FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] (/showthread.php?tid=34150)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Petertherock - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 12:11 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(02-19-2010, 11:41 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Why? Because Benedict the XVI is a Modernist through and through. He believes in a one world ecumenical kumbaya Church. Sure he likes the NO to have smells and bells but he's still a modernist the synthesis of all heresies.

Modernism is a heresy. To accuse the Pope of heresy requires more than your judgement Do not violate Church law if you are a Catholic. If you are not a Catholic, what does it matter to you?

Here is what I would like to know...I would like the answer to a few questions...

What is the definition of modernism? I am talking a dumbed down definition that even I can understand without reading 33 pages.

How does this apply to Pope Benedict XVI?

How does this apply to Pope JPII? (are they both modernists? only one of them was a modernist? neither were modernists?)

If you don't believe either Pope is a modernist, then would you at least cede that one or both had modernist tendencies? Why or why not?

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - pbmsemwa - 02-19-2010

St. Vicent Ferrer visited a synagogues of Jews  and converted them all. Let's wait and see!  ???

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Atomagenesis - 02-19-2010

St. Boniface destroyed the tree that the pagans worshiped.

There are numerous saints who burned down synagogues and destroyed pagan temples, although this would get us arrested these days, we should still have the spirit of not entering any establishment that is not Catholic unless to condemn the practices done there or to destroy it because any "church" that is not Catholic is an offense to God.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Petertherock - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 02:46 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: St. Boniface destroyed the tree that the pagans worshiped.

There are numerous saints who burned down synagogues and destroyed pagan temples, although this would get us arrested these days, we should still have the spirit of not entering any establishment that is not Catholic unless to condemn the practices done there or to destroy it because any "church" that is not Catholic is an offense to God.

Someone's been burning down protty churches in Texas. Unfortunately it's probably Devil worshipers based on the suspects description.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - SaintRafael - 02-19-2010

Another grave scandal in the Papacy. Why must the Conciliar Popes continue to offend the First Commandment of God? Prayers and Masses of reparation should be said on behalf of the Pope.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Historian - 02-19-2010

For me, it isn't the visit so much as what he might say or do there.  Catholic could go to Lutheran services for non-participation in events such as funerals and stuff.  I don't think preaching to heretics violates that standard. If he kisses a Koran or takes Lutheran Communion, I'll flip out.  My guess is worst case he'll make some PC speech about Christian Unity which would confuse people about indifferentism.  Which is a crying shame, but not the end of the world.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - The_Harlequin_King - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 02:46 PM)Atomagenesis Wrote: St. Boniface destroyed the tree that the pagans worshiped.

In fairness, those cases are outnumbered by cases where leading churchmen simply "baptized" the old objects of worship into Christian use, especially during the conversion of northern Europe.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - SaintRafael - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 03:35 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I don't think preaching to heretics violates that standard. If he kisses a Koran or takes Lutheran Communion, I'll flip out. 

When was the last time a Pope preached to heretics outside the Church? I can't think of anything since the 50's.

Pope Benedict is not going to preach anything about conversion to the one true Church. He doesn't even believe they are heretics because Lutherans have "partial communion".

It is a scandal against the First Commandment to go into a false church, because he is not going there to preach conversion. No Pope before VII, in the history of the Church, has ever gone into a Lutheran worship building to stand side by side and give a co-speech.

Communions and rosaries of reparation are called for when it happens.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - cgraye - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 01:40 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: The problem is he'll be participating in a religious service.
Quote:Benedict XVI will visit a Lutheran church in Rome for a German-language service in which both he and a Lutheran pastor will give homilies.
He's going to be acting like the Church is on the same footing as the Lutheran sect.  That's exactly what that entails.  Equal speaking time for a little "pastor" and the Sovereign Pontiff.  What does that say?

It doesn't say anything about participating.  I want to wait and see what he says.  You can bet he won't tell them all to convert or burn in hell.  That wouldn't do any good anyway.  But I bet he won't say anything about the two religions being the same or of equal worth, either.

Re: Benedict XVI to Visit Lutheran Church in Rome [WHY!!!!???] - Historian - 02-19-2010

(02-19-2010, 03:46 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(02-19-2010, 03:35 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I don't think preaching to heretics violates that standard. If he kisses a Koran or takes Lutheran Communion, I'll flip out. 

When was the last time a Pope preached to heretics outside the Church? I can't think of anything since the 50's.

So now's a good time to start, right?

Quote:Pope Benedict is not going to preach anything about conversion to the one true Church. He doesn't even believe they are heretics because Lutherans have "partial communion".

You and I both know "partial communion" is like being "kinda pregnant" - it means nothing at the end of the day.  But that doesn't imply he doesn't believe the Lutheran faith is heretical.

Quote:It is a scandal against the First Commandment to go into a false church, because he is not going there to preach conversion. No Pope before VII, in the history of the Church, has ever gone into a Lutheran worship building to stand side by side and give a co-speech.

How do you know what he is going to preach?  I agree with you, based on the last 40 years it doesn't look good, but based on the last 40 years there should have been no motu, a pedo priest wouldn't have been laicized, the bishops in Ireland would still be shifting around predators, and the SSPX wouldn't be talking in Rome.

I'm cautiously optimistic which might seem naive, and fair enough.  But condemning everything before he opens his mouth seems like the other extreme to me.