FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Bp W column, 7.4.09 - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Bp W column, 7.4.09 (/showthread.php?tid=28963)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - lamentabili sane - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 03:06 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 02:55 PM)orate Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 02:51 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 02:48 PM)orate Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 02:43 PM)lamentabili sane Wrote: Some of us were discussing what Pope Pius XI has said, not what  Bap. Williamson said. The Catholic Faith is not just a collection of de fide pronouncements.

The topic of this thread id His Excellency's letter of 7-04-09.  I am not the one who is off topic.

Divine Illus Magisterial addresses the topic that Bap. Williamson touched on. You may dismiss Bap. Williamson...but not Pope Pius XI teaching.

And as Lisa pointed out earlier in this thread, Divine Illus Magisterial speaks only of modesty  and education--not women who play competitive sports.  Thus it is not per tinant to that discussion.

These are PRINCIPLES.

"Divini Illius Magistri" Wrote:These principles, with due regard to time and place, must, in accordance with Christian prudence, be applied to all schools, particularly in the most delicate and decisive period of formation, that, namely, of adolescence; and in gymnastic exercises and deportment, special care must be had of Christian modesty in young women and girls, which is so gravely impaired by any kind of exhibition in public.

The are the PRINCIPLES laid down by Pope Pius XI. The public exhibition (how can this not be related to professional sports?) gravely impairs Christian modesty. This can be seen quite easily today.

Sport as recreation is very important. Nobody is saying all sporting events are intrinsically evil.

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - didishroom - 07-06-2009

Quote:In an aside, did anyone else notice that Scipio, Erin, Belloc, Didishroom, and I are on the same side? It has to be the beginning of the End Times!
:laughing:

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - columba - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 03:39 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: As for Bp Williamson I can’t honestly comment on his bias without it getting tangled up in my own biases. I said I don’t like athletics. Male or female. In fact, I think our culture has been more damaged by MEN who sit before the pagan god of the television set -  idolizing sports over Sunday Mass, quality time with their wives and families.

Yes, certainly. It is men who direct the culture intentionally promoting the masculination of women. It is men who implemented feminism to help divide and conquer Christian society by a phony battle of the sexes. Bishop Williamson is simply fulfilling grave duty to warn his flock against the attack by such wolves, not indulging in any bias of his for the sake of bashing women.

Sophisticated propaganda has programmed our minds with character stereotypes. Let us not be fooled into casting the good bishop as playing the role of a media-programmed stereotype.

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - libby - 07-06-2009

+ one for both of you.

oops - meaning orate and Lisa.

:)

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - CollegeCatholic - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 05:14 PM)columba Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 03:39 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: As for Bp Williamson I can’t honestly comment on his bias without it getting tangled up in my own biases. I said I don’t like athletics. Male or female. In fact, I think our culture has been more damaged by MEN who sit before the pagan god of the television set -  idolizing sports over Sunday Mass, quality time with their wives and families.

Yes, certainly. It is men who direct the culture intentionally promoting the masculination of women. It is men who implemented feminism to help divide and conquer Christian society by a phony battle of the sexes. Bishop Williamson is simply fulfilling grave duty to warn his flock against the attack by such wolves, not indulging in any bias of his for the sake of bashing women.

Sophisticated propaganda has programmed our minds with character stereotypes. Let us not be fooled into casting the good bishop as playing the role of a media-programmed stereotype.

Betcha they were Freemasons, too.

(07-06-2009, 03:22 PM)Anastasia Wrote: No, his points have already been refuted by a number of posters.
To summarize:
Sport is not responsible for the masculinization of women because a), it does not impair childbearing but in fact can assist it, and that b) it exists in a societies with very feminine women. This could not be true if it denatured women. You may note that all the married women and mothers who responded can hardly be accused of being against children, yet we have all supported women's sports.

Sigh... Posters have repeatedly tried to derail this thread into a discussion on the benefits of physical exercise. That was not at issue in Bishop Williamson's article.

Will you admit the masculination of women? Will you admit the rise of women's professional sport is an example of said masculination? Will you admit the masculination is one cause of the birth dirth.

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - Underdog - 07-06-2009

no.

(07-06-2009, 05:37 PM)Underdog Wrote: no.

After 11 pages, Bishop Williamson remains unrefuted. Will you admit the corresponding feminization of men?

(07-06-2009, 05:22 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 05:14 PM)columba Wrote:

Betcha they were Freemasons, too.

It is funny how such a powerful good-old-boy network that excludes women would escape criticism by feminists while traditional Catholic culture, having done so much to uplift women, would attract such negative attention. It could only have been a group of women-hating men that would inflict the degradation of feminism upon society.

Re: Bp W column, 7.4.09 - lamentabili sane - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 01:05 PM)Anastasia Wrote: It is not an error merely because you claim it is.
Of course not. It is an error because it is an error.

"Anastasia" Wrote:In what way is it illogical to demand that when you argue that the impropriety in womens' athletics is a matter of degree, you must define the nature of the impropriety and at what point is exists?

The fact that it is a moral question means that it is a matter of degree. That means that a precise point cannot be made. That is what is mean by a matter of degrees. The proper principles must be applied...that's what the moral theologians do.

"Anastasia" Wrote:The document you quoted, I note, does not state women are not to be involved in sports, only that care must be taken to protect their modesty when they are.
Of course it doesn't and nobody was claiming it does. It does give the principles however, that govern this type of sports activity.

"Divini Illius Magistri" Wrote:These principles, with due regard to time and place, must, in accordance with Christian prudence, be applied to all schools, particularly in the most delicate and decisive period of formation, that, namely, of adolescence; and in gymnastic exercises and deportment, special care must be had of Christian modesty in young women and girls, which is so gravely impaired by any kind of exhibition in public.