FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal (/showthread.php?tid=26439)

Pages: 1 2

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - Baskerville - 03-18-2009

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090316/ap_on_re_af/af_south_africa_catholic_protest

Accidently a South African Diocese has began using the new English translation and there are people who say it is too complicated. It's also mentioned that the new translation won't be officialy used for "a couple of years". Fr Reese the Apostate Jesuit from Georgetown says that when this is released it will be "yet another embarresment for the Pope". One African Priest says that young people don't go to Mass because the current translation is out of date and this will force young people out of the Church.
 When this is released in the US and Europe there will be lots of baby boomers ticked off and wetting their depends. The fight goes on.

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - St_Josephs_Man - 03-18-2009

LoL, they're confused because they don't know their faith!

And that priest is a Jesuit. That pretty much says it all.

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - tridentinist - 03-18-2009

I am South African - the new translations for the Ordinary of the Mass and responses but not the Canons, Prefaces, propers, etc - was introduced throughout the country during Advent. The bishops, it turned out, had jumped the gun, but have now received permission to continue with the new translations, even though other English-speaking countries will only introduce them in a year or two (or three...).

There has been an almighty uproar in the letter pages of the drearily leftist Southern Cross - our national Catholic weekly - a paper which is heavily oriented to the progressivist wing and often has articles from the National Catholic Reporter. Left wing dissent is predictably encouraged. Dozens of letters have appeared deploring the newer translations as "pompous", "regressive", "not in the spirit of Vatican II" and urging pressure on Rome to backtrack. I am reliably informed by a very orthodox local priest that he is acquainted with many of these letter writers and they are really a clique of friends with an axe to grind who are doing this organised letter-writing, hand-wringing/whining campaign.

I have no idea what the feeling on the ground is, so to speak, among ordinary Novus Ordo Catholics, regarding the new translations, and whether they DO object to them seriously. I only attend the NO when I have no other choice.

The question I have raised, though, is how many of these critics were oh so sympathetic to "people confused, bewildered by changes to the familiar Mass text" back at the time of Vatican II and its aftermath. I rather think not. Their sympathy is directed one way only.

God bless

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - OCLittleFlower - 03-18-2009

Oh wow...

No pleasing everyone, I guess.  But then again, if the "progressives" are displeased...

Then again, the term progressive does imply progress, yet these people will never understand that change does not equal progress.

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - introibo - 03-18-2009

St_Josephs_Man Wrote:LoL, they're confused because they don't know their faith!

And that priest is a Jesuit. That pretty much says it all.

This is the priest that used to be the editor of liberal "American" magazine, as I recall.  I also remember seeing a documentary about the election of Pope Benedict, and this guy was there at St. Peter's, literally saying "Oh No!" when Ratzinger was announced as the next Pope.

Christina

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - didishroom - 03-18-2009

Yes, all the young people are going to start leaving the Church in droves because they would rather not say "thee" and "thou."

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - DarkKnight - 03-18-2009

didishroom Wrote:Yes, all the young people are going to start leaving the Church in droves because they would rather not say "thee" and "thou."

As opposed to "Me" and "Mine"!

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - ONeill - 03-18-2009

If the issues are around "thee" and other features of English, it is an important consideration. "you" is always plural and it can be unfitting for certain circumstances. Most religions which have pronouns of different number refer to God in the singular (or, if they have more than one deity, they refer to specific ones in the singular)

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - Baskerville - 03-18-2009

tridentinist Wrote:I am reliably informed by a very orthodox local priest that he is acquainted with many of these letter writers and they are really a clique of friends with an Axe to grind who are doing this organised letter-writing, hand-wringing/whining campaign.

Ah yes the local group. Let me guess late 60's-mid 70's, pro abortion, pro birth control, pro womens ordination. I really hate it when these geriatric dissenters try to speak for the young.

Protests erupt over new English translation of the Roman Missal - DrBombay - 03-18-2009

It's a pity the Church doesn't have something like a universal language which she could use in her liturgy, one that gives rise to no jealousies, favors no nation and is equally accpetable to all.
I know.  That's crazy talk. [Image: pazzo.gif]