FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Cakes: the painful truth - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cakes: the painful truth (/showthread.php?tid=28960)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Cakes: the painful truth - Katherine of Aragon - 07-04-2009

Ok, here it is.

I don't really like cake.

There are a few exceptions (carrot cake, German chocolate cake, and yogurt-spice cake), but that is all.  Cake is just all right.  It's edible; it's fine.  It's just nothing special.

I have made cakes for years.  Marble-swirl, chocolate, yellow, double-chocolate snack cake, the better-than-most-but-still-just-a-cake red velvet cake, white cake, etc. But they're nothing I really want.

It's just that, whenever I get ready to bake something (which is several times a week), cake is not really on the radar.  Carrot cake is what I make for my husband's birthday, and for me, German chocolate cake entails making from-scratch caramel coconut icing--meaning I make the caramel from scratch, too.  ::)  It's a pain.  I sometimes make yogurt-spice cake, which is more a snack-cake.  It is not iced, and it is not that sweet.  It goes well with coffee.

I bake cookies, bars, and pies.  I make cheesecake.  I make fudge (rocky road fudge, actually).  I just . . . try to avoid making cakes anymore.

Is this normal?  Is there help for me?  ;) Or should I simply give up on cake and accept that the memories I have of cakes in childhood (which I made myself then, too) are rose-colored?

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - Satori - 07-04-2009

You should accept the fact that you're a weirdo. Cake is one of my favorite foods.

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - Mafalda - 07-04-2009

:pazzo:
This time of year: cake with fresh fruit. Mmmm. Don't like that either?

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - SmileBugMK - 07-04-2009

As someone who makes cake at least once a week, I say you're perfectly normal!  I almost never eat mine, even when I have the opportunity.  I'll just steal a bite of my husband's slice to make sure it was up to snuff.  Other than that, meh.  I can never eat a whole slice.   It's really just fun to see other people get excited about something I made for them.  There's a certain element of pride in it.  That's why I like making cake.  

I do think it's strange and sort of sad that you have to make your own birthday cake, however.  My husband's cooking repetoire is cold cereal, toast, and spaghetti, so no fancy birthday dessert for me.  My birthday dinner last year was spaghetti and garlic toast.  For dessert we had ice cream.  Mine had a candle in it.   :laughing:

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - SCG - 07-04-2009

Cake is my favorite food. I could eat cake and absolutely nothing else. Oh and SmileBug, I haven't forgotten your offer or my offer to pay you for a cake. I have two more surgical treatments to go.. then I'll be sending you a PM about that "rain check."  :cake:  :)

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - ErinIsNice - 07-04-2009

I love cake.  Mr. IsNice hates cake.  He gets chocolate chip cookies for his birthday.

I don't have to make my own birthday cake though, my mommy still makes one for me  :laughing:

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - SCG - 07-04-2009

(07-04-2009, 12:17 PM)ErinIsNice Wrote: I love cake.  Mr. IsNice hates cake.  He gets chocolate chip cookies for his birthday.

I don't have to make my own birthday cake though, my mommy still makes one for me  :laughing:

My mommy did for me too..  :laughing: until my daughter was old enough to be entrusted the task. On January 6th its always COCONUT.. delivered to my door. She's such a good girl.

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - goggleeyes - 07-04-2009

You've clearly never had my little sister's cake.  I thought I didn't like cake, too, until she started baking.  We've had to issue a moratorium on her baking more often than once every couple of week or for special occasions, lest we all outgrow our wardrobes.

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - OKinyobe - 07-04-2009

(07-04-2009, 09:16 AM)Katherine of Aragon Wrote: Ok, here it is.

I don't really like cake.

There are a few exceptions (carrot cake, German chocolate cake, and yogurt-spice cake), but that is all.  Cake is just all right.  It's edible; it's fine.  It's just nothing special.

I have made cakes for years.  Marble-swirl, chocolate, yellow, double-chocolate snack cake, the better-than-most-but-still-just-a-cake red velvet cake, white cake, etc. But they're nothing I really want.

It's just that, whenever I get ready to bake something (which is several times a week), cake is not really on the radar.  Carrot cake is what I make for my husband's birthday, and for me, German chocolate cake entails making from-scratch caramel coconut icing--meaning I make the caramel from scratch, too.  ::)  It's a pain.  I sometimes make yogurt-spice cake, which is more a snack-cake.  It is not iced, and it is not that sweet.  It goes well with coffee.

I bake cookies, bars, and pies.  I make cheesecake.  I make fudge (rocky road fudge, actually).  I just . . . try to avoid making cakes anymore.

Is this normal?  Is there help for me?   ;) Or should I simply give up on cake and accept that the memories I have of cakes in childhood (which I made myself then, too) are rose-colored?

Madame, I disagree with what you say but will defend you to the death for your right to say it. ;)
Maybe you are experiencing cake baking burn-out. Fudge is always good therapy. Or perhaps more savory items.

Re: Cakes: the painful truth - DrBombay - 07-04-2009

I like wedding cake.  No, I love wedding cake.  Don't really like any other type.  But I really hate weddings, so it's a catch 22.

It's almost enough to make me want to get married.  Almost.  :sneaky: