FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How was your ash wednesday? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How was your ash wednesday? (/showthread.php?tid=34100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - SearchingCatholic - 02-17-2010

Went to the school mass with my kids.  Wish I could have gone to the TLM at 7 tonight, but it was the only time my husband could make mass, so I stayed home with the kids because they all went this morning.

I had been hoping that the SSPX would have a mass today, but the priest couldn't come today.  I guess the local SSPX chapel only gets the priest on Sunday. :(

I took my missal with me anyway and tried to pray as many of the prayers for Ash Wednesday as I could, but it was difficult because I have forgotten how much talking & responding there are at the NO.  I could barely concentrate!  Lay people were distributing the Ashes!  And I couldn't get in the priest's line for communion so I had no choice but to receive (on the tongue at least) standing from a lay person!  It really made me miss the TLM, but I really wanted to do Ash Wednesday.  I hope I can find a better situation next year or make the 7 pm Latin Mass.

I had to work at following fasting today.  I can't imagine how I will do it for all of Lent in the traditional manner!  It will definitely be a penance & mortification for me! 

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Baskerville - 02-17-2010

Terrible I went to Mass at the Liberal Church as it was the only one I could get to in time after work was done and the Priest gave a homily about how we should repent of our xenaphobia regarding illegal immigrants and he read the Cali Bishops "Green Lent" letter saying it was a great idea. I got up and left so no cimmunion or ashes for me. This is officially my last time I step foot in a conciliar church I'll stay at home and read through my missal when the SSPX or SSPV is unavailable. Damned New Church and their fruity Priests. :chainsaw:

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - SaintRafael - 02-17-2010

(02-17-2010, 09:35 PM)Baskerville Wrote: and the Priest gave a homily about how we should repent of our xenaphobia regarding illegal immigrants and he read the Cali Bishops "Green Lent" letter saying it was a great idea. I got up and left so no cimmunion or ashes for me.

Ashes are not mandatory. The fasting and abstinence is. Doing that is what counts and I wonder how many poor misguided souls who got their ashes were not told this by a priest.

It's good you got out of there because that might have been an invalid Mass. One thing I have learned, is that these liberal apostate priests do not have the true faith, and many of them do not believe in transubstantiation anymore. That means they no longer intend what the Church intends in the Mass, hence an invalid Mass. That is what has become scary about the Novus Ordo. It is hard to know if a Mass is valid if the priest is liberal and the very real possibility he might not believe in the real presence. 

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Joamy - 02-17-2010

Mine was good.  I'm suitably crabby from being hungry all day... and offering it up.    Mass was good -I got a nice smudgy cross.  :) :) :)  I went to a church closer to where I work.  They just finished building a new sanctuary - it's very nice.  Very old fashioned and lots of stained glass (no funky new modern type star trek type of architecture.)

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - cgraye - 02-18-2010

It was good.  Fasting, Mass and ashes in the evening and the start of a novena.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Satori - 02-18-2010

Unfortunately I had to leave Mass early, but not before going to much-needed confession and receiving ashes. I left the church joyous in spite of not being able to stay for communion.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - HotRod - 02-18-2010

I stayed up until midnight and ate a Turkey sandwhich at 12:01  ;D

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Mommie2Boys - 02-18-2010

(02-17-2010, 07:54 PM)cathkath Wrote: By the way, Mommie2Boys, my daughter is 27 weeks 3 days, awaiting our first grandchild!! I am so excited! I'm going to teach my grandson all about not forgetting to fast and abstain on Ash Wednesday!

Congratulations to her and to you! Our first son was the first grandchild for both sets of parents. It was so exciting! :D

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Satori - 02-18-2010

(02-18-2010, 10:38 AM)HotRod Wrote: I stayed up until midnight and ate a Turkey sandwhich at 12:01  ;D

I was tempted to stay up till midnight to have a bowl of chicken soup, but got too tired.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - HotRod - 02-18-2010

I came to bed at 12:45, and my wife asked what I was doing up so late, I said, playing Xbox and eating.  She laughed.  Ddint want my grumbling stomach to keep us awake  :laughing: