FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? (/showthread.php?tid=28750)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Tim - 06-27-2009

Mine is an odd tale.It starts in 1962 while the Council is in session and no changes yet, just rumors. The Chicago Public School System is trying to get the Chicago Archdiocesan Schools a bad time.They want them to teach sex ed or lose their accreditation. So sex ed will be taught for the first time in 1962. The Sisters of Providence ( full habits with yard sticks and pointers ) pass on this and ask then Arschbishop Sheil, our Pastor, to please take care of it, as they can not. He assigns a priest, Fr. Nemmers. who is the youngest priest at that time. he's about thirty or thiry-five. The Sisters split both seventh and eighth grades into boys and girls, and then into two sessions of both grades mixed. Father gives us the info., but he is beet red after the first few minutes. Us boys hold our breath until he is done and are dismissed. As we went home we were dying of laughter at the spectacle. Father was completely past his knowledge and it showed. He was in terrible pain at what he had to do.

Then came 1965 and then again came 1969, with all that means. Father Nemmers left the Church and he married a Nun that no one knew. He was ridiculed for what he did. Many said it was because of the sex and he was a bad Priest. But us kids knew better. I and others thought he left because of the changes, he married the Nun cause he need someone else that still believed.

I left around this time as I was rebellious. It is no one's fault but mine own. I returned about thirty some years later, through the Mercy of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. I don't like to think about those days. I think similarly like many here do about the Vatican II, but I ain't qualified to take it apart.You all have taught me that. Though my opinions are similar. My conclusion is this; Satan, Lucifer, the Devil, was ready for a WWII type invasion  and he took his shot, now, only the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Our Mother will save us.

O Jesu Caritatis Victimam. miserere nobis,
tim,

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - information - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 10:18 AM)Nic Wrote: That is indeed sad, and I have heard many stories similar to what happened to you concerning the "early days" of the installation of Vatican II edicts.

...but, my friend, have hope.  You say that things will "never be the same again."  I must disagree with that statement.  The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy.  She has won out over every other calamity, and this time we have the assurance of Our Lady that her Immaculate Heart will prevail.

It seems to me that The Church will get stronger as a result of this. like an inoculation for the flu can make you sick for awhile but afterward you can fight off the sickness more easily.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - INPEFESS - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 12:26 PM)information Wrote:
(06-27-2009, 10:18 AM)Nic Wrote: That is indeed sad, and I have heard many stories similar to what happened to you concerning the "early days" of the installation of Vatican II edicts.

...but, my friend, have hope.  You say that things will "never be the same again."  I must disagree with that statement.  The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy.  She has won out over every other calamity, and this time we have the assurance of Our Lady that her Immaculate Heart will prevail.

It seems to me that The Church will get stronger as a result of this. like an inoculation for the flu can make you sick for awhile but afterward you can fight off the sickness more easily.

I hope you are right...

Oremus:

1) That it gets better.

2) That it becomes strengthened as a result of this.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Walty - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 11:16 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Actually, long before I became a Catholic. I was taken to a party by some friends who were Catholic. I saw an extremely attractive woman in miniskirt and high heeled boots, nicely made up. What can I say, I was young! She had no ring on and, prepatory to hitting on her, I asked my friends who she was. The response? 'Oh, that's Sister X. She teaches in our school'!

Not much later, I lost my girlfriend (a Catholic) to a priest. Their affair was facilitated by another priest who had a rural parish where they weren't known and he would absent himself from the rectory to make it available for their assignations.

And I became a Catholic anyway!

Oh, God bless you Jovan.  That story is really sad and I'm very thankful that some people held onto the Church (or joined her) even when all the clergy around them were far from up to snuff.  If it hadn't have been for you guys, I'm not sure where I'd be.  Bravo. :tiphat:

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Walty - 06-27-2009

Actually, upon reading all of these responses, I'm really amazed.

I'm still not sure how or why, but it's funny how the Spirit of Vatican II progressed throughout the 60s into today.  I went to Catholic school my entire life, but I was born in 1987, so the concept of the spirit of Vatican II, much less even knowing that the Church had been different before this Vatican II thing was lost on me until late high school.  But all the same, upon reflection, things just continually got less and less reverent as I progressed through school.  When I was in 1st and 2nd grade I remember distinctly the ringing of the bells during consecration (of course I had no idea what consecration or the Eucharist really were), but by the time I had gotten to 5th grade and into middle school, that wasn't done anywhere in my hometown.  We still had two nuns in the early 90s, one teacher and one the principal.  They didn't wear habits, but they at least wore their caps or hats (I'm not sure of the official name), but by the end of elementary school at least one of them had gotten rid of that as well.  Now, I don't think there are any nuns at all associated with any of the Catholic schools in town, and the big building next to my elementary school that housed the very elderly nuns has been torn down for more parking lot.

Anyway, I just thought it interesting how it still progressed more and more toward modernism even in the 90s.  I cannot imagine having gone through it in the 60s, however, such as you did.  All of us youngins would be in some frightful states in life if you had not preserved your sense of, or returned to, what you knew to the holy and reverent.  Thank you.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Nic - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 10:21 AM)augusztina Wrote:
(06-27-2009, 10:18 AM)Nic Wrote: .

The Church will triumph over this malignant storm of heresy. 

Will you please articulate which heresy you are speaking of.

Modernism - what the Holy Pope St. Pius X referred to as "the synthesis of all heresies"

I also agree that the Church will grow stronger due to this crisis, albeit smaller in number.  I feel that God is using the "spirit of Vatican" and the errors of our times to weed out the heretics in the Church, to separate the "weeds from the wheat."  I believe through these horrible times of the Church being tempted in the desert will lead to the Temple being purified.

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - jacobhalo - 06-27-2009

The only spirit to come out of Vatican II was the devil. :o

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - INPEFESS - 06-27-2009

(06-27-2009, 03:50 PM)jacobhalo Wrote:   The only spirit to come out of Vatican II was the devil. :o

You're most welcome here...  :)

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - Tim - 06-27-2009

Nic, I take your point, but please tell me what our sin was? We are derided as the generation that prayed, paid, and obeyed. We thought that Priests were alter Christi and if we obeyed, they would help us get to heaven. No one had told us it was necessary for our salvation to get a license in Theology, and none of us were prepared. I'm not defending the "changers" but what of those that fell away? Jesus came for the lost sheep, are we now the Church of the Pharisees, with great disdain for those publicans and sinners? I'm not accusing, but asking sincerely about the logical extension of your premise, is all?

Re: What was your first encounter with the "Spirit of VCII"? - CrusaderKing - 06-27-2009

In my case, it was the early-mid 1970's. I went to a Catholic school in the Bronx, and periodically, they would bring us to church, where a couple of women would play their guitars, butchering the Our Father with it. This was right around the time Sister Janet Mead had her hit song in 1974 with her version of the Our Father. I could also tell you about the ridiculous songs they had us sing when we made our first Holy Communion.

Within a few years of these events, I was told by teachers in that school that a) Purgatory didn't exist and b) the Soviet Union and Communism were just peachy. By the time I was 13 years old, I had moved to a town in upstate NY, and was told by a CCD teacher that there was no such thing as mortal and venial sins; they were products of the Dark Ages.

Needless to say, I had had enough, and didn't attend Mass again until the late 1990's.