FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Feeling faint while kneeling? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Feeling faint while kneeling? (/showthread.php?tid=14046)

Pages: 1 2 3

Feeling faint while kneeling? - Historian - 07-09-2007

Yesterday at Mass my daughter started feeling dizzy and faint ... again.

This has happened a few times.  It has never happened at celebrations of the Divine Liturgy (Eastern Catholic) but only during the Mass in the Latin Rite and always during the time we have been kneeling for several minutes (either before or after receiving the Eucharist).  The only thing that is different between the Mass and the Divine Liturgy is the kneeling.  There is a great deal more kneeling in the Latin Rite.

Is is possible that there's some blood flow problem created during kneeling for her?  Like the issue of locking your knees when you stand?

I'm going to have her remain seated next Sunday rather than kneeling to see if this is the problem.  Is it wrong for her to sit instead of kneel so that we can track the source of these dizzy/faint spells?  If there is an issue is it okay for her to continue to sit rather than kneeling?

Feeling faint while kneeling? - miss_fluffy - 07-09-2007

Does your daughter have asthma?  I have a little trouble breathing in some of the pews with less room to kneel.  I think it's when your arms are squished up against your chest or something.  I've never felt faint because of it, but I do give myself breaks and just sit back.

I always make an effort to at least kneel properly for the consecration if I'm having troubles.  But I certainly think your daughter has more excuse to not kneel than I do.  God knows she's doing her best.

Feeling faint while kneeling? - siobhan - 07-09-2007

I notice when I am wearing warmer clothing I have come very close to fainting several times when kneeling at Mass. Even if I am not hot, now I know to take off my coat. Also, the fasting does not help either, perhaps this is why?

Feeling faint while kneeling? - spasiisochrani - 07-09-2007

CaroleK Wrote: 
I'm going to have her remain seated next Sunday rather than kneeling to see if this is the problem.  Is it wrong for her to sit instead of kneel so that we can track the source of these dizzy/faint spells?  If there is an issue is it okay for her to continue to sit rather than kneeling?

Of course it's OK for her to sit if necessary.  Do you think God wants her to faint and hurt herself?

Is it when she is actually kneeling or when she stands up after kneeling?

CarolusMagnus Wrote:Is it when she is actually kneeling or when she stands up after kneeling?

While she is actually kneeling.  On Christmas day she actually fainted - fortunately we caught her before she hit her head on the pew in front of her.  Actually once she stands up she begins to feel better.  Which is part of what makes me think it is something to do with the kneeling posture.

She doesn't suffer from asthma and there is more than ample kneeling room (even I am able to kneel and I'm ... ample). 

At Christmas I thought it might be the heat but the last two times it's been rather cool in church and while she is modestly dressed we do try to use weather appropriate materials.

I appreciate all of the ideas.  I will definitely keep them all in mind as I continue to assess the situation!

God Bless,

Carole

Is she really young?  Does she kneel in an upright posture or does she slouch?

CarolusMagnus Wrote:Is she really young? Does she kneel in an upright posture or does she slouch?

She is 11 and she is in an upright posture.  I'm pretty picky about posture so she doesn't slouch.

I would think it's fine to sit instead of kneel if it is a medical issue - after all we don't pull people out of wheelchairs and force them to their knees.

If you want to avoid problems with busybodies, just mention it to the pastor and get his OK which I'm sure he will give.  Then when someone tsk-tsks you, you can just say the pastor knows and you have his permission.

Feeling faint while kneeling? - miss_fluffy - 07-09-2007

QuisUtDeus Wrote:If you want to avoid problems with busybodies, just mention it to the pastor and get his OK which I'm sure he will give.  Then when someone tsk-tsks you, you can just say the pastor knows and you have his permission.

I can't even imagine someone doing this!  Are there some of you who go to Mass and have "church police" looming about?