FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope (/showthread.php?tid=33218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - The_Harlequin_King - 01-14-2010

(01-07-2010, 07:11 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Security concerns aside, I would like to see it brought back simply because it is more traditional.  (And I really don't want to have some smart a** point out what the popes in the 7th century did.  You know what I mean by "traditional.")  

I don't mind the sedia. But that comment reminded me of a tangent that the eminent Catholic historian Regine Pernoud goes off on in her book, "The Crusaders". She said that in the Crusader era, the Popes traveled on horseback. She then went on to describe the balance that the medieval popes maintained between their roles as "close to the people" (as in those times, the popes frequently traveled outside of Rome and even Italy) and as super-warlords.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - winoblue1 - 01-14-2010

(01-11-2010, 02:35 PM)Texican Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 10:20 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: The article was written by a security expert, so one should assume he knows his business.
The issue of gun fire is irrelevant because one can more easily be shot when standing unmoved at the altar or pulpit.
One wouldn't aim when on the sedia, moving targets are not preferred.
The point of this article is that the Holy Father can circumvent modernist complaints by bringing back the sedia under the guise of security.
I would like to see it returned mostly because of the dignity it displays and because it is a tradition that goes back to ancient Egypt, so one of the most venerable traditions the Church adopted from the ancient world, worth preserving for civilization to maintain a sense of continuity.

I'd be interested to know where you got this info...

Regardless, nothing will stop a determined attacker, but being knocked down from 5-ft in the air, sure presents its own problems. 

I got this info from a police secuity officer He said that if someone is pointing a gun at you, even if within a few feet, it is surprisingly hard to shoot a moving target and kill them. Hence he said, no matter what, your chances of survival are greater to run, rather than  comply to the wishes of someone holding you at gun point.

Thus, I would think it is reasonable to assume that if someone wants to shoot the pope he would do so when he is stationary at the altar and not in a moving chair. Though if the person is crazy, we can't assume anything because they are irrational.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - winoblue1 - 01-14-2010

(01-14-2010, 12:52 AM)Texican Wrote:
(01-13-2010, 08:37 PM)AlanF Wrote: No one'll be able to knock the Pope off the Sedia Gestatoria. There'd be a dozen men carrying it with dozens of guards at it's sides. No one's knocking that thing over!

The Pope'll be safe in the Sedia Gestatoria.

I wouldn't be so sure. 

Eh, que se yo, anyway?

The Sedia is one of the oldest traditions that survived in the west up until modern times. I would assume that it has been effective, useful and safe, if it wasn't a safe and effective way it would have never lasted so long. That is the whole benefit of tradition, it has withstood time because it works!

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Texican - 01-14-2010

(01-14-2010, 01:44 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: I got this info from a police secuity officer He said that if someone is pointing a gun at you, even if within a few feet, it is surprisingly hard to shoot a moving target and kill them. Hence he said, no matter what, your chances of survival are greater to run, rather than  comply to the wishes of someone holding you at gun point.

Thus, I would think it is reasonable to assume that if someone wants to shoot the pope he would do so when he is stationary at the altar and not in a moving chair. Though if the person is crazy, we can't assume anything because they are irrational.

OK, that's partially true.  Movement + distance = greater probability of happy times, but you also need speed, and the element of surprise.  To hit a moving target, especially one moving at a steady pace (like on the sedia), all you need to do, is give them a little lead, then fire, and given enough time, you can even walk your rounds in.

What the officer was probably talking about, was dynamic movement.  Yes, if someone decides to shoot you, they may very well fixate on where they last saw you, and if you suddenly move off the X, they have to reset their OODA loop, or they may just shoot at where you were then.

Re: The sedia gestatoria would protect the Pope - Texican - 01-14-2010

(01-14-2010, 01:47 AM)winoblue1 Wrote: The Sedia is one of the oldest traditions that survived in the west up until modern times. I would assume that it has been effective, useful and safe, if it wasn't a safe and effective way it would have never lasted so long. That is the whole benefit of tradition, it has withstood time because it works!

Not necessarily.  Some things are only done for the sake of tradition - "because we've always done it this way."

It could just be that nobody had the audacity to attack the pope, and so the sedia seemed safe.