FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Men's Dress Worn By Women - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Men's Dress Worn By Women (/showthread.php?tid=25362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Historian - 02-06-2009

StevusMagnus Wrote:
INPEFESS Wrote:
Quote:Rafael and INP, great insights. You're 100% right.

Thank you. It's just morality, really.

Yes. Some are simply blind primarily because they are trying to justify whatever they are wearing out of convenience and apathetic to the larger picture.

Gotta tell you, Steve, women were wearing pants to Mass as early as 1964, when, as you surely know, all Masses were still in Latin and ad orientem. That was also before the women's movement began. Women and men were also wearing shorts to Mass in summer. Oh, the scandal!

Edit: But all the women and girls covered their heads, whatever they were wearing.

StevusMagnus Wrote:Yes. Some are simply blind primarily because they are trying to justify whatever they are wearing out of convenience and apathetic to the larger picture.

You accuse those who do not agree with your personal opinion as blind?

Perhaps the larger picture goes beyond trousers?

Men's Dress Worn By Women - StevusMagnus - 02-06-2009

LaRoza Wrote:If the society is like StevusMagnus, then obviously people will look like this:

This is indeed an excellent vision! Except of course I would let the men select different haircuts, as long as they met military standards and there would be a few conservative options for suits.

My world would look more like this....

Work attire at the office..

[Image: PerryMason.jpg]

Home attire....

[Image: Father%2BKnows%2BBest%2BArticle.jpg]

Bedtime apparel...

[Image: ds5087.jpg]

moneil Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:
moneil Wrote:So, at the time of Christ, men and women wore the same identical style of clothing - a robe,

Wrong. Look at Tele's pictures. There were distinguishable.

Look at the picture of the Holy Family I posted.  They aren't distinguishable.

If that were a photograph, you'd have a point.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:Gotta tell you, Steve, women were wearing pants to Mass as early as 1964, when, as you surely know, all Masses were still in Latin and ad orientem. That was also before the women's movement began. Women and men were also wearing shorts to Mass in summer. Oh, the scandal!

Edit: But all the women and girls covered their heads, whatever they were wearing.

I suppose Modernism came early to your town. Either that or you have a clever imagination.

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Telemaque - 02-06-2009

LaRoza Wrote:
Telemaque Wrote:So do you agree in that setting it's irrelevant to talk about whether or not skirts and dresses are "restrictive"?

I would agree that it is not our place to be hung up on this detail. I would say people should dress modestly, which is partially defined by the society.

What if society's norms have become defective? Isn't necessary for churches to guide people to more acceptable norms?

Quote:So for those settings I would say a person should dress in modest clothing appropriate for the people there. Now, for some, a woman in trousers is unacceptable and for a society of such people, a woman should not wear trousers to those events with those people. However, not everyone shares such opinions.

Good, that's something at least.

Quote:If the society is like StevusMagnus, then obviously people will look like this:

[Image: SMITHCLONES!.jpg]

However, not all social groups are like that.

Joking aside, I don't think Stevus is being extreme at all. I don't think the norms imposed on ordinary lay people regarding dressing for church 50 years ago were extreme in any way.

LaRoza Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:Yes. Some are simply blind primarily because they are trying to justify whatever they are wearing out of convenience and apathetic to the larger picture.

You accuse those who do not agree with [modest and appropriate clothing for their gender] as blind?

Indeed.

Quote:Perhaps the larger picture goes beyond trousers?

Indeed.

StevusMagnus Wrote:This is indeed an excellent vision! Except of course I would let the men select different haircuts, as long as they met military standards and there would be a few conservative options for suits.
Military standards eh? Which military? I'd be like a modern Sikh warrior :)

Quote:My world would look more like this....

Work attire at the office.

My world:

[Image: samson.jpg]

Telemaque Wrote:What if society's norms have become defective? Isn't necessary for churches to guide people to more acceptable norms?
Yes, very much so.

Quote:Good, that's something at least.
That is my whole point, modestly goes beyond the actual article of clothing. The only thing really "female" is a veil.

Quote:Joking aside, I don't think Stevus is being extreme at all. I don't think the norms imposed on ordinary lay people regarding dressing for church 50 years ago were extreme in any way.

No, they weren't, but this isn't 50 years ago, and those norms were the direct result of world wars.

LaRoza Wrote:Military standards eh? Which military? I'd be like a modern Sikh warrior :)

The military in the time you live in.