FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
best onions for pasta sauce - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: best onions for pasta sauce (/showthread.php?tid=34509)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

best onions for pasta sauce - Christopher - 03-08-2010

I want to start making my own pasta sauce. Which are the proper onions to use?

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - DrBombay - 03-08-2010

I like chives.  Some people call them green onions but they're really chives.  :tiphat:

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Historian - 03-09-2010

The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Iuvenalis - 03-09-2010

We use purple onions ourselves.

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - matthew_talbot - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 01:48 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.

I agree with Our esteemed Assistant Moderator  :P..Vidalias are great for salads, onion rings, etc..But for sauce..the cheapest yellow you can find are the best..Vidalias are too mild...My suggestion would be to carmelize them in some olive oil before adding them to the sauce..

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Satori - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 02:56 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: We use purple onions ourselves.

I like purple onions raw in salads, but I never use them for cooking anymore. They turn a gross mold-blue color after a night in the fridge and look very unappetizing.

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Satori - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 10:27 AM)matthew_talbot Wrote:
(03-09-2010, 01:48 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: The cheap yellow kind.  Not vidalias, etc.

I agree with Our esteemed Assistant Moderator  :P..Vidalias are great for salads, onion rings, etc..But for sauce..the cheapest yellow you can find are the best..Vidalias are too mild...My suggestion would be to carmelize them in some olive oil before adding them to the sauce..

A sandwich made of raw vidalia onions is delicious. And I love vidalia onion relish and dressing. They deserve their own thread ...

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Historian - 03-09-2010

That vidalia onion relish with the mustard seed is wonderful.

For pasta sauce, it's the yellow onions.  You can use white, but why pay more?  What kind of sauce are you going to make? 

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Christopher - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 10:45 AM)Magnificat Wrote: That vidalia onion relish with the mustard seed is wonderful.

For pasta sauce, it's the yellow onions.  You can use white, but why pay more?  What kind of sauce are you going to make? 
Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

Re: best onions for pasta sauce - Texican - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 08:15 PM)Christopher Wrote: Puttanesca. how much capers should I put in?

However much tastes good to you.  Get some good anchovies, though--preferably salted.