FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese (/showthread.php?tid=31443)

Pages: 1 2 3

Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - Valz - 10-14-2009

Controversy Erupts as Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese

A public controversy has erupted between two bishops of the Catholic Church in the United States, with one of the youngest bishops in the country publicly taking on one of his own colleagues in an effort to defend the Church's teachings on homosexuality and other issues.

Marquette Bishop Alexander K. Sample, 49-years-old and one of the youngest US Catholic bishops, recently banned Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, 79, a retired auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Detroit and notorious promoter of homosexuality, contraception, and homosexual and women's ordination, from entering and speaking in his diocese, citing his pastoral duty to defend the "faith and morals" of the Catholic Church. The controversial bishop was set to address the group Marquette Citizens for Peace and Justice.

"As the Bishop of the Diocese of Marquette, I am the chief shepherd and teacher of the Catholic faithful of the Upper Peninsula entrusted to my pastoral care," said Bishop Sample in a public statement. "As such I am charged with the grave responsibility to keep clearly before my people the teachings of the Catholic Church on matters of faith and morals."

"Given Bishop Gumbleton's very public position on certain important matters of Catholic teaching, specifically with regard to homosexuality and the ordination of women to the priesthood, it was my judgment that his presence in Marquette would not be helpful to me in fulfilling my responsibility."

Read more

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - glgas - 10-14-2009

(10-14-2009, 05:05 PM)Valz Wrote: Read more

The Marquette bishop is completelly within his rights, he is responsible in hid diocese

As the Bishop of the Diocese of Marquette, I am the chief shepherd and teacher of the Catholic faithful of the Upper Peninsula entrusted to my pastoral care.  As such I am charged with the grave responsibility to keep clearly before my people the teachings of the Catholic Church on matters of faith and morals.  Given Bishop Gumbleton’s very public position on certain important matters of Catholic teaching, specifically with regard to homosexuality and the ordination of women to the priesthood, it was my judgment that his presence in Marquette would not be helpful to me in fulfilling my responsibility. 
http://www.dioceseofmarquette.org/upcarticle.asp?upcID=2123

There is hope.

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - damooster - 10-14-2009

Kind of off topic, but I have to show you guys something.

I'm a new Catholic, having converted this year. I never heard of New Ways Ministry until I read this article, so I Googled it to check out their website. On the right hand side of the home screen, there's a link that lists 200 gay friendly parishes in the USA. If you look at Virginia, the first parish listed was my RCIA parish. And gay friendly is an understatement; the LGBT group is the largest group in the parish by far.

:mad:

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - DesperatelySeeking - 10-14-2009

How sad it is, that it's noteworthy when a Bishop stands up for Church teaching.

EDIT: this appears to be the Bishop's e-mail, buried in the diocesan directory on their site: jjason@dioceseofmarquette.org

Go ahead and give him an "attaboy" !

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - BrevisVir55 - 10-14-2009

Thank God, a Bishop with balls! Finally!

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - Stephanos - 10-14-2009

Quote:Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, 79, a retired auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Detroit and notorious promoter of homosexuality, contraception, and homosexual and women's ordination

What the heck! How is this guy a bishop? He's apparently not even Catholic!

Good for His Excellency Bishop Sample.

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - mike6240 - 10-14-2009

(10-14-2009, 06:41 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: Thank God, a Bishop with balls! Finally!

My sentiments exactly. 

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - Baskerville - 10-14-2009

Good for the Bishop notice he's young. We just have to wait the Vatican II generation out guys and things will start to improve(no offense to Vatican II generation trads). Wasn't Gumby also involved in pedophile cover ups too?

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - SLCFranciscan - 10-14-2009

(10-14-2009, 06:41 PM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: Thank God, a Bishop with balls! Finally!

I wonder if he would be willing to help our bishop here in the Diocese of Salt Lake City?  The Judge Memorial Catholic (?) High School is going to put on RENT in a week.  I think that we do not need to serve as pro-gay propagandists, which is exactly how the director is presenting things.  Where is our bishop?  He is absolutely silent on the matter.  Where is our superintendent of schools?  Silent as well. I wrote to them both nearly a month ago and neither can deign to answer those of us who are concerned about this.  I do hope that they are not nearly so cavalier when the Papal Nuncio, whom I contacted, comes around asking for explanation....... :pray2:

Re: Catholic Bishop Asks Pro-Gay Bishop Not to Enter His Diocese - OldMan - 10-14-2009

Hurray! Someone with a spine and not afraid to show it. Refreshing!

Now for a deep dark secret: The deviant Gumbleton baptized me a loooong time ago – when he was a newly ordained priest. As a kid I was quite proud to tell classmates that I was baptized by someone who was now c. 1967 a bishop. Now I do it just to humiliate myself!