FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Enter the Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Forum: Catholic News Archive VII (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Thread: Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? (/showthread.php?tid=20483)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - Adonis33 - 07-31-2008

DrBombay Wrote:
Catholicdad Wrote:
BrendanD Wrote:The Finger....errr...I mean the <b>Ball</b> of Redemption shall not be mocked!

[Image: comet11f.gif]

<font size="3"><b>New Orleans seer, Emile Fernandez, carrying a statue of Our Lady of Fatima during prayer vigil on Septenber 24th, 1975. Photo taken by C. Bellow when developed showed Ball of Redemption as a perfect sphere. </b></font>

I can see how the chair and biretta would work, but what good would the laminated rose petals do for protection against the fing . . ., er, . . . ball?

Me, I'd opt for the "Holy Handgrenade" of St. Attila, followed by the feasting, of the lambs, and sloths, and orangutans, . . .

You will also need to know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow (African or European). The boogerman will ask you that question if you dare to look out the window. Best have an answer ready or you're toast.

Don't you also have to know your favorite color? Apparently this "seer" said "ORANGE!".

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - CatholicDad - 07-31-2008

Adonis33 Wrote:
DrBombay Wrote:
Catholicdad Wrote:
BrendanD Wrote:The Finger....errr...I mean the <B>Ball</B> of Redemption shall not be mocked!

[Image: comet11f.gif]

<FONT size=3><B>New Orleans seer, Emile Fernandez, carrying a statue of Our Lady of Fatima during prayer vigil on Septenber 24th, 1975. Photo taken by C. Bellow when developed showed Ball of Redemption as a perfect sphere. </B></FONT>

I can see how the chair and biretta would work, but what good would the laminated rose petals do for protection against the fing . . ., er, . . . ball?

Me, I'd opt for the "Holy Handgrenade" of St. Attila, followed by the feasting, of the lambs, and sloths, and orangutans, . . .

You will also need to know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow (African or European). The boogerman will ask you that question if you dare to look out the window. Best have an answer ready or you're toast.

Don't you also have to know your favorite color? Apparently this "seer" said "ORANGE!".

Sure, why do you think they feast on orangutans, dummy?

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - IacobusIsTrodden - 07-31-2008

BrendanD Wrote:The Finger....errr...I mean the <b>Ball</b> of Redemption shall not be mocked!

<font size="2">[Image: comet11f.gif]</font>

<font size="3"><b>New Orleans seer, Emile Fernandez, carrying a statue of Our Lady of Fatima during prayer vigil on Septenber 24th, 1975. Photo taken by C. Bellow when developed showed Ball of Redemption as a perfect sphere. </b></font>

<font size="2">It's Andy Kaufman!</font>

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - Historian - 08-01-2008

Catholic777 Wrote:I've heard from some sources that they were approved by the local bishop.
<snip><snip>
</snip>
However, either way, I do know that the whole "tone" of the alleged apparitions strikes me superstitious and out of line with what they are usually like. I mean...all sorts of herbs are recommended, and other legalistic little rituals for the Three Days of Darkness. It is all very odd.

It is my understanding that they were approved by the bishop of Nantes and that he knew Marie-Julie Jahenny well. The Vatican does not have to approve apparitions or private revelations, only the local bishop does. We are not obligated to believe in any of them, including Fatima, Lourdes, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and other widely recognized ones.

It is difficult to know whether anything written about apparitions and private revelations from the past has been altered over time. We should be wary if they advise us to do anything that is out of sync with Catholic teaching but we should also remember that God told the Hebrews to sacrifice a lamb and smear its blood on their doorpost so that the Angel of Death would pass over their house. Perhaps some Hebrews thought "That sounds superstitious and odd" and wound up dead.

The following is from a site that is maintained by people who believe in the revelations of the Breton Stigmatist, Marie-Julie Jahenny:

<font face="arial, helvetica" size="2"><b>1Thessalonians 5:19-22.</b> "Do not extinguish the Spirit, do not despise prophecies. But test all things; hold fast that which is good. Keep yourselves from every kind of evil."

<b>Facts to Remember:</b> The Rosary, the Brown Scapular, the Green Scapular & the Miraculous Medal were given to us through private revelations, likewise the devotions to the Sacred Heart & to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

You wrote:

</font>"I mean...all sorts of herbs are recommended, and other legalistic little rituals for the Three Days of Darkness. It is all very odd."

