FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Men's Dress Worn By Women - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Men's Dress Worn By Women (/showthread.php?tid=25362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Historian - 02-06-2009

INPEFESS Wrote:Well, there are ambiguities, but I think my point is clear. If you make an effort to cover yourself with a modest skirt, that is going to be less tempting than someone whose clothes outline what the skirt is supposed to hide.
One must never forget function though. Besides modesty, function is a very important element of clothing. For many, the function of trousers is needed (and who is someone to say they are not needed by a certain person?).

Quote:Females aren't generally as tempted to look at a man's legs as a man is to look at a females.
Not so much legs, but glutes. I think men often forget women are more or less just like men in some ways.

Quote:If it is a concern that women may be looking at your body, cover up in whatever way you can. If it's severely impractical to hide it, then it's not your fault - at least you're trying. Women today make no effort to hide it by wearing a skirt.
Well, I do wear in public a coat which covers much (even in summer).

Quote: Regardless of what physique they possess, most of them just wear pants anyway without a valid, moral excuse.

Yes, but that is not a reason to condemn trousers as a whole for women. We cannot presume to judge others.

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Telemaque - 02-06-2009

LaRoza Wrote:Yes, but that is not a reason to condemn trousers as a whole for women. We cannot presume to judge others.

It's not judging others to debate whether or not a certain kind of clothing is appropriate or not. Obviously there's a wide range between something that is clearly shocking and deliberately immodest and something that no one could object to.

To debate the middle is not to judge those in the middle. It's to judge which kind of clothing is better or worse without considering the culpability of the wearer.

INPEFESS Wrote:I'm talking about a modest, full skirt versus a pair of loose-fitting slacks or comfortably-fitting jeans (for women). Regardless of what modesty is in mind, I am going to be much more inclined to stare (even if it's not squeezing tight) at the pelvic area of the female in a sinful manner.
If even the vaguest outline of a women's legs/pelvis (such as that formed on both men and women by wearing any form of useful trousers) is a temptation, I would say that it is your personal struggle, not the fault of the women. I am easily tempted by beautiful hair, that is something I would notice, but I do not blame women for not wearing head coverings.

Quote:I'm sure I'm not the only one who is tempted in this way.
No, but that is no reason to blame the article of clothing itself. Clothes fulfill a purpose besides modesty. They are meant to be functional. In areas where men wear "skirts", they do while working role them up over the knees. Would you consider this a workable option for women who have things to do which may be restricted by a full skirt?

Men's Dress Worn By Women - moneil - 02-06-2009

SaintRafael Wrote:There is no difference because the man and woman in the picture are both wearing robes. The modern dress for women had not been invented at this point in history.

The garment now known as a female dress was invented by a Western Christian society centuries after Christ.

Compare the robe that the woman is wearing in the picture, with a modern dress, and then you will see the difference.

So, at the time of Christ, men and women wore the same identical style of clothing - a robe, the same kind of well stated example LaRoza offered about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.   The woman in those times is usually dipicted wearing a type of a veil (though, one will see illustrations of men also wearing a "veil type" head covering in that era - there are some in my St. Joseph's Daily Missal [1951 edition, not the "modernist" 1962 Missal [Image: wink.gif]]).  It would seem to me, then, that it is a tradition from Apstolic times that there does not necessarily have to be a defined, distinct, seperate style of cloting for each of the genders.

It is true, of course, that distictive styles developed, emerged, evolved, across the ages.  I would venture to guess that those developments were influenced more so by environment, the nature of one's work, and ever changing cultural norms, than by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, but that's just my opnion.

LaRoza Wrote:If even the vaguest outline of a women's legs/pelvis (such as that formed on both men and women by wearing any form of useful trousers) is a temptation, I would say that it is your personal struggle, not the fault of the women.

It is obvious it's his personal struggle that doesn't mean women who wear form fitting pants aren't contributing to it, inadvertantly or not. Give me a break.

Quote:I am easily tempted by beautiful hair, that is something I would notice, but I do not blame women for not wearing head coverings.

Don't blame them for ignoring St. Paul? Well, obviously many people no longer mind what St. Paul said or think it's important to follow his words on that issue. But certainly you think it's better for them to wear head covering than not, right? It has nothing to do with "blaming" those who don't. It has to do with whether it is better to wear a head-covering or not. It is clearly better.

Quote: No, but that is no reason to blame the article of clothing itself. Clothes fulfill a purpose besides modesty. They are meant to be functional. In areas where men wear "skirts", they do while working role them up over the knees. Would you consider this a workable option for women who have things to do which may be restricted by a full skirt?

What do they have to do in church or on formal occasions that they might be restricted from doing by wearing long skirts?

Men's Dress Worn By Women - StevusMagnus - 02-06-2009

Rafael and INP, great insights. You're 100% right.

moneil Wrote:
SaintRafael Wrote:There is no difference because the man and woman in the picture are both wearing robes. The modern dress for women had not been invented at this point in history.

The garment now known as a female dress was invented by a Western Christian society centuries after Christ.

Compare the robe that the woman is wearing in the picture, with a modern dress, and then you will see the difference.

So, at the time of Christ, men and women wore the same identical style of clothing - a robe, the same kind of well stated example LaRoza offered about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.   The woman in those times is usually dipicted wearing a type of a veil (though, one will see illustrations of men also wearing a "veil type" head covering in that era - there are some in my St. Joseph's Daily Missal [1951 edition, not the "modernist" 1962 Missal [Image: wink.gif]]).  It would seem to me, then, that it is a tradition from Apstolic times that there does not necessarily have to be a defined, distinct, seperate style of cloting for each of the genders.

It is true, of course, that distictive styles developed, emerged, evolved, across the ages.  I would venture to guess that those developments were influenced more so by environment, the nature of one's work, and ever changing cultural norms, than by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, but that's just my opnion.

Well, you seem to be neglecting the relevance of St. Paul's advice, which clearly indicates that men and women dress differently as regards the covering of their head. This proves there are reasons men and women should dress differently. It doesn't prove they shouldn't wear pants but it does prove that stating that men and women dressed the same in the Garden of Eden (proof? other than illustrations?) is not a justification for men and women dressing the same.

Telemaque Wrote:It is obvious it's his personal struggle that doesn't mean women who wear form fitting pants aren't contributing to it, inadvertantly or not. Give me a break.

Indeed.

moneil Wrote:So, at the time of Christ, men and women wore the same identical style of clothing - a robe,

Wrong. Look at Tele's pictures. There were distinguishable.

Telemaque Wrote:It is obvious it's his personal struggle that doesn't mean women who wear form fitting pants aren't contributing to it, inadvertantly or not. Give me a break.
I didn't say form fitting pants but trousers. Obviously, such trousers have little function and are usually quite immodest. Trousers aren't all like that though.

Quote:Don't blame them for ignoring St. Paul? Well, obviously many people no longer mind what St. Paul said or think it's important to follow his words on that issue. But certainly you think it's better for them to wear head covering than not, right? It has nothing to do with "blaming" those who don't. It has to do with whether it is better to wear a head-covering or not. It is clearly better.
It is not my place to judge them. I can only avoid temptation and keep my mind focused instead of telling them what to do.

Quote:What do they have to do in church or on formal occasions that they might be restricted from doing by wearing long skirts?

So this is now just about church and formal occasions? I didn't know this was the setting.