FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
A belated introduction - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Welcomes, Goodbyes, & Forum Problems (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: A belated introduction (/showthread.php?tid=20849)

Pages: 1 2

A belated introduction - Reichsjager - 08-12-2008

Greetings everyone,
I’ve already been making a few post so I figured I might as well drop by on the intro thread and let everyone know what I was about.
(FYI, all my interests, tastes, etc, are fully updated in my profile, so I won’t bother to repost them here)

Long story short: Cradle catholic, large german catholic family, parochial gradeschool, Jesuit highschool. <span style=""> After highschool, like all hormonal teenagers who are positive that they know more than everyone else,  I abandoned the faith of my birth and signed up with something else (*cough cough* Islam *<b>cough cough</b>*). After five years as a Mohammadan (and after studying islam exhaustively) I came to the conclusion that I had probably just made the worst mistake I was ever going to make, dumped my qur’an and beard, and made a bee-line for the nearest confessional. </span>
I began re-attending church with my wife and sister in law, but kept bumping up into the same roadblock I had hit previously; the passive, almost bovine (yes, I said it) Catholicism practiced <span style=""> at a lot of my local churches. I still went to mass, I still participated in the Eucharist, but other than that, I simply sat in my pew and stewed in my own misery amidst all the off-chord singing and guitar strumming.  I’d always been a huge history buff, and I was suffering from a fundamental disconnect, that is, my frustration with the Catholic community as it currently is, and my desire for the Church as it was. Where was the Church that kept the faith alive under Diocletian and Nero? Where was the faith that held its ground at Poitiers? Where was the faith that marched 3,000 miles to knock at the gates of Antioch and Jerusalem? Where was the faith that steamrolled the Turks at Lepanto?  </span>
I’d become convinced that the Church had lost its you-know-whats, because the Church had lost its history, its Tradition.
(A side effect, I’m sure, of not just the bad interpretations of VII, but also the switch from Catechesis based training to a secular model in parochial schools)
So, I got myself a 1962 Missal, headed for local Oratory, and haven’t looked back since.
<font face="Courier"></font>

A belated introduction - Historian - 08-12-2008

Wow, great story.  I will pray that you find a Mass of the Ages.

[Image: prayer.gif]

A belated introduction - jovan66102 - 08-12-2008

BrotherDave Wrote:Wow, great story.  I will pray that you find a Mass of the Ages.

Seems he has: 
Reichsjager Wrote:<SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">So, I got myself a 1962 Missal, headed for local Oratory, and haven’t looked back since.
</SPAN>

A belated introduction - Historian - 08-12-2008

jovan66102 Wrote:
BrotherDave Wrote:Wow, great story.  I will pray that you find a Mass of the Ages.

Seems he has: 
Reichsjager Wrote:<SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">So, I got myself a 1962 Missal, headed for local Oratory, and haven’t looked back since.
</SPAN>

Oops, sorry.  Long day starin' into a computer screen.  Square eyeballs.
BD

A belated introduction - AdoramusTeChriste - 08-12-2008

Welcome!

A belated introduction - jovan66102 - 08-12-2008

BrotherDave Wrote:Oops, sorry.  Long day starin' into a computer screen.  Square eyeballs.
BD
 Been there, done that![Image: smile.gif]

A belated introduction - Historian - 08-13-2008

Willkommen, Reichsjäger! And a special "congrats" on getting out of mohammedanism, and dumping the kkkoran!

A belated introduction - Joshua - 08-13-2008

Welcome, sir. You're story is fascinating and I look forward to seeing more of your posts!

I recall seeing elsewhere that you had mentioned a particular fondness for the Knights Templar (hence your avatar). Might I suggest you take a gander at <a target="_blank" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Templi">these folks:</a>

<a target="_blank" id="zoomedLink" href="javascript:void(0);" title="Click to zoom out.">[Image: MilitiaTempli.jpg?t=1218622655]</a>

God bless,
JRS

A belated introduction - Historian - 08-13-2008

[Image: hellosmiley.gif]  Hello!

A belated introduction - Reichsjager - 08-13-2008

diotima Wrote:Willkommen, Reichsjäger! And a special "congrats" on getting out of mohammedanism, and dumping the kkkoran!

Vielen dank! [Image: incense.gif]