FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Howdy Y'all - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Welcomes, Goodbyes, & Forum Problems (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Howdy Y'all (/showthread.php?tid=11498)

Pages: 1 2

Howdy Y'all - junkyardsaint - 02-20-2007

I stumbled across this Forum and the related website while looking something up from a particular Saint; and though I'm Eastern Orthodox I have a special affinity for Catholics. I was "Cradle" Roman Catholic, Baptised and Confirmed in the Church, but after experiencing the trauma of seeing the Church of my childhood change, I stayed until Confirmation; then left until I was over thirty....

A conversion experience later in life brought me back; but sadly there seemed to be no Catholic Church to return to. Before eventually becoming Eastern Orthodox I attended several Parishes, none of them resembled the Catholic Church that I believed in: one was "Charasmatic", the other two more like Protestant or maybe Episcopalean than anything I ever remember. Gone was the beautiful chant, the Latin, the incense, the discipline, the beautiful vestments and meaningful symbolic ritual; I was devastated. It was with much prayer, discussion, deliberation and education that I eventually became Orthodox and found myself so at home in the Eastern Tradition. I'm no longer saddened by my experience; but I must say that I have always longed to see the Catholic Church return to her roots; and I applaud your efforts and support your position 100% - as a former Catholic I can't tell you how much it would mean to me to see the Catholic Church embrace her roots again. Bring back the Church that Vatican II took away!  You have no idea how glad I am to see this movement - so I hope I'm welcome to join the forum and maybe join some part of the discussion. I find what you are doing very interesting and I fully support it!!!

I don't know if I can ever "return" to the Catholic Church;  but it's truly great to see that there are Catholics who are concerned with bringing back those things about the Church that made it great, before so many changes were made in the name of relevancy and Vatican II. As an 8 year old boy I remember Vatican II and the Divorce of my parents happening the same year; and I was destroyed... after my abscence it was the Church of my youth that I longed for; so when I returned to find it even less recognizable I was even more devastated. It's not that I was looking for a trip down "memory lane" - the very Theology appears to have changed as was evidenced by the things that people were doing in the service. I witnessed people "speaking in tongues" and taking part in practices that never existed before - they simply were not Catholic.

Anyway... I hope you understand why I left and my conversion; like I say I don't know that I can ever 'return' to the RC Church, I'm very very pleased with the Eastern Orthodox  - but the movement to return to the Catholic Church of antiquity is a cause that's close to my heart. You go!

Howdy Y'all - TradCathYouth - 02-20-2007

You will be in our prayers.

Howdy Y'all - Historian - 02-20-2007

Gday mate, and what a cool story!
You obviously stumbled across this website for a reason.
May God be with you.

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Welcome!

You have a very interesting story.

I assure you that I shall henceforth count you among my prayer intentions.

</font></font>

Howdy Y'all - AdoramusTeChriste - 02-20-2007

Welcome, junkyardsaint! [Image: rose.gif]

Howdy Y'all - Bill - 02-20-2007

Hi, junkyandsaint. I'm happy to "see" ya. Sometimes. with great trepidation and lots of anger, I need to attend the vernacular Mass. If I attend it, I leave the church feeling as though I haven't gone to Mass. For me, the vernacular Mass is too much like a Protestant communion service. I spent years in Protestant youth groups, too. So I know a few things about Episcopalian service, Lutheran services, and Pentacostal services. Today, I wouldn't dare attend any Protestant service. Maybe someday, if you feel the urge to rejoin the Catholic Church, you might try some eastern rite divine liturgies. Like many other posters here, at the Traditional Latin Mass, I feel at home enough that I wouldn't dream of attending another rite of Mass when I didn't need to attend another one. Again, welcome.

Bill Wrote:Sometimes. with great trepidation and lots of anger, I need to attend the vernacular Mass. If I attend it, I leave the church feeling as though I haven't gone to Mass.

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I had to go to a Mass in the <i>Novus Ordo</i> rite on Sunday, and I felt much as you say, to be honest, further from God upon leaving the church than when I entered it. If I went there to receive Communion, I do not know if I would ever be in the appropriate condition to do so: I just get distracted, annoyed or embarrassed. If only priests who celebrate in that rite would take hints from EWTN on how to offer a decent liturgy!</font></font>

GrumpyTroll Wrote:
Bill Wrote:Sometimes. with great trepidation and lots of anger, I need to attend the vernacular Mass. If I attend it, I leave the church feeling as though I haven't gone to Mass.

<font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I had to go to a Mass in the <i>Novus Ordo</i> rite on Sunday, and I felt much as you say, to be honest, further from God upon leaving the church than when I entered it. If I went there to receive Communion, I do not know if I would ever be in the appropriate condition to do so: I just get distracted, annoyed or embarrassed. If only priests who celebrate in that rite would take hints from EWTN on how to offer a decent liturgy!</font></font>

What's the point. Lately we feel a good reverent NO Mass is more annoying - all that effort for a stripped Mass full of silly lines such as "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again! or "When we eat this bread and drink this cup we proclaim your death Lord Jesus, until you come in glory- yipee!
The whole thing stinks and so does EWTN for tryng to make it look so 'nice'.
Those Neo-con priests are a bigger torment to me than the loonie leftie ones.

