FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it (/showthread.php?tid=36010)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Robert De Brus - 05-02-2010

Well, tomorrow I am going to start the Atkins diet.  There is a catch though.  I have been a vegetarian for 11 years now, although if this diet proves too painful I MAY start eating meat again.  Last weigh in I was 264 and I want to get down to about 160-170 range.  Im only 28, but Im scared of becoming diabetic if I keep this weight on.  Looking back on it, I was never fat until shortly after I became a vegetarian in 1999. 

FEs here whove done it - how rough was it?  Id like to read some stories.
EDIT:  Except from people who say 'dont do it'. That isnt the point of this thread.

Re: Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Historian - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 12:30 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote: Well, tomorrow I am going to start the Atkins diet.  There is a catch though.  I have been a vegetarian for 11 years now, although if this diet proves too painful I MAY start eating meat again.  Last weigh in I was 264 and I want to get down to about 160-170 range.  Im only 28, but Im scared of becoming diabetic if I keep this weight on.  Looking back on it, I was never fat until shortly after I became a vegetarian in 1999. 

I do not think that is a wise choice. It relies on people eating certain types of foods by default. So, instead of arbitrarily restricting nutrients and hoping for the best, find the problem and devising a solution may be better.

This particular diet also will be difficult to do as a vegetarian.

From what you say, it sounds like you probably eat a lot of processed food. Eliminating unnatural foods with high glycemic indexes would probably be a better solution. Start with slashing anything with flour or added sugar and then adding whole foods (fruits, vegetables, eggs, etc as you see fit).

Re: Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Texican - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 01:04 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote: I do not think that is a wise choice. It relies on people eating certain types of foods by default. So, instead of arbitrarily restricting nutrients and hoping for the best, find the problem and devising a solution may be better.

From what you say, it sounds like you probably eat a lot of processed food. Eliminating unnatural foods with high glycemic indexes would probably be a better solution. Start with slashing anything with flour or added sugar and then adding whole foods (fruits, vegetables, eggs, etc as you see fit).

and exercise.  Not typical cardio, though.  Instead, lift weights - gain muscle=lose fat.

Re: Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Robert De Brus - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 01:04 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 12:30 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote: Well, tomorrow I am going to start the Atkins diet.  There is a catch though.  I have been a vegetarian for 11 years now, although if this diet proves too painful I MAY start eating meat again.  Last weigh in I was 264 and I want to get down to about 160-170 range.  Im only 28, but Im scared of becoming diabetic if I keep this weight on.  Looking back on it, I was never fat until shortly after I became a vegetarian in 1999. 

I do not think that is a wise choice. It relies on people eating certain types of foods by default. So, instead of arbitrarily restricting nutrients and hoping for the best, find the problem and devising a solution may be better.

Well, I still intend to do the diet, but youre basically correct.  When I became a vegetarian, I started eating alot of processed foods/high carb foods instead of mixing that with protein.  

(05-02-2010, 12:30 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote: FEs here whove done it - how rough was it?  Id like to read some stories.
EDIT:  Except from people who say 'dont do it'. That isnt the point of this thread.

My experience with it has the conclusion that "don't do it" is the best option.

I was malnourished and the diet itself is not sustainable.

I wouldn't say that it isn't sustainable, but you should enjoy food - eating solely for the calories isn't living, in my opinion.

(05-02-2010, 01:09 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote: Well, I still intend to do the diet, but youre basically correct.  When I became a vegetarian, I started eating alot of processed foods/high carb foods instead of mixing that with protein.  

Protein is not the issue. The high amounts of sugars and foods with very high glycemic indexes are. Protein is just a chain of amino acids, and there are many amino acids and eating "protein" requires the protein to be broken down into the amino acids. Plants have less "protein" but they have the amino acids which are needed. So eating plants with a total of only a few grams of "protein" can give enough nutrition for all the protein your body actually needs.

For plants, high fibre and high fat foods are good. Instead of focusing on eating protein rich foods, foods like beans, nuts and avocados will provide fill foods with low glycemic indexes and good nutrition. If you eat eggs, they will be great too (prepared in any way, but keep in mind what you add to them).

That is the reason why I advise against the diet (although, not the principle in general) of Atkins. It focuses on a real problem (too much processed foods with high glycemic indexes) but gives an inadequate roundabout solution.

Re: Atkins - advice from those of you who have done it - Robert De Brus - 05-02-2010

(05-02-2010, 01:18 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(05-02-2010, 01:09 AM)Robert De Brus Wrote: Well, I still intend to do the diet, but youre basically correct.  When I became a vegetarian, I started eating alot of processed foods/high carb foods instead of mixing that with protein.  

Protein is not the issue. The high amounts of sugars and foods with very high glycemic indexes are. Protein is just a chain of amino acids, and there are many amino acids and eating "protein" requires the protein to be broken down into the amino acids. Plants have less "protein" but they have the amino acids which are needed. So eating plants with a total of only a few grams of "protein" can give enough nutrition for all the protein your body actually needs.

For plants, high fibre and high fat foods are good. Instead of focusing on eating protein rich foods, foods like beans, nuts and avocados will provide fill foods with low glycemic indexes and good nutrition. If you eat eggs, they will be great too (prepared in any way, but keep in mind what you add to them).

Well, I should have added - for a time I was a full on vegan (2002-2006 or so), so my protein was near zero.   I never touched beans or nuts really; avocados would be seen as exotic to me then.  My big problem now is that I am totally addicted to soda.  Its not uncommon for me to drink 200 ounces of it in a day sometimes.

Get rid of the soft drinks.  An occasional one isn't bad, but 200 oz. a day is probably your biggest problem.

10 - 20 oz. bottles a day?  Really?  Wow.

(05-02-2010, 01:23 AM)Texican Wrote: Get rid of the soft drinks.  An occasional one isn't bad, but 200 oz. a day is probably your biggest problem.

10 - 20 oz. bottles a day?  Really?  Wow.

No no no not every day!  But sometimes on weekends I will drink that much.  Usually I drink a 'big gulp' or close to that every day.