FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat (/showthread.php?tid=25808)

Pages: 1 2

Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - juliee - 02-19-2009

Enid, OK -- An Oklahoma man with a homemade sign on his vehicle was pulled over and harassed by police for allegedly making a threat against the president. Chip Harrison said he was driving to work when a police officer followed him for several miles and eventually signaled him to pull over.

The officer mistook the sign, which read Abort Obama, not the unborn," as threatening.

Full story at:
http://www.LifeNews.com/state3871.html

Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - Spooky - 02-19-2009

Interesting how the cop thought "abort" meant "kill".

Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - Historian - 02-19-2009

Spooky Wrote:Interesting how the cop thought "abort" meant "kill".

Misguided cop...[Image: eyes.gif]

Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - JonathanCid - 02-19-2009

If abortion is murder, then to abort the President can be construed to mean "murder the President", no? The officers stopped him, tried to read the man and the situation, and filed the appropriate reports with the Secret Service. Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

The news title (and a few others I've seen online) are misleading. He wasn't pulled over because he had a pro-life sign, he wasn't pulled over because he had an anti-Obama sign. And he isn't considered a threat. He was pulled over because he had a sign that could be construed as threatening, and the police did the right thing to look into it. And look into it is all they've done. Doesn't seem like the man is a threat, so nothing further will happen.

I received an e-mail this morning from a friend of mine involved with the White House and Obama's folks, and he says that the President has been receiving an unprecedented number of threats. I wouldn't doubt the police are aware of this and are sensitive to the issue - thus why they're reporting these things immediately to the Secret Service.

Man With Pro-Life, Anti-Obama Sign Considered Threat - ONeill - 02-19-2009

JonathanCid Wrote:If abortion is murder, then to abort the President can be construed to mean "murder the President", no?

Abort means "to end", so "abortion" is the ending of a pregnency before birth. Aborting a person in office speaks more of being ejected from office.

Think of it this way, Obama and his crowd are responsible for allowing millions of murders. That sounds like a big deal to me.

ONeill Wrote:
JonathanCid Wrote:If abortion is murder, then to abort the President can be construed to mean "murder the President", no?

Abort means "to end", so "abortion" is the ending of a pregnency before birth. Aborting a person in office speaks more of being ejected from office.

Think of it this way, Obama and his crowd are responsible for allowing millions of murders. That sounds like a big deal to me.

Again, that is misleading and playing with words. The sign read: "Abort the President, not the unborn"... it regarded abortion, as in the medical procedure relating to the unborn, which is murder. And again, the police officers sought to clarify what the man meant and look into the matter. They have done nothing wrong.

I wish they would show this on Cops. :)

JonathanCid Wrote:
ONeill Wrote:

Again, that is misleading and playing with words. The sign read: "Abort the President, not the unborn"... it regarded abortion, as in the medical procedure relating to the unborn, which is murder. And again, the police officers sought to clarify what the man meant and look into the matter. They have done nothing wrong.

I wish they would show this on Cops. :)

We don't play with words; they do. How would you feel towards someone responsible for the deaths of millions of infants?

O'Neill, with respect, I just demonstrated that this is indeed misleading. It gives the impression that the man was being persecuted, when he was not.

The attitude that pro-lifers never play with words, that pro-choicers are always evil people, and pro-lifers good, innocent people, is not a healthy one to take into the seedy world of politics. There are pro-choicers who believe that there is no life to be had when an abortion is performed, and they are misled people, but not people of wicked intention. And there are pro-lifers who are the scum of the earth. And there are pro-lifers who mean well, but misconstrue things such as this because they believe it's helping the cause.

Please don't be fooled by "we", "they", "us", "them". If our obligation is to seek truth and be sincere, then we have an obligation to point out that the article's title is misleading, and our honesty doesn't compromise the cause, but strengthens it, because it demonstrates that pro-lifers do indeed seek the truth. If titles like these are kept, however, then people see pro-lifers as people who are willing to play fast and loose with the truth, so how can they be trusted to speak on the issue of abortion? Honesty is never a weakness.

Be careful with the ends justifying the means, because the means will often corrupt the ends.

JonathanCid Wrote:O'Neill, with respect, I just demonstrated that this is indeed misleading. It gives the impression that the man was being persecuted, when he was not.
I didn't say otherwise.

Quote:The attitude that pro-lifers never play with words, that pro-choicers are always evil people, and pro-lifers good, innocent people, is not a healthy one to take into the seedy world of politics.
I'm not in the seedy world of politics.

Quote: There are pro-choicers who believe that there is no life to be had when an abortion is performed, and they are misled people, but not people of wicked intention. And there are pro-lifers who are the scum of the earth. And there are pro-lifers who mean well, but misconstrue things such as this because they believe it's helping the cause.
But how does all the flaws of "pro lifers" compare to the slaughter of innocents?

A man kills a child, and the neighborhood wants that man caught and do not see him as having rights. A man allows and enables the killing of millions of babies, and suddenly we are to be diplomatic and docile.

O'Neill, the discussion we're having isn't about abortion, it's about this particular incident with this particular man. I am not comparing anything with the slaughter of innocents.