FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Aspergers and ADHD - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Aspergers and ADHD (/showthread.php?tid=21080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Aspergers and ADHD - VoxClamantis - 08-22-2008

Heya, I am wondering if anyone out there has had any personal experiences with someone who has Aspergers and/or ADHD (or if anyone out there has received either of those diagnoses himself). Just looking for general advice, information, tips, etc. It'd be especially beneficial to hear from a person with Aspergers talk about the inner lives and frustrations of those with that affliction... Thanks!

Aspergers and ADHD - kjvail - 08-22-2008

As you probably know my daughter Kaitlyn is MR/DD. She hasn't been given a diagnosis on the autism spectrum per se, these things are difficult to make a final determination on, especially in children. We are going to get her tested at Riley for a rarer disorder called Williams' syndrome for which she has many of the behavioral signs but it can be eliminated with a simple genetic test.
There's a really interesting writer out there, Temple Grandin, she's appeared on several talk shows. She's autistic and developed a treatment for herself and others that seems to have some efficacy, the "squeezebox". I've got her book, Emergence: Labeled Autistic, it's her autobiography and might provide some of the insights you are looking for.

Aspergers and ADHD - DarkKnight - 08-22-2008

My nine-year-old son has Aspergers. There have been some exciting breakthroughs recently. Please e-mail or PM.

Aspergers and ADHD - britmum - 09-01-2008

My husband has Asperger's (we think HIS father does as well, undiagnosed). I knew about it before we married and thought 'neat!' Mostly it is neat- he has obsessions with commercial aircraft, maps and politics. He is very intelligent. There are challenges too- hubby has trouble multitasking which is tough when you have two small kids. I have to be aware that I have to sometimes be more explicit about what I want him to do- you can't depend on someone with Asperger's to read your mind!

Despite his challenges my husband is a great husband and father to our two boys. He has a full time job with the Canadian taxman. However, he does take medication to help with bipolar disorder and depression.

Aspergers and ADHD - Historian - 09-02-2008

ADHD is a false "diagnosis" used to gain pharmaceutical profits.

Aspergers and ADHD - jovan66102 - 09-02-2008

Traditio Wrote:ADHD is a false "diagnosis" used to gain pharmaceutical profits.
 Bullsh**! I have it and I, for one, know better!

Aspergers and ADHD - ResiduumRevertetur - 09-02-2008

jovan66102 Wrote:
 Bullsh**! I have it and I, for one, know better!
I do, too, and trust me, every year it gets worse and I'm beginning to think about taking medication myself. I will agree with you if you say that it's overdiagnosed sometimes, or even often, for children who just have discipline problems. That's true enough. But there are plenty of people out there suffering with this, so please, don't be so quick to judge things you don't understand.

Aspergers and ADHD - kjvail - 09-02-2008

As far as ADHD is concerned I'm inclined to agree with you but Asperger's is very real and very frightening given the exponential growth of the disorder among children in the last 20 years. Last I read I believe it was upto 1 in 14 children, something is definitely going on.

Aspergers and ADHD - DarkKnight - 09-02-2008

kjvail Wrote:

As far as ADHD is concerned I'm inclined to agree with you but Asperger's is very real and very frightening given the exponential growth of the disorder among children in the last 20 years. Last I read I believe it was upto 1 in 14 children, something is definitely going on.

I believe you are confusing the stats for Aspergers (which is on the Autism spectrum) with the numbers for Autism itself. I have never seen Asperger's numbers so high.

I'm not quite sure why you consider Asperger's frightening, either.

Aspergers and ADHD - kjvail - 09-02-2008

DarkKnight Wrote:
kjvail Wrote:

I believe you are confusing the stats for Aspergers (which is on the Autism spectrum) with the numbers for Autism itself. I have never seen Asperger's numbers so high.

I'm not quite sure why you consider Asperger's frightening, either.

Asperger's is on the "Autism spectrum", and that's what I believe the statistics represent. I could be wrong though.

It is a disability, to one degree or another, and the rapid increase of it's occurrence is very disturbing.