FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How was your ash wednesday? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How was your ash wednesday? (/showthread.php?tid=34100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - HotRod - 02-17-2010

I think that is overall a very uncharitable attitude by the priest and you.  I think the best thing a Priest can do when he gets that type of crowd, and the Easter/Christmas crowd, is to be glad  they are there, and entreat them to keep coming back, and maybe throwing in a statement about it being a mortal sin to miss Mass.  

I am going to Mass tonight at a parish I normally dont attend.  I hope people arent scoffing at me for being a cafeteria catholic.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Pilgrim - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 04:39 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I just went to the store to buy tons of food that I can't eat today..For lunch I decided to have the pasta salad, and halfway through I noticed it had pepperoni in it.  :-[
Aww man, I hate when that happens.  I tend to forget when stores offer free samples...

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - SCG - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 05:16 PM)HotRod Wrote: I think that is overall a very uncharitable attitude by the priest and you.  I think the best thing a Priest can do when he gets that type of crowd, and the Easter/Christmas crowd, is to be glad  they are there, and entreat them to keep coming back, and maybe throwing in a statement about it being a mortal sin to miss Mass.  

I agree.. The Church is a hospital for sinners. This season of Lent reminds us of that more than ever. Every year at Ash Wednesday or Christmas another lost sheep is found, another sinner repents and comes home. Have we forgotten the day we too decided to start practicing our religion more seriously? The return of the Prodigal is a cause for rejoicing.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Mommie2Boys - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 04:36 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I found a priest with the biggest, messiest thumb!!   ;D

LOL The priest we had last year seriously dabbed so many ashes in one spot that it fell over your eyes like black snow and got in your eyelashes. We had two priests passing them out this morning, one put soft little thumbprints on everyone and one drew the darkest more perfectly shaped crosses I have ever seen made of ashes. It's interesting to see how differently each priest distributes them!

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - WhollyRoaminCatholic - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 06:00 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 05:16 PM)HotRod Wrote: I think that is overall a very uncharitable attitude by the priest and you.  I think the best thing a Priest can do when he gets that type of crowd, and the Easter/Christmas crowd, is to be glad  they are there, and entreat them to keep coming back, and maybe throwing in a statement about it being a mortal sin to miss Mass.  

I agree.. The Church is a hospital for sinners. This season of Lent reminds us of that more than ever. Every year at Ash Wednesday or Christmas another lost sheep is found, another sinner repents and comes home. Have we forgotten the day we too decided to start practicing our religion more seriously? The return of the Prodigal is a cause for rejoicing.

Thirded.  The Lord calls people back for His reasons, not for Father's.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - analombell - 02-17-2010

Our SSPX priest isn't in the city today. So, we must wait until Sunday to take the ashes.
I made for lunch "Empanadas Argentinas" (Turnovers) filled with cheese, corn and mushrooms....mmmm delicious.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Mommie2Boys - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 07:05 PM)analombell Wrote: I made for lunch "Empanadas Argentinas" (Turnovers) filled with cheese, corn and mushrooms....mmmm delicious.

Oh my goodness that sounds soooo delicious! :D I love good empanadas! Do you deep fry them?

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - cathkath - 02-17-2010

I got up VERY early this morning, forgot it was Ash Wednesday--and ate my bacon.  :-[

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - cathkath - 02-17-2010

By the way, Mommie2Boys, my daughter is 27 weeks 3 days, awaiting our first grandchild!! I am so excited! I'm going to teach my grandson all about not forgetting to fast and abstain on Ash Wednesday!

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - analombell - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 07:38 PM)Mommie2Boys Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 07:05 PM)analombell Wrote: I made for lunch "Empanadas Argentinas" (Turnovers) filled with cheese, corn and mushrooms....mmmm delicious.

Oh my goodness that sounds soooo delicious! :D I love good empanadas! Do you deep fry them?

This time I made baking dough, excellent too.