FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The Harry Potter Debate - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Harry Potter Debate (/showthread.php?tid=31824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

The Harry Potter Debate - fantasy_forever - 11-03-2009

alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again! So, is it anti-Catholic? What do you think?  :safe:

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - jovan66102 - 11-03-2009

I think you need to find another hobby than starting useless threads in an attempt to provoke! :)

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - fantasy_forever - 11-03-2009

(11-03-2009, 03:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think you need to find another hobby than starting useless threads in an attempt to provoke! :)

I just want to know what you guys think. Sheesh. You would never listen to what I think, anyway.

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - WhollyRoaminCatholic - 11-03-2009

Harry Potter is not anti-Catholic.  It does, however, entertain the occult.  Catholics should not do that, as it offends the Lord.

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - spasiisochrani - 11-03-2009

(11-03-2009, 03:04 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again!

No. it's not.

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - Texican - 11-03-2009

(11-03-2009, 03:04 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again! So, is it anti-Catholic? What do you think?  :safe:

That was last month, but in the spirit of playing the game, sort of, what do you think about it?

Personally, I think you need a bigger chair.

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - Historian - 11-03-2009

(11-03-2009, 03:04 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote: alright. Its that Harry Potter debate time again! So, is it anti-Catholic? What do you think?  :safe:

"Again"? Where was the last? Why start it anew? What aspects not covered in the last do you wish to discuss here?

As for Harry Potter, I found the first few books poorly written and stupid. I was 11 at the time I think.

(11-03-2009, 03:37 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

"Again"? Where was the last? Why start it anew? What aspects not covered in the last do you wish to discuss here?

As for Harry Potter, I found the first few books poorly written and stupid. I was 11 at the time I think.

I dont think its anti-Catholic, but it was poorly written, yes.

Re: The Harry Potter Debate - Historian - 11-03-2009

(11-03-2009, 03:41 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote:

Define "anti-Catholic".

I think a story which glorifies disobedience (while not a real issue in itself, it combines with everything else), a boy who gets glory and power by chance and without effort (the writer invented the entire story so that this boy could have things happen to him...whatever happened to hard work and toil?), a headmaster of a school for wizards who is homosexual, and a story which ignores all philosophically important issues for fantasy could be considered to be "anti-Catholic" on some level.

The fact it is poorly written is the final nail. If we are reading trash, it should be well written. That is why it is evil; because it is a sign of decaying literature in the youth.

(11-03-2009, 03:54 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-03-2009, 03:41 PM)fantasy_forever Wrote:

Define "anti-Catholic".

I think a story which glorifies disobedience (while not a real issue in itself, it combines with everything else), a boy who gets glory and power by chance and without effort (the writer invented the entire story so that this boy could have things happen to him...whatever happened to hard work and toil?), a headmaster of a school for wizards who is homosexual, and a story which ignores all philosophically important issues for fantasy could be considered to be "anti-Catholic" on some level.

The fact it is poorly written is the final nail. If we are reading trash, it should be well written. That is why it is evil; because it is a sign of decaying literature in the youth.

Harry Potter books are the McDonald's of literature.  ;)