FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Blessed Sacrament question - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Blessed Sacrament question (/showthread.php?tid=31858)

Pages: 1 2

Blessed Sacrament question - Petertherock - 11-05-2009

I have always wondered if it is licit for a lay person to have the Blessed Sacrament in the home for adoration. Obviously it would be difficult because if it is licit you would have to have some type of tabernacle (which I have priced about $500 for the cheapest one I could find) and you would have to have a sanctuary lamp to burn at all times. But would this be licit for a lay person to do something like that?

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - rbjmartin - 11-05-2009

(11-05-2009, 06:16 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I have always wondered if it is licit for a lay person to have the Blessed Sacrament in the home for adoration. Obviously it would be difficult because if it is licit you would have to have some type of tabernacle (which I have priced about $500 for the cheapest one I could find) and you would have to have a sanctuary lamp to burn at all times. But would this be licit for a lay person to do something like that?

I believe it is licit so long as it is sanctioned by the local ordinary (and of course due consideration given to proper housing/environment).

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - RalphKramden - 11-05-2009

I believe that in order to have reserve the sacrament in a tabernacle the permission of the local ordinary is required  ???
I don't think it'd be a good idea. Seems like a lot of responsibility.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - information - 11-05-2009

I heard that Gaetano Gagliano has a private chapel kept so.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - SCG - 11-05-2009

How can we complain about tabernacles being removed from the altars in churches when private adoration in the home is accomplishing the same end? Maybe we shouldn't complain.. but I'm not largely in favor of it. To me it takes the sacred and exposes it to the profane. Yes, there were nobles and kings who kept the Blessed Sacrament in their private chapels. But they were rich enough to build their own chapels (with permission from the local Ordinary) where Mass was also said. Also, there were times during persecution when laymen kept the Blessed Sacrament in their homes, but it was for distributing to the sick and those in prisons and sometimes for personal consumption. Even those today who take Holy Communion to the sick must have a pyx (the standard pyx holds 3 to 8 Hosts), and they are supposed to go immediately to the homes of the sick. Any Hosts that are leftover are to be returned immediately to the sacristy.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia, regarding reservation of the Blessed Sacrament outside of the sanctuary:
Quote: But it was clearly also permitted to Christians, especially in the time of persecution, to keep the Blessed Sacrament in their own possession that they might receive it privately (see, e.g., St. Basil, Ep. cclxxxix, "Ad Cæsar", and St. Jerome, Ep. i, "Ad Pammach.", n. 15). This usage lasted on for many centuries, especially under certain exceptional circumstances, for example, in the case of hermits. An answer given by the Bishop of Corinth to Luke the Younger, an anchoret in Achaia in the tenth century, explains in detail how Communion should be received under such circumstances (Combefis, "Patr. Bib. Auctuar.", II, 45).

We also learn that Christians sought to carry the Blessed Sacrament about with them in times of grievous peril as a means of protection (St. Ambrose, "De Excessu Fratris", I, 43) or as a source of consolation. 

Here's the full article: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12784b.htm

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - jovan66102 - 11-05-2009

(11-05-2009, 06:16 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I have always wondered if it is licit for a lay person to have the Blessed Sacrament in the home for adoration. Obviously it would be difficult because if it is licit you would have to have some type of tabernacle (which I have priced about $500 for the cheapest one I could find) and you would have to have a sanctuary lamp to burn at all times. But would this be licit for a lay person to do something like that?

Absolutely not. The relevant Canons

Can. 934 ß1 The blessed Eucharist:

CIC, 1983 Wrote:Can. 934 ß1 The blessed Eucharist:

1ƒ must be reserved in the cathedral church or its equivalent, in every parish church, and in the church or oratory attached to the house of a religious institute or society of apostolic life

2ƒ may be reserved in a Bishop's chapel and, by permission of the local Ordinary, in other churches, oratories and chapels.

ß2 In sacred places where the blessed Eucharist is reserved there must always be someone who is responsible for it, and as far as possible a priest is to celebrate Mass there at least twice a month.

Can. 935 It is not lawful for anyone to keep the blessed Eucharist in personal custody or to carry it around, unless there is an urgent pastoral need and the prescriptions of the diocesan Bishop are observed.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - Resurrexi - 11-05-2009

According to canon 934, if one built a chapel attached to one's home, it would indeed be licit to reserve the most holy Sacrament in the tabernacle of said chapel with the permission of the bishop.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - jovan66102 - 11-05-2009

(11-05-2009, 09:27 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: According to canon 934, if one built a chapel attached to one's home, it would indeed be licit to reserve the most holy Sacrament in the tabernacle of said chapel with the permission of the bishop.

No, Just building a chapel doesn't make it a 'Chapel' under the law. Traditionally, only Heads of State were allowed private Chapels in which the Sacrament could be reserved, but that doesn't seem to have carried over into the new code.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - Walty - 11-05-2009

I am almost certain that a priest needs to be available and living around the tabernacle to care for the Blessed Sacrament.  If a priest is not there at all time then you need the ok of your bishop.  At the end of the day, you still need a priest to at least be available often.

Re: Blessed Sacrament question - RalphKramden - 11-05-2009

(11-05-2009, 09:27 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: According to canon 934, if one built a chapel attached to one's home, it would indeed be licit to reserve the most holy Sacrament in the tabernacle of said chapel with the permission of the bishop.
I believe that to built a private chapel you must have the permission of the pope, I'll see if I can find the reference in a few minutes.
This applies obviously to a chapel where mass would be said and the sacrament reserved, not just and area or room used for prayer.