FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How Would You Act as Pope? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How Would You Act as Pope? (/showthread.php?tid=29574)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

How Would You Act as Pope? - nsper7 - 07-27-2009

This question arises from a discussion on Catholic Answers. Like, if you were Pope, how would you behave? For me, I think I would be very low-key and casual about it. For example, I would probably do away with the all white garb and, instead, simply wear a black cassock or simar with white piping and a white sash around the waist so I'd look like any other Bishop except for the color of the piping and sash (white instead of purple).

Also, I wouldn't want people kissing my Ring. I'd shake hands, hug people, even kiss people on the cheek and such. I really wouldn't want people falling all over themselves for me. Just thought it would be interesting to hear how others would act if they were Pope.

Re: How Would You Act as Pope? - veritatem_dilexisti - 07-27-2009

I would go a step further, and wear an A&F t-shirt with tight jeans and sneakers, and go around high-fiving people. I'd keep the bling, though.

Or perhaps I would simply preserve the garb and protocol proper to the successor of St Peter, so that both others and I would be mindful of the dignity of the Petrine office and would act accordingly. :hmmm:

Re: How Would You Act as Pope? - nsper7 - 07-27-2009

(07-27-2009, 07:07 AM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote: I would go a step further, and wear an A&F t-shirt with tight jeans and sneakers, and go around high-fiving people. I'd keep the bling, though.

Or perhaps I would simply preserve the garb and protocol proper to the successor of St Peter, so that both others and I would be mindful of the dignity of the Petrine office and would act accordingly. :hmmm:

I didn't say I'd walk around being a slob or disrespectful. Like I said, I would probably wear a black simar/cassock and white sash for my Daily Dress. Thus, I would look like very similar to Bishops and Cardinals, although set apart by the use of white, thus promoting the idea that, although the Pope is first among the Bishops, he is still a Bishop. And what would be wrong with not wanting people to kiss your Ring? Like I said, I'd much prefer people hug me or something than the old Ring kissing.

This is not to say I'd be weak-willed. I'd be perfectly capable of chewing out people, especially Church leaders, who are advocating positions contrary to the Church. You want to advocate a Pro-Choice position, I'll excommunicate faster than you'd know. If someone wants to promote some junk theology, I'll revoke their teaching and publishing privileges very quickly. I would move to strictly enforce the rubrics of the OF and EF Masses. I would not tolerate people trying to "innovate" liturgy or Church doctrine. I would investigate various religious orders that seem to be going down the liberal garbage tube and would not hesitate to shut down problematic groups and force liberal Priest and Bishops to return to the fold. I would be blunt with the liberals who want to turn our Church into some liberal wacky-land: you can either accept Catholic doctrine in full or you can leave, but I will not tolerate attempts to liberalize the Catholic Church against our doctrine. And I'd be just as blunt with SSPX: either accept the Church, Vatican 2 and all, or you're in schism.

Don't confuse be nice, loving and humble with being weak. I would be quite capable of telling people where they can go if they wish to cause problems in the Church.

Re: How Would You Act as Pope? - Melita - 07-27-2009

[Image: PopePiusV.jpg]

He's one of my very favourites. Regarding how 'I would act'.... I don't feel myself at all capable of being pope (for obvious reasons) and even if I were, it's an awesome responsability beyond stuff like back slapping vs. ring kissing...

I don't know. I could see it interesting being Pope. One thing I would definitely anyone who has an audience with me is if they would mind praying/Blessing me as I will Bless them. Basically, even if it is a lay Catholic visiting me, I would ask them if they wouldn't mind praying over me. I would definitely make sure to delegate authority as necessary (I am not really a power hungry person in the end).

One of my major goals would be reunification with the Eastern Orthodox and the more "traditional" Anglicans. If that meant re-examining some of the more troublesome parts of Papal authority, I would do so if it meant true reunification. For instance, I would be willing to try and reduce the concept of Papal Supremacy and more return to the idea of Papal Primacy (first among equals) and that is one reason I would wear a traditional black cassock/simar with white sash. Like I said, I think Orthodox-Catholic reunification is key.

But that reunification is predicated on Orthodox submission to the Pontiff isn't it? And all through the Consecration to the Immaculate Heart.

(07-27-2009, 07:54 AM)Melita Wrote: But that reunification is predicated on Orthodox submission to the Pontiff isn't it? And all through the Consecration to the Immaculate Heart.

Well, obviously, I would do my utmost best to fulfill the Virgin Mary's request/demand that Russia be Consecrated to her Immaculate Heart.

In terms of submission, I would probably a Council (perhaps holding it in Greece or another "safe" [non-Muslim controlled] Orthodox-held area as a sign of respect to the Orthodox) to basically discuss:

A) How much authority/honor/dignity I can relinquish as Pope without entering into a theologically dangerous area
B) How much authority/honor/dignity the Eastern Orthodox would be willing to accord the Papacy

Basically, I would have experts on Papal authority to keep me from weakening the Papacy to much. Could I somehow soften Papal Infallibility and Papal Supremacy to appease the Orthodox and could I convince the Eastern Orthodox to accord more authority and dignity to the Pope than they had.

