FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian (/showthread.php?tid=31741)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - AlanF - 10-30-2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6467253/Vatican-condemns-Halloween-as-anti-Christian.html

Quote:Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian
The Vatican has condemned Hallowe'en as anti-Christian, saying it is based on a sinister and dangerous "undercurrent of occultism".

By Nick Squires in Rome
Published: 1:10PM GMT 30 Oct 2009

The Roman Catholic Church has become alarmed in recent years by the spread of Hallowe'en traditions from the US to other countries around the world Photo: PA The Holy See has warned that parents should not allow their children to dress up as ghosts and ghouls on Saturday, calling Hallowe'en a pagan celebration of "terror, fear and death".

The Roman Catholic Church has become alarmed in recent years by the spread of Hallowe'en traditions from the US to other countries around the world.

As in Britain, it is only in recent years that Italian children have dressed up in costumes, played trick or treat on their neighbours and made lanterns out of hollowed out pumpkins.

The Vatican issued the warning through its official newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, in an article headlined "Hallowe'en's Dangerous Messages".

The paper quoted a liturgical expert, Joan Maria Canals, who said: "Hallowe'en has an undercurrent of occultism and is absolutely anti-Christian."

Parents should "be aware of this and try to direct the meaning of the feast towards wholesomeness and beauty rather than terror, fear and death," said Father Canals, a member of a Spanish commission on church rites.

Last year a newspaper controlled by the Italian bishops, Avvenire, called for a boycott of Hallowe'en, calling it a "dangerous celebration of horror and the macabre" which could encourage "pitiless [Satanic] sects without scruples".

Earlier this week the Catholic Church in Spain also condemned the growing popularity of Halloween, saying it threatened to overshadow the Christian festival of All Saints' Day.

The Bishop of Siguenza-Guadalajara, Jose Sanchez, said there was a risk that Halloween could "replace Christian customs like devotion to saints and praying for the dead."

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - Anastasia - 10-30-2009

L'Osservatore Romano speaks for the Vatican now? Puts their support for Obama in a whole new light..............
And who exactly is the "liturgical expert" Joan Maria Canals?

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - DarkKnight - 10-30-2009

"Undercurrent of occultism" that is understatement to the highest levels. That's like saying the Chicago fire was an unfortunate bit of leaf burning.

The society not only has forgotten to "pray for the dead" they're freakin' playing with/like their dead.

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - TradCathYouth - 10-30-2009

This spread is so true. I saw today on The Filipino Channel that they've imported US-style Halloween customs, and even made costumes more hideous than anything Americans can think of.

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - The_Harlequin_King - 10-30-2009

How does L'Osservatore Romano equal "the Vatican"?

Though I definitely agree with the last section of the article, which suggests that Halloween is pretty much entirely divorced from the All Saints tradition now and is basically now part of a secular holiday trinity (Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Grim Reaper).

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - Tulkas - 10-30-2009

About time!   :boxers:

Reminds me, I got to disconnect the doorbell tonight.

(10-30-2009, 02:40 PM)TradCathYouth Wrote: This spread is so true. I saw today on The Filipino Channel that they've imported US-style Halloween customs, and even made costumes more hideous than anything Americans can think of.
That is truly frightening, I'm just reflecting on the cult following that somewhat wholesome Spam has achieved. I can hardly imagine what could be achieved with Hallowe'en

(10-30-2009, 02:43 PM)Tulkas Wrote: About time!   :boxers:

But they should of emphasized All Saints so that people know what to properly celebrate.

Reminds me, I got to disconnect the doorbell tonight.
Don't forget the motion sensors on the sprinklers, too! Spraying Holy Water, of course. Gotta get in the Spirit.

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - Tulkas - 10-30-2009

(10-30-2009, 02:36 PM)DarkKnight Wrote: That's like saying the Chicago fire was an unfortunate bit of leaf burning.

Hay burning or cow tipping, you mean.

Re: Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian - AlanF - 10-30-2009

(10-30-2009, 02:42 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: How does L'Osservatore Romano equal "the Vatican"?

That's a problem all the secular press seems to have, whether it's L'Osservatore Romano or a press release from Fr. Lombardi or an Apostolic Constitution from the Pope, it's all just "The Vatican" to them.