FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Seeking Books on . . . - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Seeking Books on . . . (/showthread.php?tid=28254)

Seeking Books on . . . - Katherine of Aragon - 06-08-2009

the Crusades, as well as the Merovingian/Frankish period in Christendom.  And a proper history of the Knights Templar.  And a book on the institution of the Papal Inquisition (not so much the Spanish one, but that is all right, too).  I love Regine Pernoud, but her Templar book is only in French.  :(  I have her book on the Crusades and her book on the "Middle Ages", but I want more.

I am extremely interested in these periods, but it seems that most of the sources I find are biased against the Church.  Regine Pernoud is quite refreshingly unbiased, but, alas, not all her works are available in translation.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations?  I am at a loss.

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - Anastasia - 06-08-2009

Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - Katherine of Aragon - 06-08-2009

(06-08-2009, 10:55 AM)Anastasia Wrote: Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.

Warren Carroll sounds good.  I will be sure to check him out.  Pre-Tudor is fine.  ;D  I enjoyed reading about Queen Isabella, the "She-Wolf of France," not to mention the Wars of the Roses, so I will look into the Costain.

Thank you, Anastasia!  :)

Anything on the Templars anyone?

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - veritatem_dilexisti - 06-08-2009

- Paul F. Grendler, The Roman Inquisition and the Venetian Press;
- Henry S. Kamen, The Spanish Inquisition: An Historical Revision;
- Edward Peters, Inquisition;
- John Tedeschi, The Prosecution of Heresy;
- Thomas F. Madden, A Concise History of the Crusades.

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - tarpeian - 06-08-2009

I am working on The New Knighthood by: Malcom Barber, The Trial of The Templars: Malcom Barber, The Crusades by: Belloc,  The Illustrated History of the Crusades by: Madden, The New Concise History of the Crusades by: Thomas Madden. I can tell you I have read Warren Carroll's books and they are excellent.

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - Joamy - 06-08-2009

(06-08-2009, 11:01 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote:
(06-08-2009, 10:55 AM)Anastasia Wrote: Warren Carroll's Christendom series should be helpful. Triumph by Crocker also has some good stuff on the Inquisition. I don't know if you're at all looking for english history pre-Tudor, but Thomas Costain's series on the Plantagenets is entertaining and well written.

Warren Carroll sounds good.  I will be sure to check him out.  Pre-Tudor is fine.  ;D  I enjoyed reading about Queen Isabella, the "She-Wolf of France," not to mention the Wars of the Roses, so I will look into the Costain.

Thank you, Anastasia!  :)

Anything on the Templars anyone?

Warren Carroll is excellent.  Can't help you with the Knights Templar, though.  Hilaire Belloc has an excellent (but short) history of the Crusades.

Re: Seeking Books on . . . - McNider - 06-08-2009

I recommend The Templars by Piers Paul Read.