FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How was your ash wednesday? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How was your ash wednesday? (/showthread.php?tid=34100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Baskerville - 02-19-2010

(02-18-2010, 08:27 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote:
(02-17-2010, 09:35 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Terrible I went to Mass at the Liberal Church as it was the only one I could get to in time after work was done and the Priest gave a homily about how we should repent of our xenaphobia regarding illegal immigrants and he read the Cali Bishops "Green Lent" letter saying it was a great idea. I got up and left so no cimmunion or ashes for me. This is officially my last time I step foot in a conciliar church I'll stay at home and read through my missal when the SSPX or SSPV is unavailable. Damned New Church and their fruity Priests. :chainsaw:

Baskerville, I am totally with you.  We go to Latin NO Sundays, but all the holy day masses are pure modernist crap.  Got my ashes from a laywoman instead of the priest.  Never mind the fat, yodeling guitar player wearing some kind of evangelical "Holy Spirit" blue t-shirt.  I just love attending Mass and leaving seething with disgust.

And on a related subject....our parish offered 3 "ash services" during the day?  What IS that?  If it's not a Mass, it can't fulfill the obligation?  Why bother....just for the ashes?  Anyone else have this going on?
I hear ya. And yes one of the Parishes in town has an Ash service conducted by a pantsuit Nun.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Baskerville - 02-19-2010

(02-18-2010, 08:27 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: [quote='Baskerville' pid='523366' dateline='1266456921']
Terrible I went to Mass at the Liberal Church as it was the only one I could get to in time after work was done and the Priest gave a homily about how we should repent of our xenaphobia regarding illegal immigrants and he read the Cali Bishops "Green Lent" letter saying it was a great idea. I got up and left so no cimmunion or ashes for me. This is officially my last time I step foot in a conciliar church I'll stay at home and read through my missal when the SSPX or SSPV is unavailable. Damned New Church and their fruity Priests. :chainsaw:

Got my ashes from a laywoman instead of the priest. 

Did the Priest at least give out ashes? Where I went there were 3 stations set up to get ash and just as I was leaving they were starting to give out ash and I looked back and all three stations had lay women giving out the ash while the Priest sat in his big high chair.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - AlanF - 02-19-2010

(02-18-2010, 08:27 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: If it's not a Mass, it can't fulfill the obligation?

Ash Wednesday isn't a Holy Day of Obligation.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - DesperatelySeeking - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 08:28 AM)AlanF Wrote:
(02-18-2010, 08:27 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: If it's not a Mass, it can't fulfill the obligation?

Ash Wednesday isn't a Holy Day of Obligation.

It's not?  Really?

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - trident59 - 02-19-2010

Wife and I went to a Dominican Rite Missa Cantata. The choir/schola was magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It started, of course with the Blessing of the ashes and then distribution. Next Holy Mass in the Dominican Rite. It was well worth the hour and fifteen minute drive.

However, this weekend its "reality check", Nervous Oder time. But on the 28th its FSSP High Mass. March 7th it reality again and then back to FSSP for Laetare Sunday.
Its getting so I'll drive almost anywhere to avoid the NO.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - HotRod - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 08:28 AM)AlanF Wrote: Ash Wednesday isn't a Holy Day of Obligation.

True story...

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - DesperatelySeeking - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 08:15 PM)HotRod Wrote:
(02-19-2010, 08:28 AM)AlanF Wrote: Ash Wednesday isn't a Holy Day of Obligation.

True story...

I stand humbly corrected.

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - LoveJLove - 02-20-2010

Congratulations Canadaian Catholic to you and the little darlin and all your family! He is so beautiful. 
My youngest girl (24 months) was baptized on Easter Sunday. Take care of yourself!!!! May God bless all of you!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :love: :pray2:

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - Pilgrim - 02-20-2010

(02-18-2010, 09:14 PM)CanadianCatholic Wrote: My Ash Wednesday was lovely! My baby got baptized and I got my ashes, as did he, for his first time! Funny thing, this baby was baptized Ash Wednesday, my last one, my first son, was born Holy Thursday, and Baptized Easter Sunday! LOL
What a cutie!  :)

Re: How was your ash wednesday? - joe17 - 02-20-2010

I was able to serve for the blessing of the ashes and low Mass that followed.  I was also able to avail mysely of confession as well.  A beautiful start to Lent.  Now, to keep up the penance.

Joe