FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? (/showthread.php?tid=30850)

Pages: 1 2 3

Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - cathkath - 09-14-2009

Precious daughter is newly pregnant (six weeks)--first grandbaby. She is tiny, has thyroid issues, and has never had the flu. Neither have I, for that matter. I don't trust our beloved government and their health proclamations any farther than I can throw their sorry bottoms. The new guidelines suggest that because she is pregnant she ought to be first in line for the new flu vaccine. What to do? My late father was an MD. He died in 1988. He always told me that flu shots were worthless for most people. I've never taken one, and I don't get the flu. But it is no longer 1988. Is his advice still valid?

My daughter and her husband have asked me what I think. I'm a school teacher, and I don't think I'll get the vaccine. Neither will my husband, but he doesn't work around children, so it's less of an issue for him, presumably. I don't want my daughter to end up with Guillian-Barre syndrome--or something worse. Nor, obviously, do I want the baby to be born with any medical problems. What do y'all think? Any informed opinions?

Thanks for your enlightened insights!  :)

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - Historian - 09-14-2009

Informed? Not me. I'm not a doctor However, I would think that any unnecessary and new medical treatment should be avoided when bearing a child.

Would she get a flu shot normally? All the people I know who have had the H1N1 strain recovered faster than they did of the common flu.

Has her doctor been asked?

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - SCG - 09-14-2009

I would get several professional opinions.

Prayers for your daughter..and congratulations!

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - cathkath - 09-14-2009

(09-14-2009, 06:54 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Informed? Not me. I'm not a doctor However, I would think that any unnecessary and new medical treatment should be avoided when bearing a child.

Would she get a flu shot normally? All the people I know who have had the H1N1 strain recovered faster than they did of the common flu.

Has her doctor been asked?

She has her first appointment next week. I am going to ask my brother-in-law (family physician) when I go in for blood work. I wouldn't be surprised if he said, "Don't bother."

I am leaning toward what you say, Rosarium. I agree that any unnecessary treatment should be avoided.

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - cathkath - 09-14-2009

(09-14-2009, 06:55 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I would get several professional opinions.

Prayers for your daughter..and congratulations!

Thank you so much! I couldn't be happier!

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - spasiisochrani - 09-14-2009

fox8.com /news/wjw-oh-swine-flu-death-txt,0,834841.story

WJW
Pregnant Ohio Woman Dies of Swine Flu
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Health officials in Ohio say a 20-year-old pregnant woman has died of swine flu.

The woman's baby was delivered prior to her death Thursday at a Columbus hospital, and officials say the baby is doing well. No other details about the woman were released.

Ohio Health Department spokesman Kristopher Weiss says pregnant women who get any type of flu are at risk for serious complications.

A vaccine to protect against swine flu is expected to be available this fall. Thursday's death is the third swine flu death in Ohio. Two others were reported in June -- a man who died in Butler County and a woman who died in Cuyahoga County.

Through Aug. 27, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 556 swine flu deaths in the U.S. and 8,800 hospitalizations.

Copyright © 2009, WJW-TV

(09-14-2009, 07:11 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: fox8.com /news/wjw-oh-swine-flu-death-txt,0,834841.story

WJW
Pregnant Ohio Woman Dies of Swine Flu
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Health officials in Ohio say a 20-year-old pregnant woman has died of swine flu.

The woman's baby was delivered prior to her death Thursday at a Columbus hospital, and officials say the baby is doing well. No other details about the woman were released.

Ohio Health Department spokesman Kristopher Weiss says pregnant women who get any type of flu are at risk for serious complications.

A vaccine to protect against swine flu is expected to be available this fall. Thursday's death is the third swine flu death in Ohio. Two others were reported in June -- a man who died in Butler County and a woman who died in Cuyahoga County.

Through Aug. 27, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 556 swine flu deaths in the U.S. and 8,800 hospitalizations.

Copyright © 2009, WJW-TV 

And the point?

Also, these statistics aren't as bad as general flu statistics.

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - spasiisochrani - 09-14-2009

(09-14-2009, 07:17 PM)Rosarium Wrote:   And the point?

Also, these statistics aren't as bad as general flu statistics.

The point is that that pregnant women are at risk of serious complications from the flu.  How many of them are killed by the flu vaccine? 

(09-14-2009, 07:26 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: The point is that that pregnant women are at risk of serious complications from the flu.  How many of them are killed by the flu vaccine? 

How many have taken the vaccine?

As far as I can tell, thousands die in the USA from the flu every year.

H1N1 is serious, as all flues are, but I think injecting oneself with a new and potentially unnecessary vaccine is a serious medical consideration to be answered by competent medical authorities. It isn't a magic cure.

Re: Daughter Pregnant - Should she get H1N1 shot? - ResiduumRevertetur - 09-15-2009

Good advice, verenaerin. I really have no idea what's best for pregnant women, but from personal experience I will always get a flu shot. I didn't before and then one year I found out I was pregnant in February. Soon my oldest came home with a particularly nasty flu, my other two sons quickly came down with it, and I got it, too. It was horrible. Fevers of 105, pneumonia, absolutely awful. Then I started spotting. Then I started bleeding heavily. The doctor said that flu is hard on fetuses and pregnant women (he might have been full of youknowwhat, I don't know) and to go home and rest, the pregnancy had terminated. Luckily, the bleeding stopped, at least for a while, and the pregnancy continued. We had another scare a few weeks later, but the baby held on and now her middle name is Faith. I don't know how safe flu vaccinations are for pregnant women, but I would research it before saying no.