual merit and religious inclusiveness," Foxman said.

Quote:Which translates to "Christians, don't vote according to your conscience! Divide yourself up into parts: the religious man and the political man, and ne'er let the twain meet. This is psychologically healthy and only makes sense according to the meaning of religion -- an acceptance of certain things as ultimately true, but not when acting on those truths could affect anything.

Falwell told The News & Advance of Lynchburg Tuesday that his statement was misunderstood.

"What I was saying was for conservative Christian voters to vote their values, which are pro-life and pro-family," Falwell said. "I had no intention of being anti-Jewish at all."

Quote:Well, for Christian voters to vote for their "values" is "anti-Jewish," Jerry. And you might want to powder that nose; the brown is showing.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Remember this from Foxman's
ADL?:

[url=http://www.adl.org/PresRele/IslME_62/4488_62.htm] 
In Major Address, Sen. John Kerry Reaffirms His Strong Commitment to Israel

Washington, DC, May 3, 2004 … U.S. Senator John Kerry reaffirmed his commitment to Israel's safety and security Monday, assuring the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) that he would remain a staunch supporter of the Jewish State if he is elected president.

In his first major address to an American Jewish audience since becoming the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Sen. Kerry reminisced about how he traveled to Israel earlier in his Senate career on a mission sponsored by ADL. He said he was a stalwart supporter of Israel then, and has remained one ever since.

"I want you to know that as President, it will be my promise to the people of Israel that I will never force Israel to make concessions that will force Israel to compromise its security," Sen. Kerry told a gathering of more than 500 leaders at the ADL's National Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C.

Quote:Why was Kerry, a man who was running for the UNITED STATES' Presidency, making campaign promises to "the people of Israel"? Were they voting for him? (actually, most probably were, what with the dual citizenship and all).

"We will also never negotiate in the Middle East without a credible partner, and it is my commitment to work to help that partner evolve."

Sen. Kerry commended ADL for leading the fight against anti-Semitism and bigotry all over the world, citing its work at the recent Conference on anti-Semitism in Berlin sponsored by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

On the subject of fighting anti-Semitism and bigotry, he said: "While there is progress, we know there is also great peril. We know that fear can still infect the places where tolerance lives. And, too often, we have seen the light of hope overcome by the shadow of hate."

Sen. Kerry said the ultimate expression of bigotry and hatred in the world is terrorism, and he noted that terrorism is a part of daily life in Israel. Sen. Kerry reiterated his strong commitment to the safety and security of Israel, and he pledged that as President, he will work to destroy terrorism wherever it threatens humanity.

"We face a fundamental struggle of values: democracy against terror, diversity against tyranny," Sen. Kerry said. "Let's be clear: the War on Terror is not a clash of civilizations. It is a clash of civilization against fanaticism – of the progress of humanity against the primitive fears of the few."

Sen. Kerry was among a number of high-profile leaders and administration officials scheduled to address the two-day ADL conference. Dr. Condoleezza Rice, the National Security Advisor, was scheduled to address the gathering of ADL leaders on Tuesday.

On Monday in a session dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, ADL leaders heard from Daniel Ayalon, the Israeli Ambassador to the U.S., William J. Burns, Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, and David Makovsky, a Senior Fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

In a session on European anti-Semitism, ADL leaders heard from Senator Marcello Pera, President of the Italian Senate, and U.S. Rep. Christopher Smith (R-NJ) who discussed his participation as a member of the U.S. delegation to the recent OSCE Conference on anti-Semitism in Berlin.

ADL's meeting also included sessions on Israel's Disengagement Plan, the Fallout from Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ," and the prospects for democracy in the Arab world.

Quote:But remember, folks, having a sticker that reads "Vote Christian" is "directly at odds with the American ideal and should be rejected."

The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.
[Vox: real or imagined, and against Jews alone]

VoxClamantis Wrote:

Falwell told The News & Advance of Lynchburg Tuesday that his statement was misunderstood.

"What I was saying was for conservative Christian voters to vote their values, which are pro-life and pro-family," Falwell said. "I had no intention of being anti-Jewish at all."

Quote:Well, for Christian voters to vote for their "values" is "anti-Jewish," Jerry. And you might want to powder that nose; the brown is showing.

You know though - he could just be stating the truth without brown nosing.

He could very well have made that statement without the intention of being anti-Jewish in the negative way that the ADL is claiming.  They're claiming that he made the statement with an intention to be hateful toward Jews.  I'm betting Falwell didn't even think of Jews when he made his statement.

Yes, being Christian is "anti-Jewish" in the pure meaning of the phrase.  We are not Jewish and our beliefs, while stemming from the same early traditions, are contra-Judaism.  But what the ADL is accusing Falwell of is something far different than just holding beliefs that are contrary to Jewish theology.  They are accusing Falwell of a KKK and Nazi Germany type of hatred for Jews.

So were Falwell remarks anti-Jewish in the pure sense of the term?  Yup.

But were his remarks anti-Jewish in the ADL's definition of the term?  The type of definition that defines anything "anti-Jewish" as "hate" and will end up stripping people of their right to express their opinions?  Nope.

I don't think Falwell is necessarily 'brown-nosing' for trying to defend himself against the ADL slander machine by simply saying that they're wrong in their assertions.

CaroleK Wrote:You know though - he could just be stating the truth without brown nosing.

He could very well have made that statement without the intention of being anti-Jewish in the negative way that the ADL is claiming.  They're claiming that he made the statement with an intention to be hateful toward Jews.  I'm betting Falwell didn't even think of Jews when he made his statement.

I can about guarantee you he wasn't intending to be "hateful toward Jews"; Falwell is the biggest Judaizing Zionist out there. My "Well, for Christian voters to vote for their "values" is 'anti-Jewish,' Jerry" was sarcasm. To Jews, a movie about Jesus Christ is "anti-Jewish." So is a Christian voting his conscience, putting up a Nativity scene, or not speaking in a hushed, awed "church voice" when speaking of "the Holocaust."

Quote:(snip) I don't think Falwell is necessarily 'brown-nosing' for trying to defend himself against the ADL slander machine by simply saying that they're wrong in their assertions.

My point is that he wasn't defending himself enough. He should've been ANGRY and told it like it is. I am sick of Catholics and other Christians playing weeny defense and slinking around the playing field without lobbing the ball once in a while. We may as well have big "Kick Me" signs stuck on the backs of our jerseys. Enough!