FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Divine Mercy Sunday - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Divine Mercy Sunday (/showthread.php?tid=35102)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Divine Mercy Sunday - Petertherock - 03-29-2010

I know we still have Easter to come but I figured this would be a good reminder...

Have Mercy on Us…and on the Whole World

SUNDAY, APRIL 11TH – DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY. In a decree dated August 3, 2002, the Apostolic Penitentiary announced that in order “to ensure that the faithful would observe this day (Divine Mercy Sunday) with intense devotion, the Supreme Pontiff himself established that this Sunday be enriched by a plenary indulgence…so that the faithful might receive in great abundance the gift of the consolation of the Holy Spirit.”

The plenary indulgence is granted (under the usual conditions of a sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and a prayer for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on Divine Mercy Sunday, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, recite the Our Father and the Creed, and also adding a devout prayer (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!).

To fittingly observe the Feast of Mercy, we should:

1.    Celebrate the Feast on the Sunday after Easter;

2.    Sincerely repent of all our sins;

3.    Place our complete trust in Jesus;

4.    Go to Confession, preferably before that Sunday;

5.    Receive Holy Communion on the day of the Feast;

6.    Venerate the Image of The Divine Mercy;

7.    Be merciful to others, through our actions, words, and prayers on their behalf.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - mike6240 - 03-29-2010

(03-29-2010, 06:15 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I know we still have Easter to come but I figured this would be a good reminder...

Have Mercy on Us…and on the Whole World

SUNDAY, APRIL 11TH – DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY. In a decree dated August 3, 2002, the Apostolic Penitentiary announced that in order “to ensure that the faithful would observe this day (Divine Mercy Sunday) with intense devotion, the Supreme Pontiff himself established that this Sunday be enriched by a plenary indulgence…so that the faithful might receive in great abundance the gift of the consolation of the Holy Spirit.”

The plenary indulgence is granted (under the usual conditions of a sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and a prayer for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff) to the faithful who, on Divine Mercy Sunday, in a spirit that is completely detached from the affection for a sin, even a venial sin, recite the Our Father and the Creed, and also adding a devout prayer (e.g. Merciful Jesus, I trust in you!).

To fittingly observe the Feast of Mercy, we should:

1.    Celebrate the Feast on the Sunday after Easter;

2.    Sincerely repent of all our sins;

3.    Place our complete trust in Jesus;

4.    Go to Confession, preferably before that Sunday;

5.    Receive Holy Communion on the day of the Feast;

6.    Venerate the Image of The Divine Mercy;

7.    Be merciful to others, through our actions, words, and prayers on their behalf.

Hmm...interesting, although I will be celebrating the Octave of Easter on this day ( Dominica in Albis ).  The modern Divine Mercy devotion is just not my cup of tea.  Now the Sacred Heart devotion - that would be the essence of divine mercy to me.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - OmniaInstaurareInChristo - 03-29-2010

For those who participate in the Divine Mercy devotion, there is a novena that starts on Good Friday and ends the day before Low Sunday/Divine Mercy Sunday.  A google search should find it for those interested.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - trident59 - 03-29-2010

Mike6240,

I agree. I've never been able to get "into" this devotion. Its like the "Luminous Mysteries". I just find them non-traditional. Just me I guess.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - In nomine Patris - 03-29-2010

Non traditional? Sr Faustina was given these in the 1930's. I have her diary book. Way before V2

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - Historian - 03-29-2010

I don't know why some trads are completely against the Divine Mercy devotion to the point that they oppose its practice altogether. My take on this is that in it was quite orthodox in its original meaning in the 1930s but it seems to have overtaken devotion to the rosary and the Sacred Heart in many Novus Ordo parishes, and that no one cares for the justice of God nowadays

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - Historian - 03-29-2010

(03-29-2010, 08:28 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Non traditional? Sr Faustina was given these in the 1930's. I have her diary book. Way before V2

her revelations were not approved by three, possibly four, popes, two before Vatican II, one or two after (John Paul I is the one i'm unsure about.)  they all thought that the new devotion was too similar to the Sacred Heart devotion to be inspired.  also, from what i've read, her diary was largely written by sisters in her convent after her death, Faustina herself being barely literate.

the alleged revelations of Sr. Faustina, a Polish nun, were revived and approved by a Polish pope.  that concerns me.  were they approved due to truth or nationalism?

they are approved so anyone to whom they have meaning can practice the devotion and  i realize the Divine Mercy devotion is important to many people.  i just prefer the Sacred Heart devotion and the Rosary.  we're not required to believe any private revelation at all.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - In nomine Patris - 03-30-2010

(03-29-2010, 10:24 PM)karyn_anne Wrote: I don't know why some trads are completely against the Divine Mercy devotion to the point that they oppose its practice altogether. My take on this is that in it was quite orthodox in its original meaning in the 1930s but it seems to have overtaken devotion to the rosary and the Sacred Heart in many Novus Ordo parishes, and that no one cares for the justice of God nowadays

When I lived in the LA/OC area, I used to sometimes go to a church, usually during the week, (NO but very reverant) that after the mass was over, and many recieved on the tongue kneeling at this mass, the priest would kneel at the foot of the altar and lead the rosary and after that the divine mercy chaplet. I miss that Church. St Peter Chanel, Hawaiin Gardens Ca. Also perpetual adoration.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - In nomine Patris - 03-30-2010

(03-29-2010, 10:57 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(03-29-2010, 08:28 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Non traditional? Sr Faustina was given these in the 1930's. I have her diary book. Way before V2

her revelations were not approved by three, possibly four, popes, two before Vatican II, one or two after (John Paul I is the one i'm unsure about.)  they all thought that the new devotion was too similar to the Sacred Heart devotion to be inspired.  also, from what i've read, her diary was largely written by sisters in her convent after her death, Faustina herself being barely literate.

the alleged revelations of Sr. Faustina, a Polish nun, were revived and approved by a Polish pope.  that concerns me.  were they approved due to truth or nationalism?

they are approved so anyone to whom they have meaning can practice the devotion and  i realize the Divine Mercy devotion is important to many people.  i just prefer the Sacred Heart devotion and the Rosary.  we're not required to believe any private revelation at all.

Your not required to believe anything, and I am not required to not believe it. Personally, I believe. You dont have to choose one over the other. All are good. This sort of division is what makes the devil dance.

Re: Divine Mercy Sunday - Iuvenalis - 03-30-2010

(03-30-2010, 02:28 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote:
(03-29-2010, 10:24 PM)karyn_anne Wrote: I don't know why some trads are completely against the Divine Mercy devotion to the point that they oppose its practice altogether. My take on this is that in it was quite orthodox in its original meaning in the 1930s but it seems to have overtaken devotion to the rosary and the Sacred Heart in many Novus Ordo parishes, and that no one cares for the justice of God nowadays

When I lived in the LA/OC area, I used to sometimes go to a church, usually during the week, (NO but very reverant) that after the mass was over, and many recieved on the tongue kneeling at this mass, the priest would kneel at the foot of the altar and lead the rosary and after that the divine mercy chaplet. I miss that Church. St Peter Chanel, Hawaiin Gardens Ca. Also perpetual adoration.

Yes, wonderful Church. Daily confession too!