FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown (/showthread.php?tid=31703)

Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - DarkKnight - 10-28-2009

I know how much y'all miss English Lit, so in light of the Adoration of the Obamanation, I thought I'd submit this to your consideration:
Quote:Modern Day Martyr
By Fr LW Gonzales On October 27th, 2009
Martyr who refused to remove crucifixes from hospital to be honored Oct. 29

CNA STAFF, Oct 25, 2009 / 03:47 pm (CNA).- On Thursday, Catholics will celebrate the feast day of Helen Kafka, better known as Blessed Maria Restituta.  Working as a nurse in the 1940s, she was ordered by the Gestapo to remove crucifixes she had placed in several hospital rooms and was sentenced to death.  Pope John Paul II beatified her on June 21, 1998.

Helen Kafka was born in 1894 to a shoemaker and grew up in Vienna, Austria.  At the age of 20, she decided to join the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity and took the name Restituta after an early Church martyr.

In 1919, she began working as a surgical nurse in Austria.  When the Germans took over the country, she became a local opponent of the Nazi regime.  Her conflict with them escalated after they ordered her to remove all the crucifixes she had hung up in each room of a new hospital wing.

Sister Maria Restitua refused and she was arrested by the Gestapo in 1942.  She was sentenced to death for “aiding and abetting the enemy in the betrayal of the fatherland and for plotting high treason.”

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - Bonifacius - 10-28-2009

A Catholic saint martyred by the Nazis?!  Watch out, you may offend some people in the fishtank by pointing out that the Nazis persecuted the Church.

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - SaintSebastian - 10-28-2009

What a great saint for our time! Thanks for posting this!

:)

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - veritatem_dilexisti - 10-28-2009

(10-28-2009, 06:29 PM)Bonifacius Wrote: A Catholic saint martyred by the Nazis?!  Watch out, you may offend some people in the fishtank by pointing out that the Nazis persecuted the Church.

Let us not exaggerate; there is only one member here who is inclined to such a persuasion as that which you allude to.

Thank you for the article, DarkKnight!

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - jovan66102 - 10-28-2009

(10-28-2009, 06:29 PM)Bonifacius Wrote: A Catholic saint martyred by the Nazis?!  Watch out, you may offend some people in the fishtank by pointing out that the Nazis persecuted the Church.

St Maximillian Mary Kolbe, St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross and Blessed Titus Brandsma also come to mind! :)

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - CatholicThurifer - 10-28-2009

Blessed Rupert Mayer was persecuted as well; however he was not a martyr.

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - Bonifacius - 10-29-2009

Blessed Cardinal von Galen of Muenster (where my German Catholic ancestors came from). 

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - DarkKnight - 10-29-2009

Oh, I was thinking about Georgetown covering any symbol of the Faith to televise the appearance of The One and all of the American professors who protested when they found Crucifixes in Catholic buildings.

Re: Compare and Contrast: Blessed Maria Restituta with Notre Dame and Georgetown - Bonifacius - 10-29-2009

(10-29-2009, 11:40 AM)DarkKnight Wrote: Oh, I was thinking about Georgetown covering any symbol of the Faith to televise the appearance of The One and all of the American professors who protested when they found Crucifixes in Catholic buildings.

Right, I got that.