FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Men's Dress Worn By Women - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Men's Dress Worn By Women (/showthread.php?tid=25362)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Historian - 02-06-2009

StevusMagnus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:Yes. Some are simply blind primarily because they are trying to justify whatever they are wearing out of convenience and apathetic to the larger picture.

You accuse those who do not agree with [modest and appropriate clothing for their gender] as blind?

Indeed.

Quote:Perhaps the larger picture goes beyond trousers?

Indeed.

I think the entire difference between us in this issue is about "appropriate clothing for gender". I think you'd agree that God did not have any specific type of clothing in mind for the genders, and that modesty is something that is important regardless of the style.

Gandhi did not wear what he wore in India outside of India for the precise reason it was not considered modest or appropriate outside of that culture. I know there are places where there are clear distinctions between what men and women wear. If I were living in an area where men did not wear trousers, I wouldn't. It is all relative, for styles of clothing, modesty is universal although how it is expressed may change.

StevusMagnus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:Military standards eh? Which military? I'd be like a modern Sikh warrior :)

The military in the time you live in.

Yes, hence "modern Sikh warrior".

Men's Dress Worn By Women - StevusMagnus - 02-06-2009

LaRoza Wrote:That is my whole point, modestly goes beyond the actual article of clothing. The only thing really "female" is a veil.

Whoa! Who are YOU to say that? Clothing has no inherent gender. A veil is only feminine because society dictates it.

LaRoza Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:Military standards eh? Which military? I'd be like a modern Sikh warrior :)

The military in the time you live in.

Yes, hence "modern Sikh warrior".

Oh, you mean the gay kind...

LaRoza Wrote:It is all relative

This about sums it up in a nutshell. Guys in dresses. Chicks in boots. Let's all just have a gay old time. Pony tails for guys, crew cuts for girls. You're right. It doesn't matter at all.

Men's Dress Worn By Women - Telemaque - 02-06-2009

LaRoza Wrote:No, they weren't, but this isn't 50 years ago, and those norms were the direct result of world wars.

The loosening of the norms might be a result of the world wars, not dresses on women.

I mean I don't think requiring people to dress to the standard in force at that time is unreasonable in any way. There is nothing extreme or exceedingly conforming. And another thing - I think using relativism is a totally inappropriate argument, because the reason fashions have sunk to the level they have is because society has become less Christian.

There is nothing extreme about someone dressing according to the general norms of recent past times. There is nothing eccentric in wearing a dress. People tried to dress respectably for a very long time and they should continue to do so today. The fact that "times have changed" is an inadmissible argument on this question. We're not talking about hoop skirts and corsets after all. We're talking about basic fundamentals that were in force for a very long time until there was a sudden collapse of discipline. Now it doesn't suprise me there are so many people infected with the spirit that led to that collapse. It does surprise me to find so many here who take such umbrage at those who point it out.

Woman in pants...

[Image: 6303383319.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

StevusMagnus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:That is my whole point, modestly goes beyond the actual article of clothing. The only thing really "female" is a veil.

Whoa! Who are YOU to say that? Clothing has no inherent gender. A veil is only feminine because society dictates it.

That is a Church Tradition, not some relic from an earlier time which I adhere to because I happened to grow up with it.

StevusMagnus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:It is all relative

This about sums it up in a nutshell. Guys in dresses. Chicks in boots. Let's all just have a gay old time. Pony tails for guys, crew cuts for girls. You're right. It doesn't matter at all.

You said it was relative yourself you know.

Look at the styles how they changed throughout time. What is "male" and "female" changes a lot.

Clothing is not universal and anyone who says it is better be dressed in period clothing from Jesus's time and place, otherwise, they are hypocrites.

StevusMagnus Wrote:
PaxVobiscum Wrote:Gotta tell you, Steve, women were wearing pants to Mass as early as 1964, when, as you surely know, all Masses were still in Latin and ad orientem. That was also before the women's movement began. Women and men were also wearing shorts to Mass in summer. Oh, the scandal!

Edit: But all the women and girls covered their heads, whatever they were wearing.

I suppose Modernism came early to your town. Either that or you have a clever imagination.

I do have a clever imagination, thank you very much, but I'm telling the truth about what I saw at Mass in 1964. Not many people here can remember 1964 so I thought you'd appreciate some history.