FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Laying On Hands - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Laying On Hands (/showthread.php?tid=30199)

Pages: 1 2

Laying On Hands - JonW - 08-17-2009

This isn't Catholic, is it?  My father was recently recovering from surgery to remove a malignant tumor in his colon.  His Episcopalean Anglican "priest" asked us to "lay on hands" as we prayed for and with him.  I wasn't sure what to do, so I just held my Dad's hand while we prayed.  Where does this come from, and is it right?  Seems fishy to me.

Re: Laying On Hands - JacafamalaRedux - 08-17-2009

It's in the Gospels and in the book of Acts. I once had a very holy priest (NO) lay his hands on me for a blessing during a difficult pregnancy.

2 Mark 6
5 And he could not do any miracles there, only that he cured a few that were sick, laying his hands upon them.

3 Mark 8
23 And taking the blind man by the hand, he led him out of the town; and spitting upon his eyes, laying his hands on him, he asked him if he saw any thing.

4 Mark 10
16 And embracing them, and laying his hands upon them, he blessed them.

5 Luke 4
40 And when the sun was down, all they that had any sick with divers diseases, brought them to him. But he laying his hands on every one of them, healed them.

6 Acts Of Apostles 9
17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house. And laying his hands upon him, he said: Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus hath sent me, he that appeared to thee in the way as thou camest; that thou mayest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Re: Laying On Hands - Resurrexi - 08-17-2009

(08-17-2009, 04:06 AM)JonW Wrote: This isn't Catholic, is it? 

Laying on hands in indeed Catholic. It is the matter of the Sacrament of Order (cf. Pope Pius XII, Sacramentum Ordinis, 4).

Re: Laying On Hands - JonW - 08-17-2009

OK, I see your points and appreciate them, but wouldn't the person laying on hands have to be a validly ordained Catholic priest?

Re: Laying On Hands - Lagrange - 08-17-2009

I tend to associate laying on of hands (apart from Holy Orders or priestly blessings etc) as being charismatic.

Re: Laying On Hands - glgas - 08-17-2009

(08-17-2009, 06:40 AM)Lagrange Wrote: I tend to associate laying on of hands (apart from Holy Orders or priestly blessings etc) as being charismatic.

Yes it is.

I myself do not like the idea of the charismatic Church, which says that we are full of grace and we had to share this fullness with others.  My idea is, that we are full with deficiencies, so we shall be primarily penitent: recipient instead of radiant

The Church Fathers beginning of the 2nd century refuted the charismatic idea, telling that this was necessary for the young, rapidly growing Church, but as the Church stabilized became obsoleted. This was definitely true, until the Christians were solid majority at least in the Western world.

We had to meditate on the fact that things changed. We Christians and especially we Catholics faithful to the tradition became insignificant minority, the past glory is over. Do we believe that we represent the truth, and so we have more grace, abundant grace related to others. And if so, should we not share that grace with others? Among ourselves and toward the outsiders?

I do not know the answer, where is the balance today?

laszlo

Re: Laying On Hands - Antonius - 08-18-2009

It is probably a liturgical holdover from when the English church was still actually a "church."  ;)

It really probably has no effect other than what the gracious Lord might use of it, as Anglicans and Episcopalians lack valid succession. Still I think it is only respectful to do as you did, especially if your dad isn't Catholic.

Re: Laying On Hands - 51olds - 08-18-2009

I recently had a similar experience at a wedding (yes NO). The priest asked everyone in the pews to raise their right hand towards the couple as he prayed for them outloud. Everyone held out their hand like in the Nazi salute kinda way. I don't know why or what it does.

Re: Laying On Hands - Credo - 08-18-2009

JonW Wrote:OK, I see your points and appreciate them, but wouldn't the person laying on hands have to be a validly ordained Catholic priest?

I think it would fall under the general priesthood every Christian receives upon his Baptism.

Re: Laying On Hands - AntoniusMaximus - 08-18-2009

(08-18-2009, 04:34 PM)51olds Wrote: I recently had a similar experience at a wedding (yes NO). The priest asked everyone in the pews to raise their right hand towards the couple as he prayed for them outloud. Everyone held out their hand like in the Nazi salute kinda way. I don't know why or what it does.

I have seen this done in some NO Churches mostly during Eastertime and Pentecost, I think it is one of those fake active participation thing, granted it does have a biblical basis and theological importance, but I prefer just to stay in my pew and pray the way I am used to like I do when in a NO Mass during the Our Father, I don't hold hands, though it is funny one time it was kind of pack (usually it is a quarter empty), so I was actually close to people (I tend to sit in the back so I know where the priest or deacon are for communion as I will not have a "Eucharistic Minister" administer it to me.  And to the left of me was this woman in her sixities or so, and she actually went behind my back to hold hands with the person to the right of me, which makes me scratch my head that it is that important to hold hands. 

but yea, most of this laying on hands comes from the charismatic elements that have inflitrated into the Church or as I like to call them Montanist.