The more "traditional" Anglicans would be a little trickier, but I'd agree to make the Anglican Use liturgy and full Rite on par with the Latin Rite and all the Eastern Rites. Also, I'd possibly promise a Patriarch of All England in there too.

But what's the point of rewarding disobedience and obstinate denial of the Truth? I know that it's important that Christianity is reunited, but doesn't that imply the ultimate dissolution of corrupt teachings, like Anglicanism and Orthodoxy?

Re: How Would You Act as Pope? - Lagrange - 07-27-2009

(07-27-2009, 08:03 AM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-27-2009, 07:54 AM)Melita Wrote: But that reunification is predicated on Orthodox submission to the Pontiff isn't it? And all through the Consecration to the Immaculate Heart.

Well, obviously, I would do my utmost best to fulfill the Virgin Mary's request/demand that Russia be Consecrated to her Immaculate Heart.

In terms of submission, I would probably a Council (perhaps holding it in Greece or another "safe" [non-Muslim controlled] Orthodox-held area as a sign of respect to the Orthodox) to basically discuss:

A) How much authority/honor/dignity I can relinquish as Pope without entering into a theologically dangerous area
B) How much authority/honor/dignity the Eastern Orthodox would be willing to accord the Papacy

Basically, I would have experts on Papal authority to keep me from weakening the Papacy to much. Could I somehow soften Papal Infallibility and Papal Supremacy to appease the Orthodox and could I convince the Eastern Orthodox to accord more authority and dignity to the Pope than they had.

The more "traditional" Anglicans would be a little trickier, but I'd agree to make the Anglican Use liturgy and full Rite on par with the Latin Rite and all the Eastern Rites. Also, I'd possibly promise a Patriarch of All England in there too.

Papal Infallibility is objective reality. There's no ''softening'' it without denying it. As it is defined, that is essentially what the truth is - any mitigation involves an essential deviation from the Faith. The unity of faith is fundamental to Church unity; to overlook this is contrary to how the Church regards herself. The Orthodox essentially have to renounce their schism, and accept,  all dogmas defined by the Church of Christ.

Of course, you could ''soften'' it with respect to its application, or how often it is invoked, in an effort not to be too 'imposing' on the eastern churches. Same thing with how the Pope exercises his authority. (Though already, the Popes have been very sensitive in not being 'authoritarian' over the eastern churches, allowing their independent governance, their own code of canon law, explicitly forbidding latinisation etc). But this is a prudential consideration, the dogmas concerning papal prerogatives must essentially be accepted.

Unfortunately, I don't think a 'synthesis' can be achieved with the Orthodox. By that I mean, the theological differences are real, not simply apparent in terms of different theological emphasis. That means, whilst 'clarifications' may be possible to an extent, there comes a point where they simply have to renounce their errors adhere to Catholic doctrine.

Re: How Would You Act as Pope? - veritatem_dilexisti - 07-27-2009

(07-27-2009, 07:50 AM)nsper7 Wrote: I don't know. I could see it interesting being Pope. One thing I would definitely anyone who has an audience with me is if they would mind praying/Blessing me as I will Bless them. Basically, even if it is a lay Catholic visiting me, I would ask them if they wouldn't mind praying over me. I would definitely make sure to delegate authority as necessary (I am not really a power hungry person in the end).

??? I would not feel comfortable giving a blessing to an alter Christus such as my parish priest, let alone the Pope.

(07-27-2009, 07:50 AM)nsper7 Wrote: One of my major goals would be reunification with the Eastern Orthodox and the more "traditional" Anglicans. If that meant re-examining some of the more troublesome parts of Papal authority, I would do so if it meant true reunification. For instance, I would be willing to try and reduce the concept of Papal Supremacy and more return to the idea of Papal Primacy (first among equals) and that is one reason I would wear a traditional black cassock/simar with white sash. Like I said, I think Orthodox-Catholic reunification is key.

Have you seen how "Orthodox" bishops dress? You would appear to be their subordinate.

(07-27-2009, 08:03 AM)nsper7 Wrote: In terms of submission, I would probably a Council (perhaps holding it in Greece or another "safe" [non-Muslim controlled] Orthodox-held area as a sign of respect to the Orthodox) to basically discuss:

We should not dilute doctrine in order to reach out to non-Catholics. If one professes to be a member of the Church, one ought to adhere to Her teachings in their entirety, including the dogmatic declarations of Her Councils and Popes — whether one be Western or Eastern (this has become a problem since Vatican II with Eastern Catholics, as can be seen, eg, on the CA forum).