FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? (/showthread.php?tid=26389)

Pages: 1 2 3

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - JacafamalaRedux - 03-15-2009

I always enjoy the little break about now.

Corned beef with all the fixings, beer, cake and ice cream.....

Irish music. I'm really up for it this year.

Who else likes to celebrate this great patron of the Green Isles?

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - Satori - 03-15-2009

Do you "corn" your own beef or buy it?

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - mike6240 - 03-15-2009

Huge parade and "parties" here in Boston for St. Patrick's day in our well known "Irish" enclave neighborhood.  Most are second to third generation Irish which is why I put the word in quotes. 

I used to go to the parade but it's now turned into a "let's see who can get drunk the most and the earliest" type of atmosphere.  I don't go anymore.  The "pubs" (ie: bars) are nothing but places to get drunk and get into fights.  Another reason I don't do the "secular" thing on St. Patrick's day. 

I'd rather go to Mass on the 17th than get caught up with the drunken "lads" who probably have never stepped foot into a church to honor St. Patrick since their baptism.

Satori Wrote:Do you "corn" your own beef or buy it?

No, for shame I don't corn my own beef. [Image: tongue.gif]

But my mother taught me how to fix it; how you take it from there makes a big difference in the end result. She taught me to boil it all day, then bake it with mustard and apricot jelly all slathered over the tops of the corned beef....until the top gets a little crisp.

Irish are all about sweets, you know? You have to have a nice cake and ice cream at a St. Patrick's day party. Otherwise, no one is truly content--most especially the little ones.

mike6240 Wrote:Huge parade and "parties" here in Boston for St. Patrick's day in our well known "Irish" enclave neighborhood.  Most are second to third generation Irish which is why I put the word in quotes. 

I used to go to the parade but it's now turned into a "let's see who can get drunk the most and the earliest" type of atmosphere.  I don't go anymore.  The "pubs" (ie: bars) are nothing but places to get drunk and get into fights.  Another reason I don't do the "secular" thing on St. Patrick's day. 

I'd rather go to Mass on the 17th than get caught up with the drunken "lads" who probably have never stepped foot into a church to honor St. Patrick since their baptism.
Yes, I understand. It can be an outrage, the drunkenness and disrespect.[Image: prayer3.gif]

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - piabee - 03-16-2009

Jacafamala Wrote:But my mother taught me how to fix it; how you take it from there makes a big difference in the end result. She taught me to boil it all day, then bake it with mustard and apricot jelly all slathered over the tops of the corned beef....until the top gets a little crisp.

That sounds delicious. Does it come out similar to the crusty sauce on meat loaf? My mom just serves the corned beef after boiling it (also good). I've been eating so much meat at dinner since this is my first year fasting. We had a St. Paddy's day preview last week but I'm ready for the real thing! [Image: gimmefood.gif]

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - Anastasia - 03-16-2009

Current plans for St Patrick's day are:
Irish cheese and soda bread
Whatever meat's on sale with colcannon
Flummery (berries, oats, nuts, whisky, honey, cream)
Tea served in the belleek china
Jameson's for after dinner

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - frerejacques - 03-16-2009

I've got a bag of rubber snakes and I'm going to hide them around the house.  My little one will "drive them out" and then we'll have cake.  

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - Satori - 03-16-2009

Frere's so creative! And Anastasia sounds like such a good cook.

Please tell me about flummery. I've heard of it and even have a recipe for it in my British cookbook, but describe what it looks like, feels like, and tastes like so I can figure out if it's something I might care to make.

Also, will someone please explain what makes corned beef "corned" beef? I used to think I knew, but was probably wrong.

Any St. Patty's Parties and goings on? - libby - 03-16-2009

frerejacques Wrote:I've got a bag of rubber snakes and I'm going to hide them around the house.  My little one will "drive them out" and then we'll have cake.  

I am going to <b>copy</b> you.