Rotten things happening here today. 8:00 am Mass for Ash Wednesday with Josie the ferrel altar chick (we have another word for her) giving out ashes (yep! making the sign of the cross on the fore head of those who allowed her to) Lovely Josie, just doing her very best to 'help Father out' ...but there are three priests in residence at this parish so where were the other two? WHY BOTHER?

Oh! back to the thread! Hello Junkyardsaint - welcome to the forum. this is no junkyard you know but we're all saints so you'll get on fine!

Howdy Y'all - Bill - 02-21-2007

Do we need to start a new thread, where we can bash the Novus Ordo? :fish

Howdy Y'all - junkyardsaint - 02-22-2007

Thanks everyone who posted for making me feel welcome.
I'll probably lay low for the most part, and just watch the discussion; of course if I have something to offer I will, but I'm not here to pass judgment on anyone, to preach to anyone, or to open myself up to being preached to or judged either, (I'm not above it either by the way); nor am I looking for anyone to understand or approve of my conversion to Orthodoxy; I understand the traditional Catholic position on my move from the Church, so I probably won't say too much more about Eastern Orthodoxy - I mention it only to be honest. I don't think it's my place to go into the details of my conversion or why I don't think I can ever return to the Roman Church. That also has absolutely nothing to do with why I'm here. I'm here because I also support the movement toward a more Traditional Church.
You see... now I don't know if it makes sense, but personal specifics aside; I have a deep love and respect for Roman Catholic Church of Antiquity - and since I'm old enough to remember the High Mass in Latin and the beautiful Gregorian Chant, the beauty of the Mass when it was done correctly, I would just love to go to a traditional Tridentine Mass; I might not be able to attend Communion but there is absolutely no reason why I can't go to enjoy the Liturgy.  It's only because of the Catholic Church that I was able to develop an Orthodox faith, many of the fundamentals of Eastern Orthodoxy are shared with the West; in fact the further back in history you go the closer the east and west are aligned with each other - there was a time when the Roman Catholic Church was essentially "Western Orthodoxy" - even after the split the theological differences weren't near as great as they are now; of course it remained one Church Holy Catholic and Apostolic until 1054 - nearly eleven centuries!

Is everyone or almost everyone who posts here a member of The Society of St. Pius (SSPX)?
I'm very curious to know where most of the individuals who post here stand on the issue of Tradition.
Are Catholics out in the Parishes discussing these changes that occurred especially after 1960?  Something else I'm very curious about is how is the SSPX being treated? How are their efforts being received?; Is it popular amongst the Clerics and/or the Laity? Who is this movement most popular with? Is it a minority? Do they have the old Mass now like they used to everywhere? (That is, I mean to say, all over the country? All over the USA? or is this only happening where people push for it ....or what?  - These questions occur to me; and I'll look for the answers; I'm not expecting every question I state to be answered ...he-he.... I'm just sort of typing my thoughts as they occur to me)

I Googled for something here in the Austin, Texas area but so far no luck. The last Mass I went to here was nothing even slightly traditional; it was more like a Conjunto Festival or something with the Guitar, Bajo Sexto, singing, percussion instruments and dancing.  When  the got in line for Communion I thought they were waiting for Margaritas or something the way they were talking, laughing. The Priest didn't even take part in the Communion, I don't know where he went, some lady handed out ...yes HANDED out Communion, I saw people chewing, laughing, there was no reverence; absolutely no realization that there was truly the presence in the Eucharist - I was just appalled by the experience.

I guess I'm contradicting myself by giving such a lengthy explanation; apparently I do want you all to understand ...I guess... or else I wouldn't feel the need to explain myself so. Well I'll just get it all out of my system here and now; since this is my "Introduction" and "Hello to everyone" post, it's not uncalled for that I explain my position, history and so forth. From here on out though I'll just kind of watch from the side lines; I'll add my two cents worth if I have anything that I think will contribute to the discussion; most of all you have my prayers and support. One other last point; Ecumenism is a slippery slope, and we have to be very careful how we interact with heretics, heterodox and the like; that said we are more than ANY other Christian denomination called to be One Church.

By the way... in reply to the kind comment concerning a potential or possible return to the Roman Church and the "Eastern Rite" Churches that are available (which by the way an American is not allowed to 'become' Eastern Rite unless I've been given false information; you can attend and commune but if I understand correctly you can't become Eastern Rite)... that was one of the first things my Priest suggested when I began going through this struggle...so before I became Eastern Orthodox I regularly attended an Eastern Rite Church for a while. While attending the Maronite Church I met quite a few people; what is kind of funny is that when I became Orthodox I met the relatives of many of these same people; apparently in the part of the world where they're from the families themselves are divided depending I guess on just what area they live in or something; some were Eastern Orthodox, others were Eastern Rite Catholic... 

Well... I don't know if anone can glean anything from this rambling post, I had a long day, I'm tired and sleepy and have this sinking feeling that my post makes absolutely no sense. I'm so tired that when I tried to re-read it just now I kept reading the same sentence over again; I think it's time for me to go to bed! I'll just pretend that the internet is really Anonymous and go ahead and select "Post Message" and hope for the best. [Image: laff.gif] 

So to paraphrase Groucho Marx - "I refuse to join any forum that would have me as a member"......  - Thanks for havin' me...
                                                              JYS