FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? (/showthread.php?tid=27355)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Baskerville - 04-30-2009

I am wondering what you all think. Lately I have been getting really bad panic attacks and I cant drive all the way across town without getting one. So I have to attend the nearest Mass to me because I cant drive until I get this taken care of with therapy. Anyway the nearest Mass is in a new round Church with no stained glass no statues one eastern style Icon and an avant garde modern art Crucifix. The Priest is horrible he says things that border on heresy has publicly attacked the Pope for the Motu Proprio and ad libs the Mass and wont elevate or genuflect at the sacred host or Chalice.
My Question until I get my problem taken care of should I go to this hippie Mass or just skip it until I can get back to the SSPX and my reverent NO Church? Any thoughts at all would be helpful.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - didishroom - 04-30-2009

Normally I say suck it up and deal. Sunday obligation must be met. However if you're health, spiritual and physical at risk, then maybe staying home wouldn't be a bad idea. Just don't make it a habit.

And a quick prayer for your problems. :pray:

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Baskerville - 04-30-2009

(04-30-2009, 11:16 PM)didishroom Wrote: Normally I say suck it up and deal. Sunday obligation must be met. However if you're health, spiritual and physical at risk, then maybe staying home wouldn't be a bad idea. Just don't make it a habit.

And a quick prayer for your problems. :pray:
Thanks Didi.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - INPEFESS - 04-30-2009

Considering you already know what I think, need I even post? Haha! I think I've already said all I can about this in other threads.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Benno - 05-01-2009

1. That kind of thing is actually a valid reason to avoid Mass.
2. That "Mass" sounds pretty bad, and I've been to mostly NO Masses.
3. A prayer from me too.
4. Try to "help yourself" re the anxiety etc as much as you can before "seeking help" from people who will probably do more harm than good.
5. God knows you and will help you. Pray.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Historian - 05-01-2009

The building shouldn't be a consideration -- Masses have been said on battlefields.  An ugly building is not sacrilege.  You have to suck it up and go if it's just the building.  Likewise if the priest doesn't like the MP.  That makes him a chowderhead, not an heretic or apostate.

But, based on what you said the priest was doing, I wouldn't go, and I don't have a knee jerk reaction against the Novus Ordo.  What you describe sounds like an abomination completely unrelated to the Novus Ordo Missae.  It's a bad priest who is scandalizing the faithful and at the least engaging in disrespect towards the Real Presence.

If you have the time and stomach, you should probably write the Bishop as well.  Just don't sound like a nutjob when you're doing it.  EWTN can give you some suggestions on how and what to write if you decide to make the effort.  The bishop may not know and might fix it.  If he does know already or ignores your letter, it's on his head.  You did your part.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Historian - 05-01-2009

I would say in general to only avoid masses where the priest knowlingly violates the laws and rubrics. The key is knowlingly. This applies to all masses. If a traditional priest started to omit the prayer for the Pope, that would be just as bad as those "progressives" who deny the sanctity of the Church.

In this case, from what you describe, I would think that is a priest to avoid.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - GodFirst - 05-01-2009

The Novus Ordo itself is justification not to attend. I'd stay home with what you've mention and just pray the Tridentine Missal. I'll mention you and your case in my prayers. Our Blessed Mother will help you.

God bless you and heal your anxiety. I've deal with anxiety attacks also, at least I think it's anxiety.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - glgas - 05-01-2009

(05-01-2009, 07:33 AM)GodFirst Wrote: The Novus Ordo itself is justification not to attend. I'd stay home with what you've mention and just pray the Tridentine Missal. I'll mention you and your case in my prayers. Our Blessed Mother will help you.

God bless you and heal your anxiety. I've deal with anxiety attacks also, at least I think it's anxiety.

The difference is, that in the Mass (New Order of Traditional)  our Lord is present in susbstance, in your prayer only remotely. This is the matter of priorities: your will or His.

Re: How bad would a Novus Ordo Mass have to be to justify not attending? - Belloc - 05-01-2009

(05-01-2009, 07:33 AM)GodFirst Wrote: The Novus Ordo itself is justification not to attend. I'd stay home with what you've mention and just pray the Tridentine Missal. I'll mention you and your case in my prayers. Our Blessed Mother will help you.

Clown Masses
SIlly, Father Toastmaster antics
SIster Gumdrops leading it

NO may be only option, some-very few-do it reverently and holy.....I hope in my lifetime to see sharp decline in NO attendance and sharp increase in attendance at TLM....I go to TLM 3/4 time, Padre does have me reading 1x month at NO........I leave out the gender neutral "brothers and sisters" in the 2nd Pauline reading......the one usually stripped of any real meaning or controversial statements......