FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? (/showthread.php?tid=36431)

Pages: 1 2

Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - justlurking - 05-19-2010

Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less?

Or the only acceptable thing is stop sinning completely and for example masturbating 4 times in a month is as bad as masturbating 20 times?

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - JayneK - 05-19-2010

(05-19-2010, 04:38 PM)justlurking Wrote: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less?

Or the only acceptable thing is stop sinning completely and for example masturbating 4 times in a month is as bad as masturbating 20 times?

Theoretically, "baby steps" could be acceptable, but it is very easy to deceive oneself with this approach.  Sins need to be confessed to a priest.  One can ask him about taking a gradual approach in one's specific situation.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - Scipio_a - 05-19-2010

Purposely doing baby steps is silly...it's like a smoker who says he'll smoke 20 cigs today 19 tomorrow 18 next week and so on....he'll never get to zero because of temptation.

The only way to stop something is to do it cold turkey...and you can do it...it just takes immense will power to begin with.  If you fail....don't beat yourself up...this is the devils trick to make you give up in either despair or coming to the conclusion that it's not a sin any way....just go back to confession and try again...and again....and again...if need be....don't fall for the trap.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - Lagrange - 05-19-2010

Concerning mortal sin, baby steps are not sufficient. The purpose of amendment involves resolving not to commit the mortal sin again. So the contrition will be lacking if one confesses mortal sin with the intention of only committing it less.

With venial sin, it's a different story. Often the best plan of action is to tackle them one by one, or to take things one step at a time, so to speak. But a good confessor is best to speak to concerning this.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - Vetus Ordo - 05-20-2010

This is better said than done but you have to stop the mortal sin immediately, abruptly and decisively. Just like quitting smoking or drugs, it requires a strong will.

Whenever you are feeling temptation to sin mortally, think of God and the Saints who are watching you, think of the Blessed Mother, think that you are about to spit in Christ's face once more and meriting Hell. Would you feel like it is acceptable to spit less in the face of God but spit nonetheless?

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - Historian - 05-20-2010

(05-19-2010, 04:38 PM)justlurking Wrote: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less?

Acceptable to do, not really acceptable to plan.

One of the problems in overcoming sin itself, is that total success in a single decision is not statistically likely to succeed. By definition, a person who intends not to sin knows that they will even if they do not plan on it or want to at that time.

Watch out for depression, despondency and scruples.

So, for the baby steps:

* Do not plan or ration out sins. Intend to never sin.
* Confess sins frequently (sometimes, knowing one has to keep track of the sins and then tell them to the priest...possibly the same priest can help deter incidents of sin).
* If you do sin, pray for forgiveness and resolve to not do it again.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - JacafamalaRedux - 05-20-2010

Decide you won't because you want to do what's holy, then count on prayer and grace and get to Confession. If you need, go to Confession again and again, do it. Eventually it'll stick, or else you'll die. Humility.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - simpleabbie - 05-23-2010

What I'd say is that cold turkey is best.  It is possible one may fail and may fall quite a bit.  However, as long as we try again, then it is fine.  I foget where I heard the story, but a man once was walking by a monastery (that said, I've never seen a monastary right by a road, l :) ) and he saw a monk sweeping the porch.  The man asked the monk, what does he do all day?    The monk replied, "I fall, and I get up.  I fall and I get up.  I fall and I get up."  With that the monk blessed the man and returned back inside.

Abbie

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - miss_fluffy - 05-23-2010

(05-20-2010, 05:55 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:

Acceptable to do, not really acceptable to plan.

One of the problems in overcoming sin itself, is that total success in a single decision is not statistically likely to succeed. By definition, a person who intends not to sin knows that they will even if they do not plan on it or want to at that time.

Watch out for depression, despondency and scruples.

So, for the baby steps:

* Do not plan or ration out sins. Intend to never sin.
* Confess sins frequently (sometimes, knowing one has to keep track of the sins and then tell them to the priest...possibly the same priest can help deter incidents of sin).
* If you do sin, pray for forgiveness and resolve to not do it again.

I agree with this post.

Re: Are baby steps acceptable in order to stop sinning or sin less? - obscurus - 05-23-2010

The Christian life is a continuing battle against the old man tainted with the effects of original sin. Sin, if it is mortal and even when it is venial, is an offense against the goodness of God, a God who created us out of love.

Now is the acceptable time for conversion of heart. Our Lord wants our hearts today, this very hour, this very second. The approach to stop sinning must be based on the realization that by our sins we take something away from the honour that is due to God. Our Lord throughout the Gospels says "Sin no more" which should bring home to us that we cannot rationalize our life of sin.

With sin we must stop immediately but of course there is the danger of being too harsh on ourselves. Do not get too frustrated with yourself. Lament your sins but do not fall into a despondency or a type of thinking which does not really believe that we can one day start living a life of profound virtue. It can happen, it has happened and it will happen provided you take the means to achieve the end of Christian perfection.

If we are habitually sinning and then we start sinning less it is only because of the grace of God. It is good but it is not the best. 4 mortal sins during the week is better than 20 mortal sins but 1 mortal sin is all it takes to cast ourselves into damnation. Strive for excellence, find the root cause of your sins, avoid the occasions of sins and have a deep prayer life one which is not superficial or mechanical but is grounded in the Truth of the Divine Logos.

Keep fighting the good fight friend. You have many people praying for you.