FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death (/showthread.php?tid=12953)

Pages: 1 2

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - AdoramusTeChriste - 05-09-2007

<SCRIPT language=javascript src="http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js"></SCRIPT>
[Image: c.gif?NC=1255&NA=1154&PS=73838&PI=7329&D...msn.com%2f]<FONT color=#ff0000>Vegan couple gets life over baby's death</FONT>  
Quote: <DIV class=abstract>Malnourished baby was fed soy milk and apple juice, weighed 3 1/2 pounds <DIV class=source>The Associated Press<DIV id=udtD>Updated: 2:55 p.m. ET May 9, 2007</DIV><SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633143337388230000');</SCRIPT></DIV><P class=textBodyBlack>ATLANTA - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.
<P class=textBodyBlack>Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.
<P class=textBodyBlack>The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.
<P class=textBodyBlack>Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.
<P class=textBodyBlack>But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby’s body wasted away.
<P class=textBodyBlack>“No matter how many times they want to say, ‘We’re vegans, we’re vegetarians,’ that’s not the issue in this case,” said prosecutor Chuck Boring. “The child died because he was not fed. Period.”
<P class=textBodyBlack><P class=textBodyBlack>Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his “perception” of the couple.
<P class=textBodyBlack>“I loved my son — and I did not starve him,” she said.
<P class=textBodyBlack>When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.
<P class=textBodyBlack>“I’m dying every day in there,” he said, “and that could take three years.”
</DIV> This bothers me on so many levels. What were these idiots thinking? Is breast milk not allowed because the mom is an animal or something? [Image: censored.gif]  <FONT color=#ff0000>Soy milk</FONT> ought to be out-lawed anyway; besides wreaking havoc on hormones as an estrogen mimicker, it apparently causes gross stupidity.  [Image: dunce.gif] And, I don't get the vegan thing anyway. Humans are not ruminants- it takes a few more stomach compartments than one to squeeze the necessary proteins out of vegetation. We don't burp food out of one stomach compartment to chew as cud for eight hours. If God intended for us to be vegans, we would be equipped for the task. And, the sickliest people I know are vegetarians... severe thyroid problems, obesity, cancer, children born with severe birth defects... and I only know four. All are female, two are moms- one is dying of breast cancer and her youngest daughter has a rare birth defect. The other mom has a baby with another rare birth defect- brain is too small to even allow vision function. High quality protein is essential for normal fetal development. That's why the Church doesn't impose fasting or abstinence on pregnant women. Duh! I don't get how any woman can be so self-centered that she would jeopardize her unborn child for an eating philosophy.[Image: censored.gif]  And what is up with these last statements:  
Quote:“I loved my son — and I did not starve him,” she said.
 Oh yes you did. [Image: censored.gif] 
Quote:“I’m dying every day in there,” he said, “and that could take three years.”
 Three years to die or three years to get a new trial? If this wasn't so sad and pathetic, I'd be laughing. His baby will never get to turn three years old. [Image: censored.gif] Grrrr. Time for a steak and a Guinness.    

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Historian - 05-09-2007

Again, I am justified!!

Be a normal person, don't drink soy.

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Historian - 05-09-2007

Marty Wrote:Again, I am justified!!

Be a normal person, don't drink soy.

I did years ago but never again. Only whole <B>RAW</B> milk from grassfed cows or goats for me. I wouldn't mind raw beer once a day either.

Didn't this happen in Australia not long ago too?

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Cordyceps - 05-09-2007

Do we want to start a raw milk war?

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Historian - 05-10-2007

Cordyceps Wrote:Do we want to start a raw milk war?

What's a "raw milk war"?

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Historian - 05-10-2007

I'm kind of meandering into a side issue here, but I'm curious as to why infants are not supposed to drink milk until they are 12 months old or so. Is it a digestive thing? The reason I ask is because my 8 month old nephew has been drinking raw milk for the last 4-5 months (he is still breast-fed as well) with no ill-effects.

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - miss_fluffy - 05-10-2007

Jenn, I read somewhere it's because babies don't have the enzyme necessary to digest pasteurized milk.  Raw milk comes with the necessary digestive enzyme intact, but pasteurization destroys it.

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Brennus - 05-10-2007

The planet is infested with kooks.

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - Cyriacus - 05-10-2007

Raw milk is almost impossible to buy here in the U.S. Even more unfortunately, cheeses aged less than 60 days must be made with pasteurized milk. Raw mozzarella fresca di bufala is dead out. The Department of Agriculture even conducts raids for the stuff. Not too long ago, there was a Michigan small dairy farmer dealing in raw milk (I believe he sold "jugs that happen to contain milk" to a grocery cooperative) who had over $7,000 in equipment seized.

It reminds me of the silly laws requiring iron fortification of all domestic long grain white rice. The packages advise customers not to rinse the rice without explanation (really, it removes excess starch, but they just don't want the iron powder washed off).

Vegans are generally great fun to question, as even the most vocal are often insincere to a degree. "You know that the bubblegum you're chewing contains gelatin derived from beef collagen?" "The charcoal used to purify that filtered, white sugar was in all probability derived from bone char." "The shiny coating on those grocery store apples is partially shellac, an insect excretion." (There is a risk that the harvesting process can scoop the insect up along with the secretion, leading to its death. - Wikipedia)

Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death - miss_fluffy - 05-10-2007

Not to mention all the bunnies and mice that get killed when all grains and (ACK!) soy are harvested.