FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? (/showthread.php?tid=28750)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Avus - 06-27-2009

This question, of course, is mainly directed at us old-timers. Here's my first encounter:

I was in my parish parochial grade school (old-style St. Joe sisters) during VCII so had almost no knowledge that the Council was even happening. In '65 I went into high school (Catholic all boys) and had a priest for religion. His topics focused on sex and he had girlie magazines in his drawer. That shocked us but not remotely as much as coming back for sophomore year in Sept '66 to find that over the summer he had left the priesthood to get married (guess all that sex talk was too much for him to resist). Us cradle "Catholic ghetto" boys never imagined such a thing could happen but another priest explained to us that the new "Spirit of VCII" was giving priests wonderful options they never had before. That was my first encounter with it.

A few months later the sisters at my former parish grade school ditched their habits and their religious names. That's when it really hit us that the bridges had been burned and things would never be the same again.  :(

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - INPEFESS - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 09:53 AM)Avus Wrote: This question, of course, is mainly directed at us old-timers. Here's my first encounter:

I was in my parish parochial grade school (old-style St. Joe sisters) during VCII so had almost no knowledge that the Council was even happening. In '65 I went into high school (Catholic all boys) and had a priest (Fr. Toner) for religion. His topics focused on sex and he had girlie magazines in his drawer. That shocked us but not remotely as much as coming back for sophomore year in Sept '66 to find that over the summer he had left the priesthood to get married (guess all that sex talk was too much for him to resist). Us cradle "Catholic ghetto" boys never imagined such a thing could happen but another priest explained to us that the new "Spirit of VCII" was giving priests wonderful options they never had before. That was my first encounter with it.

A few months later the sisters at my former parish grade school ditched their habits and their religious names. That's when it really hit us that the bridges had been burned and things would never be the same again.  :(

That is very sad indeed.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Nic - 06-27-2009

That is indeed sad, and I have heard many stories similar to what happened to you concerning the "early days" of the installation of Vatican II edicts.

...but, my friend, have hope.  You say that things will "never be the same again."  I must disagree with that statement.  The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy.  She has won out over every other calamity, and this time we have the assurance of Our Lady that her Immaculate Heart will prevail.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - augusztina - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 10:18 AM)Nic Wrote: .

The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy. 

Will you please articulate which heresy you are speaking of.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - DJR - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 09:53 AM)Avus Wrote: This question, of course, is mainly directed at us old-timers. Here's my first encounter:

I was in my parish parochial grade school (old-style St. Joe sisters) during VCII so had almost no knowledge that the Council was even happening. In '65 I went into high school (Catholic all boys) and had a priest (Fr. Toner) for religion. His topics focused on sex and he had girlie magazines in his drawer. That shocked us but not remotely as much as coming back for sophomore year in Sept '66 to find that over the summer he had left the priesthood to get married (guess all that sex talk was too much for him to resist). Us cradle "Catholic ghetto" boys never imagined such a thing could happen but another priest explained to us that the new "Spirit of VCII" was giving priests wonderful options they never had before. That was my first encounter with it.

One of my most vivid memories of "the changes" was when someone told me that "Saint Christopher is no longer a saint."  I was standing in our dining room at the time.  My first thought was, "How can that be?  I have one of his medals."

That's an example of our naivete in those days.

I, too, remember when our nuns dropped their habits.  They also dropped the word "holy" from the name of their order.  That speaks volumes, doesn't it?  They used to be called the Sisters of the Holy Humility of Mary.  After "the changes," they called themselves merely Sisters of the Humility of Mary. Then they began to leave in droves. 

Our associate, Father M., also left the priesthood and got married.  Sad.  I always liked him.  He presided over my brother's wedding.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Underdog - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 10:21 AM)augusztina Wrote:
(06-27-2009, 10:18 AM)Nic Wrote: .

The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy. 

Will you please articulate which heresy you are speaking of.

um, Modernism--you know, the synthesis of all heresies.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Magdalene - 06-27-2009

As I was getting out of high school, all hell (literally) seemed to be breaking loose in the church. Nuns and priests were throwing off their sacred gaments and leaving their vows and guitar music came to Mass and the Mass was new and cool and anything and everything in the church seemed subject to change. But, hey, I liked it; it made sinning easier for sure and it was not even considered sin for many things anymore. So I joined the millions of lukewarm cafeteria Catholics for about 19 years. Then Our Lady got a hold of me!

At first with my reconversion, I could not see what havoc the changes had wrought because I had so many layers on my own soul.  But about 1996, I began to see that whenever the diocese spoke about the 'spirit of Vaticn iI' that we were in for yet another innovation. We stood about the altar and held hands and stood for the consecration because we were a 'resurrection' people.  Our Lady was just 'another pregnant teen' and so on. IT BEGAN TO BOTHER ME!  Did I need to stand around the altar or for the consecration? Was it an obedience issue to the bishop? What to do? How to be faithful? I had to work those things out. And I had picked up the rosary by that time too which helps in the seeing of heretical actions.  I began to kneel for the consecration--wierdo, fanatic I was called. Yep, thats me.

I began to dread that awful 'spirit' which was NOT the Holy Spirit. I wrote to the bishop about some of the liturgical abuses and got a most patronizing letter in return. I did not understand, the bishop wrote, the new ministry of the laity. I went to Canon Law and Vatican II and the Catechism and answered him on some points he made. He never answered back. Later he wanted me removed from any activity in the parish.

Yeah-spirit of vatican two. An evil dissenting, dividing, unholy spirit.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - INPEFESS - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 10:52 AM)Magdalene Wrote: Yeah-spirit of vatican two. An evil dissenting, dividing, unholy spirit.

What spirit do you think it is that is having such a negative effect on souls and wreaking havoc in the Church?

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - jovan66102 - 06-27-2009

Actually, long before I became a Catholic. I was taken to a party by some friends who were Catholic. I saw an extremely attractive woman in miniskirt and high heeled boots, nicely made up. What can I say, I was young! She had no ring on and, prepatory to hitting on her, I asked my friends who she was. The response? 'Oh, that's Sister X. She teaches in our school'!

Not much later, I lost my girlfriend (a Catholic) to a priest. Their affair was facilitated by another priest who had a rural parish where they weren't known and he would absent himself from the rectory to make it available for their assignations.

And I became a Catholic anyway!

(06-27-2009, 11:16 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Actually, long before I became a Catholic. I was taken to a party by some friends who were Catholic. I saw an extremely attractive woman in miniskirt and high heeled boots, nicely made up. What can I say, I was young! She had no ring on and, prepatory to hitting on her, I asked my friends who she was. The response? 'Oh, that's Sister X. She teaches in our school'!

Not much later, I lost my girlfriend (a Catholic) to a priest. Their affair was facilitated by another priest who had a rural parish where they weren't known and he would absent himself from the rectory to make it available for their assignations.

And I became a Catholic anyway!

Oh wow! You truly are blessed to have found the Faith and maintained it through all of that!