FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Pumpkin recipes - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Pumpkin recipes (/showthread.php?tid=31275)

Pages: 1 2

Pumpkin recipes - amasimp - 10-05-2009

I'm looking for recipes that use pumpkin squash.  Pies, breads, cakes, savory recipes, anything.  I want to use the fresh pumpkins that are in season, not the canned stuff.

Thanks.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - Avalonik - 10-05-2009

Gut the pumpkin.  Slice it like a cantaloupe and get rid of the rind.  Put the pieces on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and sprigs of rosemary. 
Bake at 450 til tender.
Classic northern Italian...

Re: Pumpkin recipes - Veni Creator - 10-13-2009

My mom's pumpkin pie recipe is real easy.

Preheat oven to 350*

~ 2 c. Cooked mashed pumpkin
1 c. sugar
~ 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
~ 1/2 tbs cinnamon
2 eggs beaten
1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)

Pie crust of your choice.

Mix it all up purty good, pour in the pie crust, pop in a 350* oven for 'bout an hour, or until the pie is set in the middle.  Let cool for about another hour.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - Historian - 10-14-2009

Martha Stewart says serve pumpkin soup inside of a pumpkin.  She's usually right about these things.

Ingredients

* 6 cups stock
    * 2-3 cups pared pumpkin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 1 cup thinly sliced onion
    * 1 clove garlic, minced
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    * 5 peppercorns
    * 1 medium sugar pumpkin
    * 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

In a covered saucepan, heat the stock, cubed pumpkin, onion, garlic, salt, thyme, and peppercorns to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

Remove 1/2 cup of the pumpkin with a slotted spoon; reserve.

Simmer remaining pumpkin mixture, uncovered, 20 minutes longer; transfer to a large bowl.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Cut the top off the sugar pumpkin and remove the seeds.

Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes; set aside in a warm spot.

Puree 2 cups of the pumpkin mixture in a blender or food processor; return pureed mixture to the pot.

Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture.

Heat pureed mixture to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Stir warm cream and reserved pumpkin into soup.

Place the warmed sugar pumpkin on a platter; ladle the soup in and garnish with parsley.

Serve hot.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - Satori - 10-14-2009

Don't forget to toast and eat the delicious seeds. The ones from the convenience store are stale and too salty.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - libby - 10-14-2009

(10-14-2009, 08:36 AM)Magnificat Wrote: Martha Stewart says serve pumpkin soup inside of a pumpkin.  She's usually right about these things.

:laughing: :laughing:

I've made this before, and it's really good... but make sure that the pumpkin is really firm or it won't hold the soup.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - serviam - 11-16-2009

(10-14-2009, 08:52 AM)Satori Wrote: Don't forget to toast and eat the delicious seeds. The ones from the convenience store are stale and too salty.
Every year when we carve pumpkins, we season and roast the seeds. Soooo good.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - Texican - 11-17-2009

I need to dig up my recipe for pumpkin cheesecake.  Wow...  it's been about 2 years since I last made that.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - serviam - 11-17-2009

(11-17-2009, 02:32 AM)Texican Wrote: I need to dig up my recipe for pumpkin cheesecake.  Wow...  it's been about 2 years since I last made that.
That sounds really good.

Re: Pumpkin recipes - introibo - 11-18-2009

You can add cooked pumpkin to muffins, pancakes, cupcakes.  Just decrease some of the liquid.

A good way to cook a whole pumpkin for use is to split it down the middle, DON'T remove the seeds and guts.  Place the two halves face down on a cookie sheet.  Add a little water, and bake for an hour (or less, depending on size of pumpkin) at 350.

To get pumpkin smooth enough to use in recipes, including for pies, I swirl the desired amount with whatever eggs are required for the recipe in a food processor.

Christina