FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. (/showthread.php?tid=31908)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - ggreg - 11-08-2009

I went to the SSPX today in Herne Bay, Kent.  A tiny little chapel with perhaps 25 people in attendance.  Usually you get whichever priest is on the rota for that week.  I was surprised to find Bishop Richard Williamson saying mass.  My six year old asked why the priest had a hat?  So I explained in a whisper.  Mass was in Black for the Holy Souls, which was an appropriate co-incidence given it was also Rememberence Sunday.  Good sermon, all about Purgatory, but with Bishop Williamson you expect that I guess.

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - AlanF - 11-08-2009

Great! I hope he comes to Woking one of these day.

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Scipio_a - 11-08-2009

That's awesome

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - CanadianCatholic - 11-08-2009

For real!?!? Thats pretty cool. Hes been here a few times, not in years though, since I can remember.

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Martinus - 11-08-2009

(11-08-2009, 12:47 PM)ggreg Wrote:    Mass was in Black for the Holy Souls, which was an appropriate co-incidence given it was also Rememberence Sunday. 

Actually, as an aside, I don't think it's a conincidence. I think, according to the trad calendar for England and Wales, one Requiem Mass is allowed for Remembrance Sunday.

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Fatherof2 - 11-08-2009

His excellency is welcome in Ireland anytime

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - BrevisVir55 - 11-08-2009

That is amazing!

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Credo - 11-08-2009

About two years I ago I plopped myself down to say None. When I stood-up and came around the building of the prioy, there was Bishop Williamson! It was pretty neat.

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - ggreg - 11-09-2009

He also talked about the girl mentioned at Fatima who died young and would, according to Our Lady, "be in Purgatory until the end of the world".  I guess this either means that purgatory lasts a very long time for many of us or that the end of the world is not very far away.  This is one blessing of living in the last times, I imagine, that your Purgatory will be shorterned.

I wonder how many people have prayed for that girl's soul for early release and how many haven't bothered thinking that she's stuck there until the end of the world anyhow (a done deal)

Anyway it was a good reminder about Purgatory and coming from a Bishop all the more powerful.  My little girl asked me about it all the way home.

Don't want to cause a fight, but did any Novus Ordinarians here get a sermon about Purgatory in the last week?

Re: Was surprised to find a Bishop saying mass today. - Stephanos - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 08:12 AM)ggreg Wrote: Don't want to cause a fight, but did any Novus Ordinarians here get a sermon about Purgatory in the last week?

Yes - I went to a reverent Novus Ordo with some Latin and a good choir singing parts of a requiem Mass on Monday (there were no TLMs on that day in the area as far as I know).  The sermon was a simple but solid catechesis on Purgatory.