FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality (/showthread.php?tid=36448)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - ggreg - 05-20-2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8693560.stm?ls

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - James02 - 05-20-2010

They just found a lot of oil also.  If they have an SSPX chapel, what would be a great place to live.  They have a sizable Catholic population, but I would imagine that it is pretty charismatic.  Don't know.

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - pbmsemwa - 05-20-2010

(05-20-2010, 07:13 AM)James02 Wrote: They just found a lot of oil also.  If they have an SSPX chapel, what would be a great place to live.  They have a sizable Catholic population, but I would imagine that it is pretty charismatic.  Don't know.

They don't have a chapel yet, but a Priest of the society (sspx) makes regular visit there.

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - Tim - 05-20-2010

He tells the British reporter right to his face just how bad Western Society has become and why it is falling apart. That Baptist Pentecostal little preacher has it going on, and he does it with a smile.
tim

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - AlanF - 05-20-2010

BBC Wrote:In Uganda, plans to introduce draconian new laws against homosexuality look likely to go ahead despite mass protests, a major petition, and condemnation from the international community.

The bill, which proposes the death penalty for so-called 'serial offenders', has already been described as 'odious' by President Obama.

A senior minister in Kampala has suggested that the death penalty could be replaced with life imprisonment.

John Simpson reports from Kampala.

Excellent "impartial" reporting from the BBC again... ::)

I say good on Uganda! It's nice to see al least one country going in the right direction.

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - Robert De Brus - 05-20-2010

(05-20-2010, 07:13 AM)James02 Wrote: They just found a lot of oil also.  If they have an SSPX chapel, what would be a great place to live.  They have a sizable Catholic population, but I would imagine that it is pretty charismatic.  Don't know.

I believe it has a large Anglican population, but with the recent Anglican agreement perhaps some can be put into the Catholic fold.

My only question is - do we really think the death penalty is appropriate?  Even our old anti-sodomy laws were never that harsh.

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - Jesse - 05-20-2010

(05-20-2010, 09:40 AM)AlanF Wrote:
BBC Wrote:In Uganda, plans to introduce draconian new laws against homosexuality look likely to go ahead despite mass protests, a major petition, and condemnation from the international community.

The bill, which proposes the death penalty for so-called 'serial offenders', has already been described as 'odious' by President Obama.

A senior minister in Kampala has suggested that the death penalty could be replaced with life imprisonment.

John Simpson reports from Kampala.

Excellent "impartial" reporting from the BBC again... ::)

I say good on Uganda! It's nice to see al least one country going in the right direction.

The death penalty for sodomy IS draconian.  It's one thing to condemn homosexuality, it's quite another to kill homosexuals.  This is not a country "going in the right direction," especially since the law requires friends and family members to turn in homosexuals or be subject to prosecution themselves.  This is a country that is swinging to the opposite extreme in response to homosexuality.  Consensual crimes should never be capital.

I have feeling this thread might deteriorate.  Let's try to to keep it sane and within the forum rules.

Pax,
Jesse

(05-20-2010, 09:55 AM)Jesse Wrote: Consensual crimes should never be capital.

Maybe corporal?  I wouldnt mind a return of corporal punishment, in all seriousness.

Re: Uganda Criminalizes Homosexuality - James02 - 05-20-2010

I was under the impression that the death penalty would be used on sodomites with AIDS who persist in sodomy.  That would be appropriate.  Killing a sodomite outright, I don't think that is a capital offense, though the Lord rained down fire and brimstone on sodomites in the past.  But my opinion is that it is not a capital offense.  

(05-20-2010, 10:01 AM)James02 Wrote: I was under the impression that the death penalty would be used on sodomites with AIDS who persist in sodomy.  That would be appropriate.  Killing a sodomite outright, I don't think that is a capital offense, though the Lord rained down fire and brimstone on sodomites in the past.  But my opinion is that it is not a capital offense.  

That sounds more appropriate.  I'd favor corporal punishment for regular offenders, though.