What's so odd about <i>herbs</i>? I haven't read that much about Marie-Julie Jahenny but from what I have, it seems that the <i>herbs</i> were prescribed by Our Lady or Our Lord as medicines for the time <b>after</b> the Three Days of Darkness, when two/thirds of the earth's population are supposed to be dead. Large numbers of dead bodies littering the landscape tend to cause outbreaks of disease and if our world were to be totally changed so that there were no hospitals or grocery stores, we would need to treat our own illnesses and to have stored food and water to survive.

It would be very sad to live through the Three Days and then die of disease, thirst, or starvation. After the Three Days, all the unbelievers will be gone and the remaining faithful will return to living on the land so it should be a joyous time for those who experience it.

St. Pio (Padre Pio) and others have given similar messages about the Three Days of Darkness and the "legalistic little rituals" are only to pray constantly in front of a blessed crucifix and image of the BVM. We're advised to kneel or lie prostrate with our arms extended.

We're also advised to have blessed beeswax (not paraffin) candles so that we will have light, and to cover all our windows after the Warning or as soon as we think the Three Days are beginning. We are not to look outside or answer anyone who calls to us from outside as demons will be using the voices of any absent loved ones to trick us.

The Three Days of Darkness revelations have been given to several people in different parts of the world at different times. Unless they take place in our lifetime, we won't know if the revelations are accurate or not.  But we have nothing to lose by having blessed candles that are at least 51% beeswax, a blessed crucifix and blessed images of Mary and Jesus, in our homes, do we? Those are standard items in most Catholic homes, except maybe the  beeswax candles, which are a little hard to find. (The candles used in Catholic churches are supposed to be at least 51% beeswax, unless Vatican II changed that.)

We also have nothing to lose by stockpiling some nonperishable foods and water, either.  For the Three Days of Darkness, and many other disasters, we would need foods that do not need to be cooked but can be eaten straight out of the package or can. (Be sure to have a non-electric can opener, too.) Disasters do occur all the time and being prepared to survive them is a good thing, even if we never have to go through the Three Days of Darkness or any disaster.

<font face="arial, helvetica" size="2">
</font>

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - dakotamidnight - 08-01-2008

it's quite easy to get the beeswax candles -

http://www.littleflowersfamilypress.com/SHOP/chaltars01.htm - look at the very bottom. 2 100% beeswax candles for $10.

Better safe than sorry.

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - Historian - 08-01-2008

Can such possible superstition really be called "safe" though? That's what I worry about, rightly or wrongly. Reading through St Louis de Montfort's "true Devotion to Mary" last night I thought about this thread - he warns us all against various false devotions to Mary, including that of automatically disbelieving stories about apparitions etc of her based on our own learning (guilty!). Worth a re-read for us all I think.

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - CatholicDad - 08-01-2008

littleway Wrote:Can such possible superstition really be called "safe" though? That's what I worry about, rightly or wrongly. Reading through St Louis de Montfort's "true Devotion to Mary" last night I thought about this thread - he warns us all against various false devotions to Mary, including that of automatically disbelieving stories about apparitions etc of her based on our own learning (guilty!). Worth a re-read for us all I think.
Good advice, I'm taking it, and I promised to read this work this Summer--which is almost over. 

dakotamidnight Wrote:it's quite easy to get the beeswax candles -

http://www.littleflowersfamilypress.com/SHOP/chaltars01.htm - look at the very bottom. 2 100% beeswax candles for $10.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for mentioning that.

I should have said that you may not be able to find beeswax candles locally, will have to order from an online traditional shop.

http://www.halo-works.com

is another source for 100% beeswax candles and many more things, as is Little Flower. 

And I agree, better safe than sorry!

Private Revelations of Marie-Julie Jahenny (1850-1941) FACT OR FRAUD? - DrBombay - 08-01-2008

Why should God care whether the candles are 100% beeswax or not?  That seems overly superstitious to me.  If  a person is in a state of grace, God won't let you light a candle unless it's made of 100% beeswax?  Come on.

DrBombay Wrote:Why should God care whether the candles are 100% beeswax or not? That seems overly superstitious to me. If a person is in a state of grace, God won't let you light a candle unless it's made of 100% beeswax? Come on.

Why should God require that hosts be made only of flour and water?  I think that and the beeswax candles go back to Jewish tradition since the Last Supper was a Passover seder. Is holding to that standard being overly superstitious?

The Catholic Church requires candles used in churches to be mostly beeswax, unless that has changed since Vatican II.  So why not have good church-grade candles in our homes?  

Beeswax candles are not only for the Three Days of Darkness, anyway. They can also be used when a priest makes a sick call, for blessing a home, and burnt during severe storms while praying for protection.