FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
"Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" (/showthread.php?tid=27740)

Pages: 1 2

"Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - ThatOneGuy - 05-18-2009

Quick post and run.
Topics concerning food, environment and animal welfare got me in trouble on Catholic Answers Forums. Are you guys the same way?
"Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised"
"The real food is not being advertised. And that's really all you need to know."
Energy, healthcare, agriculture, climate change, global outbreaks like swine flu—what do all these topics have in common? Food. That’s right, none of these issues can really be tackled without addressing some of the fundamental problems of the food system and the American diet.
http://www.alternet.org/story/140029/

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - DrBombay - 05-18-2009

Everyone gets in trouble on the Catholic Answers forums.  Especially when they find out you're Catholic.

I'm kidding.  I kid.  :sneaky:

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - matut - 05-18-2009

(05-18-2009, 10:09 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Everyone gets in trouble on the Catholic Answers forums.  Especially when they find out you're Catholic.

Ohhh yes. I'm usually a "good girl" and I had no problem getting in trouble over there by like.. post number 5.

I agree with you on the food thing. I believe clean, whole food is a social justice issue.  It goes along with responsible stewardship and natural living that are fitting for Catholics to live in appreciation of God's creation. Sure, it takes its place in the "hierarchy of good", so to speak. The problems arise when the "green movement" tries to elevate their causes out of the proper order. That's just ugly.

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - ThatOneGuy - 05-18-2009

Cool. I mean,.. at least I am not alone. This makes for a very nice welcome of sorts. Maybe I will stick around. I would just like to add:

For more than two decades, we have been struggling with the conflicts that ethical vegans have faced within the Church. People who have a deep empathy for every living being upon this earth naturally seek to live more compassionately. They do everything in their power to end the suffering of every other living being, whether human or non-human. They stop eating animals. They stop wearing animal skins and using any product or services that exploit animals. They become vegans.

In the process of making this lifestyle change, these vegans naturally think that the church will embrace their decision because it is the most loving, compassionate, and peacemaking way to live, and one that truly honors God and the whole of His creation. Unfortunately, in most cases the church has rejected this compassionate way of living in favor of exploiting God's creation for their own personal lusts, and finding every excuse possible to justify their actions. The church has become indifferent to the suffering of animals and those who care about them; and, as a result, the vegans find themselves being ridiculed and generally made to feel uncomfortable.
http://www.veganworldezine.com/articles ... Page1.html

just testing the waters... :comp:

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Satori - 05-19-2009

Most of us won't agree with you on this issue, but there are vegans who are regular, well-liked posters here.You can always duke it out in the sub-forum for controversial issues.

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - GodFirst - 05-19-2009

umm... I like juicy steaks from organic grassfed cows. I absolutely agree with the title of this thread but Our Lord Jesus was no vegan and quite something else. Even infallible Sacred Scripture says He ate fish after His Resurrection. Man is the only rational animal and God gave Man dominion over all physical creation being the reason for which He created it. God made the animals for us to ate, to use, etc. We don't have to and shouldn't be cruel to them but they are here for our use and our good. They do not have rights as they are not rational living spirits. When they die, they are gone. They have no personhood unlike us and the Angels. Their dignity is as below ours as our dignity is below God's.
As well science has given too much evidence that some animal food is necessary for human health. Animal vitamin A (retinal) is often not converted sufficiently by the human body from beta-caretine and the same goes for vitamin D which is produced by sunlight hitting cholesterol under the skin. And how many people are scared of sunlight these days with all the outright lies?
If you want the truth about our food, check out the Weston Andrew Price Foundation.

God bless in His Spirit of Truth

P.S. Please don't make up Commandments on your own.

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Historian - 05-19-2009

Where's Rosarium?  I want to talk about Lenten fasting for vegans. 

I kinda miss Lent.

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Satori - 05-19-2009

(05-19-2009, 01:55 PM)Magnificat Wrote: Where's Rosarium?  I want to talk about Lenten fasting for vegans. 

I kinda miss Lent.

Who misses Lent? Weirdo.

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Scipio_a - 05-19-2009

(05-19-2009, 02:29 PM)Satori Wrote:
(05-19-2009, 01:55 PM)Magnificat Wrote: Where's Rosarium?  I want to talk about Lenten fasting for vegans. 

I kinda miss Lent.
Who misses Lent? Weirdo.

Fishie

Re: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised" - Historian - 05-19-2009

Hypothesis: diets high in animal protein cause impaired ability to detect sarcasm without emoticons.