FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope (/showthread.php?tid=33218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - devotedknuckles - 01-07-2010

I disagree. When u r on ur own two feet on the ground u have avanues of escape and movem$nt cpontrol u will not get in a chair on peoples shoulders.
But I guess its just me.
Sip
If u think putting the pope in a chair and carrying hiom arpound on peoples shoulders is safer then ok. I wnt be able to convince u.
Sip

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - winoblue1 - 01-07-2010

The article was written by a security expert, so one should assume he knows his business.
The issue of gun fire is irrelevant because one can more easily be shot when standing unmoved at the altar or pulpit.
One wouldn't aim when on the sedia, moving targets are not preferred.
The point of this article is that the Holy Father can circumvent modernist complaints by bringing back the sedia under the guise of security.
I would like to see it returned mostly because of the dignity it displays and because it is a tradition that goes back to ancient Egypt, so one of the most venerable traditions the Church adopted from the ancient world, worth preserving for civilization to maintain a sense of continuity.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - devotedknuckles - 01-07-2010

Look. I agree bring it back. I don't care if this was written by a security expert I care abpit my gut and my gut tells me sitting in a chair on peoples shpoulders is less safe then bein on me two feet. Sip
Read into it what u want. Bring it back but not for the reaspn of supposed safety.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Historian - 01-08-2010

(01-07-2010, 10:31 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Look. I agree bring it back. I don't care if this was written by a security expert I care abpit my gut and my gut tells me sitting in a chair on peoples shpoulders is less safe then bein on me two feet. Sip
Read into it what u want. Bring it back but not for the reaspn of supposed safety.

but your gut may have been affected by your sipping.  the Vatican security people are surely not sipping while considering this.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Historian - 01-08-2010

(01-07-2010, 07:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Security concerns aside, I would like to see it brought back simply because it is more traditional.  (And I really don't want to have some smart a** point out what the popes in the 7th century did.  You know what I mean by "traditional.")  It wasn't dropped because of security concerns.  No, like the coronation, it was dropped because it was seen as too "triumphal."  Bah.  The pope stands at the High Altar and says Mass.  He's a pretty easy target up there too.   

amen.  he's a standing duck at the altar.

actually, i suggested this last week here in the tank, though not the sede gestatoria, as i figured that was probably too traditional for these times, just something like the throne on top of a movable contraption that the late JP II used in his last couple of years.  but i'd like the sede gestatoria better, of course.  and bring back the papal tiara, too.  it'll drive some bishops nuts but that's tough.  no, it's a benefit!

i said the vatican never likes to do anything to indicate a pope is ill but they should do something like this. before its first appearance they should also make a public statement that it's to ensure that the pontiff doesn't take any more tumbles on the hard marble floor and that no more cardinals must endure broken hips (or femurs, first it was said to be a femur, later a hip; neither is good at 87.)  

it was very fortunate that il Papa wasn't injured because once you're over 50, it's a lot easier to break bones when you fall, and they don't heal as well as they do in the young.  

the cardinal wouldn't have been near the pope if he'd been up in the air and the pontiff, as the POTWWW, is the main concern when it comes to vatican security, as POTUS is to secret service. [/quote]

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Texican - 01-11-2010

(01-07-2010, 10:20 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: The article was written by a security expert, so one should assume he knows his business.
The issue of gun fire is irrelevant because one can more easily be shot when standing unmoved at the altar or pulpit.
One wouldn't aim when on the sedia, moving targets are not preferred.
The point of this article is that the Holy Father can circumvent modernist complaints by bringing back the sedia under the guise of security.
I would like to see it returned mostly because of the dignity it displays and because it is a tradition that goes back to ancient Egypt, so one of the most venerable traditions the Church adopted from the ancient world, worth preserving for civilization to maintain a sense of continuity.

I'd be interested to know where you got this info...

Regardless, nothing will stop a determined attacker, but being knocked down from 5-ft in the air, sure presents its own problems. 

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Historian - 01-13-2010

(01-11-2010, 02:35 PM)Texican Wrote: Regardless, nothing will stop a determined attacker, but being knocked down from 5-ft in the air, sure presents its own problems. 

i think that, besides his guardian angel, Pope Benedict could count on the phalanx of men surrounding him on the sedia to break his fall, should he ever fall.  i assume that security helped break his fall on Christmas Eve on St. Peter's marble floor or he couldn't have gone on with the Mass as quickly as he did, if at all. there was only a brief pause in the procession.

as for an assailant with a gun or bomb, the article discussed using metal detectors and individual searches of everyone attending Mass when the pope is celebrating. 

whether he will allow this is another matter.  when he celebrated Mass on Epiphany, there were far fewer security guards walking alongside him and no clergy as close to him as usual.  the commentator said that His Holiness was showing that he would not be separated from the people.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - AlanF - 01-13-2010

No one'll be able to knock the Pope off the Sedia Gestatoria. There'd be a dozen men carrying it with dozens of guards at it's sides. No one's knocking that thing over!

The Pope'll be safe in the Sedia Gestatoria.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - devotedknuckles - 01-13-2010

Yes and the titanic was also unsinkable.
In short.
U should never tempt God
Sip

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Texican - 01-14-2010

(01-13-2010, 08:37 PM)AlanF Wrote: No one'll be able to knock the Pope off the Sedia Gestatoria. There'd be a dozen men carrying it with dozens of guards at it's sides. No one's knocking that thing over!

The Pope'll be safe in the Sedia Gestatoria.

I wouldn't be so sure. 

Eh, que se yo, anyway?