FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Bipolar - fact or fiction? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Bipolar - fact or fiction? (/showthread.php?tid=33253)

Pages: 1 2 3

Bipolar - fact or fiction? - Arun - 01-09-2010

After a readthru of symptoms, both manic phase and depressive phase, it appears that this entire "disorder" is merely an attempby atheistic rationality to explain the spiritual consolation/desolations referred to during Ignatian retreats.
Also, even if the "disorder" were a real illness, why on earth would anybody treat an internal chemical imbalance with more chemicals (such as lithium, or quetiapine)?
Surely homeostasis would be much easier  to achieve through a process of detoxification and monitored balances of nutritional input...?
any thoughts on this one?

Re: Bipolar - fact or fiction? - Historian - 01-09-2010

(01-09-2010, 12:44 AM)Arun Wrote: After a readthru of symptoms, both manic phase and depressive phase, it appears that this entire "disorder" is merely an attempby atheistic rationality to explain the spiritual consolation/desolations referred to during Ignatian retreats.
Also, even if the "disorder" were a real illness, why on earth would anybody treat an internal chemical imbalance with more chemicals (such as lithium, or quetiapine)?
Surely homeostasis would be much easier  to achieve through a process of detoxification and monitored balances of nutritional input...?

It is very, very real.

Its superficial symptoms are not like you think. You need to experience it (someone else with it, or with yourself, which I hope you don't have).

Bipolar disorder cannot be controlled by mental processes. It is completely out of the sufferer's control. While its individual symptoms are not unique to Bipolar, the disorder is quite definite.

The use of drugs to treat it is very common; the worst cases will get the strongest drugs. It is possible I hear to reduce its symptoms with other treatments (which seem to be just treating aggravating issues, rather than actually curing Bipolar) and I suppose other disorders could be mistaken for it.

Re: Bipolar - fact or fiction? - devotedknuckles - 01-09-2010

Its the real deal. I've never caught it but I have known people who have. Its very very debilitating. Mind boggling really. I saw it bring a proud succsesfull man to his ruin. He was unable to hold down his carrer he lost pretty well e vrything. When the cops finaly arrested him he caused so much damage he was put into the ward. Which is better then jail if u think sitting staring at the wall with a stupid grin on yourface due to the dope they inject u with better. Anyway the docs said it was stress induced he always was a bit off but in a weird way. Then he just cracked. Horrible really he just cracked
Lost huis cute girlfirend who took his cute pooch which I thought was very very low. That bitch should of left him the pooch. hell hath no fury then a women scorned.
Sip

Re: Bipolar - fact or fiction? - Arun - 01-09-2010

(01-09-2010, 10:37 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(01-09-2010, 12:44 AM)Arun Wrote: After a readthru of symptoms, both manic phase and depressive phase, it appears that this entire "disorder" is merely an attempby atheistic rationality to explain the spiritual consolation/desolations referred to during Ignatian retreats.

You need to experience it

I do.

(01-09-2010, 07:41 PM)Arun Wrote: I do.

Then how can you say it isn't real?

I'm not saying it isn't real i'm just trying to say perhaps pharmaceutical meds are not the answer. i have heard of people whose spouses learn and manipulate their triggers in order to preserve a degree of homeostasis without the need for drugs.
i don't want to ride this swing/shift anymore, but i refuse to subject myself to a state of doped up idiocy.

(01-09-2010, 07:51 PM)Arun Wrote: I'm not saying it isn't real i'm just trying to say perhaps pharmaceutical meds are not the answer. i have heard of people whose spouses learn and manipulate their triggers in order to preserve a degree of homeostasis without the need for drugs.
i don't want to ride this swing/shift anymore, but i refuse to subject myself to a state of doped up idiocy.

It is an abnormality which has many consequences. One can deal with it as they wish.

However, if it is Bipolar Disorder, then it is not something that can be wished away. Don't blame yourself for it or think you aren't strong enough.

Re: Bipolar - fact or fiction? - CanadianCatholic - 01-09-2010

FACT

My sister is Bi-polar, trust me, that stuff is real. And its no fun to live with.

Re: Bipolar - fact or fiction? - SCG - 01-09-2010

(01-09-2010, 07:51 PM)Arun Wrote: I'm not saying it isn't real i'm just trying to say perhaps pharmaceutical meds are not the answer. i have heard of people whose spouses learn and manipulate their triggers in order to preserve a degree of homeostasis without the need for drugs. i don't want to ride this swing/shift anymore, but i refuse to subject myself to a state of doped up idiocy.

The method of treatment depends on the severity of the illness. I have mild anxiety disorder or GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). It involves bouts of depression and bouts of euphoria. Mostly, I suffer chronic nervousness, a sense of dread, and fatigue. People with mild disorders can usually function within family, society, the workplace, and church. But it's a Cross.

While I could probably stand to use a mild tranquilizer, like you, I'd rather live with the illness than the side-effects of the "cure." I can lessen anxiety with various self-help techniques, such as exercising, breathing, lighting candles, taking long baths, listening to soothing music, petting my cats, reading, and prayer.

However, when an illness makes your life unmanageable, and self-remedies don't work, you may not have a choice but to seek medical treatment. Bipolar disorder is real and nothing to fool around with. Please see a doctor if you haven't already. Get properly diagnosed. Get several opinions if you have to.

- Lisa

I wouldn't mind takling meds if it weren't for the consequences. Quetiapine i stopped taking it because it just turns you into a doped up zombie, lithium i'm not keen on trying for similar reasons. Antidepressants are likely to either cause suicidal tendencies, or trigger manic episodes (so far i mainly have hypomanic episodes, which are far easier to deal with... well, none of its easy. let's say... less hard.)
Dried frog pills seem to work for the Bursar, but I don;t know where to get any of those from.
I had heard of managed diets and herbal supplements to help with balance as well.
Haven't discussed with my spiritual director yet, either. Probably should.