FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week (/showthread.php?tid=29463)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - nsper7 - 07-22-2009

(07-22-2009, 10:32 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(07-22-2009, 09:01 PM)nsper7 Wrote: and the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement (again, I do not know how Traditional they are).

I don't know, either. Liturgically speaking, the picture I saw of Mass on their website looks pretty standard NO. I have a big interest in the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement, though, since my parish, aptly named Our Lady of the Atonement, certainly drew a large amount of inspiration from Father Paul of Graymoor and his conversion from Anglicanism to Catholicism. In fact, Father Paul's portrait hangs in our narthex.

Well, as one who attends the OF/NO Mass, I have absolutely no problems with being a Priest who celebrates only the OF Mass (in other words, was never trained to celebrate the EF/TLM Mass) as long as the rubrics are followed and the Mass is performed properly. It irritates me when Priests, who should know better, play around and "innovate" the Mass.

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - SoCalLocal - 07-22-2009

(07-22-2009, 11:15 PM)nsper7 Wrote: Well, as one who attends the OF/NO Mass, I have absolutely no problems with being a Priest who celebrates only the OF Mass (in other words, was never trained to celebrate the EF/TLM Mass) as long as the rubrics are followed and the Mass is performed properly. It irritates me when Priests, who should know better, play around and "innovate" the Mass.
Hear, hear!

There wouldn't be nearly the internal friction in the church if priests would just stick to the script!

Like it or not, the rubrics and the lectionary are a script. If someone bills a particular play, people expect it to be done a certain way. I still recall going to see A Midsummer's Night Dream with my junior high English class. Except no one had told the teacher it was a modern adaptation. Puck was a highway flagman, complete with safety vest and cones. I don't recall much else. Some old lady sitting next to us kept telling us that it was awful, and we shouldn't judge Shakespeare because of it. Well, I did. And it was over 30 years before I went to another Shakespeare play. What a difference sticking with the script as-written, and the right costuming and sets!

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - nsper7 - 07-23-2009

(07-22-2009, 11:59 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:
(07-22-2009, 11:15 PM)nsper7 Wrote: Well, as one who attends the OF/NO Mass, I have absolutely no problems with being a Priest who celebrates only the OF Mass (in other words, was never trained to celebrate the EF/TLM Mass) as long as the rubrics are followed and the Mass is performed properly. It irritates me when Priests, who should know better, play around and "innovate" the Mass.
Hear, hear!

There wouldn't be nearly the internal friction in the church if priests would just stick to the script!

Like it or not, the rubrics and the lectionary are a script. If someone bills a particular play, people expect it to be done a certain way. I still recall going to see A Midsummer's Night Dream with my junior high English class. Except no one had told the teacher it was a modern adaptation. Puck was a highway flagman, complete with safety vest and cones. I don't recall much else. Some old lady sitting next to us kept telling us that it was awful, and we shouldn't judge Shakespeare because of it. Well, I did. And it was over 30 years before I went to another Shakespeare play. What a difference sticking with the script as-written, and the right costuming and sets!

Exactly. It's like on one of the early "Family Guy" episodes where Lois is chosen to direct a local production of "The King and I" and, in order to keep him out of trouble, she makes Peter the producer and he proceeds to utterly redo the show into "Peter Griffin presents 'The King and I'" complete with taking place in the year 3000 or something.

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - The_Harlequin_King - 07-23-2009

(07-22-2009, 11:59 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: Like it or not, the rubrics and the lectionary are a script. If someone bills a particular play, people expect it to be done a certain way. I still recall going to see A Midsummer's Night Dream with my junior high English class. Except no one had told the teacher it was a modern adaptation. Puck was a highway flagman, complete with safety vest and cones. I don't recall much else. Some old lady sitting next to us kept telling us that it was awful, and we shouldn't judge Shakespeare because of it. Well, I did. And it was over 30 years before I went to another Shakespeare play. What a difference sticking with the script as-written, and the right costuming and sets!

Actually, I like Shakespearean plays transposed onto alternate settings. I don't suppose you've seen Kenneth Branagh's production of Hamlet, which retains the entire original script but with costuming and sets from the late Victorian/early Edwardian period at Blenheim Castle. It's glorious.

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - calicatholic - 07-23-2009

(07-23-2009, 12:32 AM)nsper7 Wrote: Exactly. It's like on one of the early "Family Guy" episodes where Lois is chosen to direct a local production of "The King and I" and, in order to keep him out of trouble, she makes Peter the producer and he proceeds to utterly redo the show into "Peter Griffin presents 'The King and I'" complete with taking place in the year 3000 or something.

You should never watch "Family Guy", as it poisons your mind, except for this clip, which is hi-larious -

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - BrevisVir55 - 07-23-2009

/

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - Gizmo - 08-05-2009

It is sacrilege. Do not go there.

Re: Experienced Liturgical Abuse This Past Week - AntoniusMaximus - 08-06-2009

(07-22-2009, 09:01 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-22-2009, 08:58 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I'd say you can cross the Priests of the Sacred Heart off your list of possible vocation choices.  Just sayin.

Yes, I already did that.

Currently, the groups I am thinking of are ICKSP, the Canons-Regular of St. John Cantius, the Xaverian Missionaries (I do not know how Traditional or lack thereof they are) and the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement (again, I do not know how Traditional they are).

Have you looked at the Franciscans of the Immaculate?  They are pretty traditional.