FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Patron St Question - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Patron St Question (/showthread.php?tid=32992)

Patron St Question - Baskerville - 12-28-2009

When I went through RCIA and was baptized etc. I never got a Patron Saints name so I have just kind of used the St Edmunds Edmund the Martyr and St Edmund Campion since my name is Edmund But I have a strong draw to St Thomas More. What I am wondering is does one go to a Priest and say that you want a particular Saint as your Patron or do you just pick a few and pray to them?

Re: Patron St Question - Cindy - 12-29-2009

(12-28-2009, 09:07 PM)Baskerville Wrote: When I went through RCIA and was baptized etc. I never got a Patron Saints name so I have just kind of used the St Edmunds Edmund the Martyr and St Edmund Campion since my name is Edmund But I have a strong draw to St Thomas More. What I am wondering is does one go to a Priest and say that you want a particular Saint as your Patron or do you just pick a few and pray to them?
If you already have a Saints name at baptism you don't chose another.
In your case Saint Edmund is your "namesake" Patron Saint.
Your other Patron Saint is the Saint whose Feast Day was on the day you were born.
At Confirmation you chose a Saint you are devoted to and take his name as your Patron Saint.
Therefore you should have 3 Patron Saints.
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I have been told.  :)

Re: Patron St Question - Baskerville - 12-29-2009

Thanks so much I have always wondered that.

Re: Patron St Question - ResiduumRevertetur - 12-29-2009

I say just pick one or a few if you want. I wouldn't worry that you didn't have one at Confirmation. Though I don't think that's the norm, it's not mandatory or anything, AFAIK.

I've accumulated a whole litany of saints for myself (name, confirmation, birthday: both trad and N.O. calendar, and others that I admire for one reason or another) and I bug the heck out of them. I think they're okay with that.

Re: Patron St Question - Baskerville - 12-29-2009

(12-29-2009, 01:30 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: I say just pick one or a few if you want. I wouldn't worry that you didn't have one at Confirmation. Though I don't think that's the norm, it's not mandatory or anything, AFAIK.

I've accumulated a whole litany of saints for myself (name, confirmation, birthday: both trad and N.O. calendar, and others that I admire for one reason or another) and I bug the heck out of them. I think they're okay with that.

Me too I bug them all the time.  :)

Re: Patron St Question - WhollyRoaminCatholic - 12-29-2009

There is no formal process to taking a patron.  You just kind of find one that fits you and build a devotion.

In the last couple of years, I've grown devoted to a number of patrons and patronesses who work for me pretty much full time.

Re: Patron St Question - BrevisVir55 - 12-29-2009

You know, come to think of it...I do not know one person who went through RCIA that was allowed to take a confirmation name...that's rather odd.

Re: Patron St Question - WhollyRoaminCatholic - 12-29-2009

(12-29-2009, 10:46 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: You know, come to think of it...I do not know one person who went through RCIA that was allowed to take a confirmation name...that's rather odd.

Depends on your diocese and parish.  My Novus Ordo spaceship parish has people pick confirmation saints.  You can tell a lot about a person by their patrons; I live in an old hillbilly part of town where there's a lot of Augustines and Magdelenes on the Easter Vigil.

Re: Patron St Question - JayneK - 12-29-2009

(12-29-2009, 10:46 AM)BrevisVir55 Wrote: You know, come to think of it...I do not know one person who went through RCIA that was allowed to take a confirmation name...that's rather odd.

I did RCIA about 30 years ago.  I did not realize it at the time but it was a notoriously liberal parish and I was very badly catechized.  We weren't taught anything about patron saints.  Later when I figured out that I should have one, I picked St. Jane Frances de Chantal  since I was already named Jayne.  At different times in my life I have had a special affinity for various saints and I think of that as being a sort of patron saint.

Re: Patron St Question - ResiduumRevertetur - 12-29-2009

(12-29-2009, 10:51 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:

Depends on your diocese and parish.  My Novus Ordo spaceship parish has people pick confirmation saints.  You can tell a lot about a person by their patrons; I live in an old hillbilly part of town where there's a lot of Augustines and Magdelenes on the Easter Vigil.
Since Mary Magdalene is my Confirmation saint, I thought and thought about what you could possibly mean.

And then it hit me...  :-[

Look, mister, back up the bus, I got something for ya :fish: