FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Define "Neo-Con" - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Define "Neo-Con" (/showthread.php?tid=29601)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Define "Neo-Con" - OCLittleFlower - 07-27-2009

I know that basically everyone here hates them.  But what I wonder is...what do you consider to be a neo-con?  I had always thought it was a political term, refering to the young people who rallied around Ronald Reagan, when usually the young vote goes to the dems.  However, some people use it to describe Bush.  Or McCain.  Or any number of other polititians, saying that they are taitors to the ideals of the Reagan republicans, and are "neo-cons."

Here, however, it seems to describe a certain type of Catholic.  One who is serious, but in a Novus Ordo kind of way.  Maybe slightly bordering on Charasmatic, even, though usually in a more mature fashion.  Kind of your St. Anthony's Messenger type Catholic.

Anyways, what does it mean to you all?  Esp those of you who use it often.

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - DarkKnight - 07-27-2009

A Catholic on this form contrary to the one a given poster holds. A virtually meaningless, knee-jerk epithet, paralleling racist, misogynist, etc. in the culture at large.

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - Tim - 07-27-2009

The Dark Knight has it right. It is used as towel snap at the posterior and it stings. It is as meaningless as he suggests. I think we need our own party and not some prot run quasi-pseudo-orthodox semi-libertarian silliness.
tim

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - SCG - 07-27-2009

Yep...a neo-con is anyone who disagrees with meeeee  :laughing:

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - DarkKnight - 07-27-2009

(07-27-2009, 07:25 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Yep...a neo-con is anyone who disagrees with meeeee   :laughing:

Nope, I've been called Neo-Con and I don't think that we've never disagreed, so clearly your definition does not hold!

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - Marc - 07-28-2009

(07-27-2009, 05:10 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Here, however, it seems to describe a certain type of Catholic.  One who is serious, but in a Novus Ordo kind of way.  Maybe slightly bordering on Charasmatic, even, though usually in a more mature fashion.  Kind of your St. Anthony's Messenger type Catholic.

Removed at the request of author, with apologies to Mr. Armstrong

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - Marc - 07-28-2009

By the way, are you guys familiar with Neo-Traditionalism? It's the new word coined by our friend StevusMagnus specifically to bash Fish Eaters along with anybody else who objects to making his revalorization of 1950s culture, and the opinions of Bishop Williamson on women's fashion, binding on all Traditionalists. We're "a Trojan Horse in the Traditional movement," "a 5th column looking to destroy it [traditionalism] from within." No joke.

Link removed by moderator

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - James02 - 07-28-2009

A neo-Con is an economic conservative ( low taxes)  who is also very much into globalization, and an expansionist military policy.  They tend to favor big government and like things like Japan's MITI.  You would expect to find them hanging out at the CFR.  Tend to be Jewish.  The opposite of  a Neo Con is someone like Pat Buchanan or possibly Ron Paul.  You can spot them pretty quickly as they love to use the word "geo-politics".

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - matthew_talbot - 07-28-2009

A Neocon is anyone Alaric disagrees with... ;D

Re: Define "Neo-Con" - Scipio_a - 07-28-2009

(07-28-2009, 04:18 AM)Marc Wrote: By the way, are you guys familiar with Neo-Traditionalism? It's the new word coined by our friend StevusMagnus specifically to bash Fish Eaters along with anybody else who objects to making his revalorization of 1950s culture, and the opinions of Bishop Williamson on women's fashion, binding on all Traditionalists. We're "a Trojan Horse in the Traditional movement," "a 5th column looking to destroy it [traditionalism] from within." No joke.

http://church-in-crisis.com/?p=33

Hey, thanks, Stevus was great and is missed.  He is misunderstood by several here...I do not see an attack on FE...some posters may feel a cringe at their neck from a spitball but that's 'cause they do the things he lists.

Funny, a lot of his detractors are what I call pseudo trads because they are willing to NO from time to time or even regularly (there are 2 exception on this board...you know who you are)...Stevus NOs also, so they should see a friend, not an enemy.  I guess to pseudos having the veil off is more important.