FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Liver Recipes? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Liver Recipes? (/showthread.php?tid=32581)

Pages: 1 2

Liver Recipes? - Tinuviel - 12-09-2009

Any old school cooks with good liver recipes? Could go for some vitamin A and D, especially in the winter, and liver is a good source....the only problem is that it looks creepy.  Really.

Pork and chicken liver are cheap and widely available here. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Liver Recipes? - Texican - 12-10-2009

Some Spanish tapas recipes, using chicken livers.  For the first one, you could also use calf, pork, or even sheep's liver or kidneys, instead of the chicken livers.

Chicken livers with a sherry sauce.
(Higadillos al jerez)

( all measurements are SWAGs)
1 lb. fresh chicken livers - rinsed, trimmed and patted dry with paper towels.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 - 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 finely chopped small onion
2 - 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup dry Spanish sherry
1/4 tsp sweet paprika
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet.  While oil is heating, cut the livers into bite-size pieces.  Add onion to skillet, and cook at medium heat, until softened ( not browned), then add the garlic, and cook for about 1/2 minute longer.

Add livers to the skillet, and cook for 2 - 4 minutes, while constantly stirring, until they have changed color, and are firm to the touch on the outside - they should still be soft and pink on the inside.
Remove the livers from the skillet, and place them on to 6 warmed shallow bowls, or a large serving dish, and keep warm.

Add the sherry to the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high, de-glaze the pan, add the paprika, and let the sauce reduce slightly (about 3 - 4 minutes, total ).  Season to taste with salt and pepper, then pour the sauce over the livers, and sprinkle with the choppped parsley.  Serve with some slightly toasted, hearty bread.

Spicy chicken livers
(  Higadillos bravos )

1 lb. fresh chicken livers - rinsed, trimmed and patted dry with paper towels, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
6 - 8 tbsp olive oil ( depending on size of skillet )
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
enough toothpicks to skewer each piece of liver

Add dry ingredients to a large, shallow plate, and stir together, until well mixed.  Heat oil in heavy skillet, over high heat, while tossing livers in seasoned flour ( work in batches, for best results ), shake off excess flour, then place livers in skillet.  Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp on the outside, yet still moist and tender on the inside.  Remove with slotted spoon, and place on warmed serving dish, skewered with toothpicks.

If you're a garlic fan, this dish would go great with a thin alioli sauce.

Re: Liver Recipes? - Vetus Ordo - 12-10-2009

I love cow liver! Served with rice and chips.

Hmm, to die for...

Re: Liver Recipes? - epalinurus - 12-10-2009

Tex....those look great.  Thanks.

You're welcome - hope you like them.

Here's another recipe, for beef liver, that I finally found (again).  This variation came from recipezaar.com.

Moroccan Liver Slices
serves 4 -6

1 1/2-2 lbs calf liver, cut in 1x2 inch slices
     1/2 cup plain flour
     1 teaspoon cumin
     1 teaspoon paprika
     1-2 pinch salt
     2 tablespoons olive oil
     1 red onion, thinly sliced
     3 garlic cloves, minced
     1 bunch parsley, chopped

Mix the flour, paprika, cumin, and salt in a bowl. Add the liver pieces to the flour, mix and toss thoroughly.
   Heat the oil in a skillet then add the garlic & onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes then add in the liver slices.
   Fry the liver for a couple of minutes, depending on how well done you like liver cooked.
   Serve immediately topped with parsley.

This one is really good.  I had never tried it with the dill weed and lemon zest, but they're great additions.

Crisp Lemon Calf Liver Recipe #10759

serves 2

6 slices bacon
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
     2 teaspoons dried dill weed
     salt and pepper
     1/2 lb calf liver, cut into bite size bits
     3 tablespoons butter or margarine
     2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
     1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
     1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated

Cook bacon until crisp.
   Drain on paper towel.
   You may remove some of the bacon fat but leave a generous amount, do not clean skillet.
   Crumble bacon.
   Combine flour, dill, salt& pepper in a paper bag.
   Add liver and coat well, shake off any excess flour.
   Fry liver in the "bacon" skillet over high heat until crisp on outside but still moist inside (about 4-6 minutes).
   Remove liver but keep warm.
   Discard fat from skillet but do not scrape the pan.
   Over medium heat melt butter scraping in all the brown bits.
   Stir in lemon juice, parsley and crumbled bacon.
   Put liver back in the pan to ensure it is hot.
   Sprinkle with grated lemon and enjoy.

Interesting signature, Texican.

Where's it from?

(12-10-2009, 03:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Interesting signature, Texican.

Where's it from?

Lieutenant André  Louis Arthur Zirnheld,

Parachutiste de la France Libre,
mort au combat en Libye

Compagnon de la Libération - décret du 1er mai 1943
Croix de Guerre 39/45 avec 2 palmes
Military Cross (Great Britain)

This prayer was found on the body of Aspirant (Lieutenant) André Zirnheld, killed in action in Libya, in July 1942, during a raid behind enemy lines. A college philosophy professor before the war, Aspirant Zirnheld served in one of the very first companies of the famed British S.A.S.

Although Zirnheld never served in the Foreign Legion, his prayer has been adopted by all French Paratroopers, the Legion included.

:w2go:

Nice, very nice. I liked it very much.

I had no idea you spoke french, though. Do you have any family there or you just learned it in school?

No, I don't have family there, that I know of. 
My French days are from a long, long time ago, in a previous life.  I only learned what I needed, to get by - I hardly remember any of it anymore.  Some words are very similar to Catalan, so they tend to stick with me, but going for years without using it, I've effectively lost it.

Such is life.

(12-10-2009, 06:26 PM)Texican Wrote: Some words are very similar to Catalan, so they tend to stick with me

Vostè és català? Des de Barcelona? Mai no esperava trobar un espanyol per aquí! Vostè viu a Espanya o als Estats Units?