FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
exercise - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: exercise (/showthread.php?tid=27555)

Pages: 1 2 3

exercise - kzarah - 05-09-2009

Is anyone involved in any kind of exercise program.  I lost some weight during lent and now am walking about 3 miles a day.  My problem area is my abdominal area.  I should put on a few pounds (I am too thin now) but it always go right to my gut.  With out the gut I can dress better for Mass.  I can tuck my shirt in like a respectable Catholic man. 
Abdominal exercises are hard and time consuming however they do help you back. 
I guess I will start small with some low rep crunches and continue with the walking.
What is your exercise program.  Please, list all the abdominal exercises that you find particularly easy and fun.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Re: exercise - Historian - 05-09-2009

(05-09-2009, 08:27 PM)kzarah Wrote: Abdominal exercises are hard and time consuming however they do help you back. 
And they do nothing for fat. Don't do crunches or anything like them at this point in time.

Quote:I guess I will start small with some low rep crunches and continue with the walking.
What is your exercise program.  Please, list all the abdominal exercises that you find particularly easy and fun.
Daniel and Little Lulu

The problem is not your abs, but the fat. I would bet money that your abs are a bone fide washboard, but that means nothing with fat on them or under them.

The issue here is calorie reduction and not losing muscle tissue. I would recommend avoiding foods which high glycemic indices first and then avoiding excess calories. Secondly, you should work on strength training. This training should be for your entire body. If you can't use weights and can't do body weight exercises in a way that is useful, I'd recommend using diet to control your waist first.

Re: exercise - tradmaverick - 05-09-2009

I was quite fond of my gut whilst I had it, then I had to go and get married and that all changed!

I think a gut is sign you drink a healthy amount of beer.

Orover here, a healthy amount of stout.....mmmmmm stout...............how I miss thee!!!!  :cheers:

Honestly even by posting this I am seriously thirsty....I mean id drink anything now that even vaguely reminded me of stout, even the dreaded Beamish............

Oh ya about the excerise....sit ups and crunches man, good old fashioned way to do it, worked for me!!  Also those what are they called? Roman crunches? Not sure of the name basically you lye backwards and do a crunch. google it its there somewhere.

(05-09-2009, 09:32 PM)tradmaverick Wrote: Oh ya about the excerise....sit ups and crunches man, good old fashioned way to do it, worked for me!! 

I highly doubt that.

I could say I gained 5 lbs of muscle doing absolutely nothing special for 6 months and tell the truth, but not given any meaningful advice.

Situps and crunches won't diminish abdominal adipose tissue.

Re: exercise - kzarah - 05-09-2009

Rosarium
    Fat is not an issue with me.  I lost all of my fat.  I am now about ten lbs under weight which ticks a lot of people off.  So I need to gain some weight but I don't want it to go to my gut as it always does.  That is why I wanted to do something to strengthen my ab muscles. 
    Sure does feel good to have a closet ful of clothes that fit. 
Daniel

(05-09-2009, 11:06 PM)kzarah Wrote: Rosarium
     Fat is not an issue with me.  I lost all of my fat.  I am now about ten lbs under weight which ticks a lot of people off.  So I need to gain some weight but I don't want it to go to my gut as it always does.  That is why I wanted to do something to strengthen my ab muscles. 
Daniel

Crunches barely built muscle in that area. What you need to do is focus on building muscle overall. To do this, you need heavy weights/resistance and full body movements.

A couple six week cycles of 5x5 clean and presses would do more for your abs than crunches.

Re: exercise - DrBombay - 05-10-2009

(05-09-2009, 11:06 PM)kzarah Wrote: Rosarium
Daniel

The fat are always jealous of the thin.  That's thinnism, a most insidious prejudice. 

I'd suggest sit ups and crunches, an obscene amount every day.  And lots and lots and lots of red meat, just dripping with blood.  And never touch a vegetable.

Worked for me.  :tiphat:

Re: exercise - kzarah - 05-10-2009

Rosarium
    Thanks for the advice but I don't want to build muscle (or increase my waist size) or my clothes won't fit.  I need to put on fat just not in the waist line.  I also need to improve y posture.  I don't know if any of you have been through this before but, when you are larger you tend to lean back to balance your self.  When you loose the weight you still tend to lean back and push your stomach out.  

DrBombay
    I don't know if the fat is jealous of the thin but they they certainly don't like it. 

Daniel

Re: exercise - Scipio_a - 05-10-2009

Join the Army and go Airborne, thet'll run the crap out of you, feed you, and make you do stomach execises.  Worked for me years ago.

I could do the 2 mile run in 11 min, 80 pushups in 75 secs, and 60 something sit ups in 2 min.  You know the real kicker, after helping my wife (girlfreind at the time) get out of the "fat program" she got the PT badge for scoring above 290 on the PT test...I never got it.

Re: exercise - Iuvenalis - 05-10-2009

This has gotten me pretty ripped, well, this and steroids: